MinnPost has an idea: PJ to the Vikings... šŸ˜±

Players wouldn't respond very well to him.
That's your bias. Players _love_ Pete Carroll. The coaches that struggle in the NFL are the ones that need to be in control of every aspect of the operation. PJ knows what he doesn't know, knows how to inspire others, and knows how to treat people with respect. Would be a solid pivot to a winners mentality given what they were working with before. Would also make it much easier to root for the Vikings.

Thereā€™s lazy ass speculation.
And then thereā€™s this ā€¦
lazier assier speculation that is so slothly that one canā€™t even bother wandering outside of oneā€™s own media market to forage for a moist turd to sling against the wall.

I like PJ. I think he works best as a builder. I don't see him as a good candidate to leave and take over a winning program to sustain, he rows his own boat. I also don't see him as a NFL coach. Anyone remember Jim Zorn and the Hip Hip Hooray?

Pete Carroll is not a good example. He spent 10 yrs in college coaching. None as a Head coach. Before working 9 years, with 3 different teams as an Assistant Coach. Before he got the Head Coaching job with the Jets.

Where he went 6-10 and got fired. Then back to NFL Assistant before he got to USC, then to the Seahawks.

Fleck spent '04-'05 in S.F. as a WR, then was an Assistant Coach there for a year.

Examples of successful College Head Coaches who went right to that job in the Pros? It has happened. At least eventually. Though more have failed.

Found this online. Not sure of the time they may or may not have spent in the NFL as an assistant before they got the call-up from College.Paul Brown is in there too, but different circumstances.

College coaches in the NFL
  • 1 / 10. Failed: Nick Saban. ...
  • 2 / 10. Failed: Steve Spurrier. ...
  • 3 / 10. Failed: Lou Holtz. ...
  • 4 / 10. Failed: Dennis Erickson. ...
  • 5 / 10. Failed: Bobby Petrino. ...
  • 6 / 10. Succeeded: Tom Coughlin. ...
  • 7 / 10. Succeeded: Jim Harbaugh. ...
  • 8 / 10. Succeeded: Jimmy Johnson.

He might be a "young coach", which is the way the NFL is trending, but his philosophy of an offense and his game theory decisions are more old school and not a trend. Don't see him making the move.
I believe he might some day, but right now is not the time. He needs to finish what he started here!

He is very strong in some areas (team building, motivation, player management), but he has too many weaknesses to have a high chance of success in the NFL in my opinion. His weaknesses in game management, clock management, and having a role in scouting/drafting players would be tough to overcome, but I suppose it could be done with right mix of coaches and staff. Not worth the risk, but Iā€™m not an NFL GM or owner.

Fleck's approach works with college-age players.

I am doubtful the same approach would work with players who are 25, 30 or 30+ years old - and are being paid more than the coach.

the Coach-player relationship is completely different in the pros compared to college. in college, the head coach has all the power. (altho that has changed a little with the portal).

in the pros, the coach is not as all-powerful as he is in college, and the players know it.

Heā€™s a CEO type and that would work better than Zimmerā€™s one side of the field approach.
I donā€™t think he is interested in the NFL at this point.

Would be probably received as well by the players as Les Steckel. Nightmares of trying to get pro athletes to do team building exercises that work for college athletes.

Would be probably received as well by the players as Les Steckel. Nightmares of trying to get pro athletes to do team building exercises that work for college athletes.
He played in the NFL. I doubt he would have trouble adjusting to the NFL. Everyone likes having a good boss. That doesn't stop when you're 22.

Why are you assuming he's going to be doing team building exercises? I think PJ is very bright and I think PJ wants to win. He's been in the NFL and has a better idea of what would work and what wouldn't than we do. Quite sure he's capable of redoing or discarding some of his methods. Having said that, I also think he realizes college is a better fit for him.

Pete Carroll is not a good example. He spent 10 yrs in college coaching. None as a Head coach. Before working 9 years, with 3 different teams as an Assistant Coach. Before he got the Head Coaching job with the Jets.

Where he went 6-10 and got fired. Then back to NFL Assistant before he got to USC, then to the Seahawks.

Fleck spent '04-'05 in S.F. as a WR, then was an Assistant Coach there for a year.

Examples of successful College Head Coaches who went right to that job in the Pros? It has happened. At least eventually. Though more have failed.

Found this online. Not sure of the time they may or may not have spent in the NFL as an assistant before they got the call-up from College.Paul Brown is in there too, but different circumstances.

College coaches in the NFL
  • 1 / 10. Failed: Nick Saban. ...
  • 2 / 10. Failed: Steve Spurrier. ...
  • 3 / 10. Failed: Lou Holtz. ...
  • 4 / 10. Failed: Dennis Erickson. ...
  • 5 / 10. Failed: Bobby Petrino. ...
  • 6 / 10. Succeeded: Tom Coughlin. ...
  • 7 / 10. Succeeded: Jim Harbaugh. ...
  • 8 / 10. Succeeded: Jimmy Johnson.

Yeah you can pick 8 guys and say if they succeeded or failed. But

firstly, 3/8 is a pretty good success rate
Secondly, probably a majority of coaches in the nfl have experience coaching in collegeā€¦
Bill Parcells (Air Force head)
Tony dungy
Bruce Arians (temple head)
Andy Reid (9 years at the college level)
Doug Pederson (was coaching high school 9 years before being a head coach in the nfl)

It is funny when people want to talk about ā€œcollege guysā€ failing when the vast majority of all these guys are at one point high school or college guys.
Like this list says it rarely happensā€¦3/8 on the list were extremely successful.

On this list that is ā€œbadā€ 37.5% appear in a Super Bowl.
of the 511 head coaches in nfl history, 60 have won an NFL title (pre Super Bowl) or appeared in a Super Bowl (12%) so isnā€™t 3/8 an extremely high success rate historically?

THIS IS NOT ME SAYING PJ FLECK WOULD BE A GOOD NFL COACH.

Last edited:

Thereā€™s lazy ass speculation.
And then thereā€™s this ā€¦
lazier assier speculation that is so slothly that one canā€™t even bother wandering outside of oneā€™s own media market to forage for a moist turd to sling against the wall.
Why not Mike Grant while weā€™re at it?

THIS IS NOT ME SAYING PJ FLECK WOULD BE A GOOD NFL COACH.
The list NFL.Com composed was Pro Coaches who went directly from a College Head Coaching job to a Pro Head Coaching job. Arians, Dungy, Parcells, Andy Reid? None of them did.

Petrino did, He went from Louisville to Atlanta. Where he went 4-10 then quit before the season ended. Looks like Pederson didn't have any College Coaching experience at all.

But you had a point you were trying to make. Usually it 's just "Okay Boomer"? :giggle:

Top Bottom