Minnesota's PJ Fleck misses out on bowl-victory bonus for bizarre reason

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Ryan:

However, although the record is on Fleck's career record, it is not reflected in his net worth.

According to USA Today, Fleck will not receive an extra payday for the victory, because his team had not automatically qualified for the bowl.

There is apparently a contract in his clause that states he is not due a bowl-participation bonus because they were 5-7 in the regular season.

Go Gophers!!

PJ Fleck makes enough money. Now imo his assistants need a 40% pay increase to stay relevant. And upgrade coaches with large rear pool.

No matter how we got to a bowl game...the coaching staff and PJ still need to plan and work 15 more practices. It is a benefit to the program.
Doesn't matter to me how we got there. If he gets a bonus for bowl games then he should get a bonus for this one too.
Seems Coyle may utilize the opportunity to show PJ he still believes in him and he will the get the bonus.

No matter how we got to a bowl game...the coaching staff and PJ still need to plan and work 15 more practices. It is a benefit to the program.
Doesn't matter to me how we got there. If he gets a bonus for bowl games then he should get a bonus for this one too.
Seems Coyle may utilize the opportunity to show PJ he still believes in him and he will the get the bonus.
Then he should have had his lawyers put it in his contract.

This was a pretty easy clause that was obviously written in a deliberate way to exclude bonusing a 5-7 season and PJ agreed to that contract.

This was a pretty easy clause that was obviously written in a deliberate way to exclude bonusing a 5-7 season and PJ agreed to that contract.
Yeah, and PJ will be ok.

PJ Fleck makes enough money. Now imo his assistants need a 40% pay increase to stay relevant. And upgrade coaches with large rear pool.
Our current coaches don’t need raises they don’t have resumes to command same. If we hire some folks with more chops, then I’m all for paying whatever it takes.

I get all that. I just still don't agree with stipulating the clause in the first place. Last I heard ... one 5 and 7 team qualified for a bowl. That means PJ managed the program for 120 guys to achieve academic excellence better than any other qualifiers. And we are a learning institution first.

The coaches coach for weeks extra by accepting the bowl. The school gets some PR attention and adds some money to the pot.

The idea it's excluded is my disagreement...not that PJ needs the money. Sends the wrong message to the faculty, school, administration and players. Education is not important.

I get all that. I just still don't agree with stipulating the clause in the first place. Last I heard ... one 5 and 7 team qualified for a bowl. That means PJ managed the program for 120 guys to achieve academic excellence better than any other qualifiers. And we are a learning institution first.

The coaches coach for weeks extra by accepting the bowl. The school gets some PR attention and adds some money to the pot.

The idea it's excluded is my disagreement...not that PJ needs the money. Sends the wrong message to the faculty, school, administration and players. Education is not important.
There's usually separate bonuses for academics.

Either way PJ's rep and the U's negotiated this and it's pretty straightforward. Someone decided "yeah I'm not going to fight for 5 wins getting a bonus" at some point and they all agreed to it.

It should be kept this way for any subsequent contracts.

Either way PJ's rep and the U's negotiated this and it's pretty straightforward. Someone decided "yeah I'm not going to fight for 5 wins getting a bonus" at some point and they all agreed to it.
Again I get it...not worried about PJ...I just think it diminishes academics to exclude it.
To me, it is impressive... the annual academic levels the football program is achieving each year.
And, if you do well enough academically to get to a bowl game with only 5 wins....well, maybe that should be celebrated (or at least not excluded)...is my thought?

Obviously, I'm not with the majority thinking... once again.

But, they won 6 games total.

It wasn't excluded. These are mutually agreed upon terms. I get that we're a learning institution and PJ is already bonuses on academic performance and graduation rate. This particular bonus was for performance on the football field and was not designed to bonus a team that went 5-7. If you have issues with that, PJ is just as much to blame as the U for "excluding" that clause. He, and his lawyers, did not push for that exception, at least not hard enough to get it.

He didn't coach for extra weeks. His job is year round. We aren't taking money back if they don't go to a bowl game. It's an almost $5 million job.

It wasn't excluded. These are mutually agreed upon terms. I get that we're a learning institution and PJ is already bonuses on academic performance and graduation rate. This particular bonus was for performance on the football field and was not designed to bonus a team that went 5-7. If you have issues with that, PJ is just as much to blame as the U for "excluding" that clause. He, and his lawyers, did not push for that exception, at least not hard enough to get it.

He didn't coach for extra weeks. His job is year round. We aren't taking money back if they don't go to a bowl game. It's an almost $5 million job.
Okay, my problem is with Mark Coyle for making this an issue. It shouldn't be a talking point is what I'm saying.
Not fighting for PJ to get more money. It's the perception of eliminating this one.
Should PJ really get a bonus if we win 6 games? If he should, then in my opinion he should get one for winning 5 and qualifying for a bowl because of academics. Both are crappy seasons on the football field.
I don't get the why? Other than , hey let's save the $10,000 or $25,000 ... whatever he gets for 6 wins. Why eliminate 5 if the only way you get there is academic achievment.
Just seems to me like we are pissing in our own pool by diminishing the achievement by calling attention to it not being worthy. I mean if you win 6 games....you can be really crappy academically and nobody cares for a few years until it gets punished for being perennially bad. So, in a twisted way getting to a bowl with 5 wins is pretty cool. It wasn't easy to do.

Are the bowl bonuses stair stepped? So much for 6,more for 7, more than that for 8, and on up wins? Stair step 5 to a low number versus nothing.
Probably not a big deal...just think it was an odd exclusion perceptually for an academic institution.

Okay, my problem is with Mark Coyle for making this an issue. It shouldn't be a talking point is what I'm saying.
Not fighting for PJ to get more money. It's the perception of eliminating this one.
Should PJ really get a bonus if we win 6 games? If he should, then in my opinion he should get one for winning 5 and qualifying for a bowl because of academics. Both are crappy seasons on the football field.
I don't get the why? Other than , hey let's save the $10,000 or $25,000 ... whatever he gets for 6 wins. Why eliminate 5 if the only way you get there is academic achievment.
Just seems to me like we are pissing in our own pool by diminishing the achievement by calling attention to it not being worthy. I mean if you win 6 games....you can be really crappy academically and nobody cares for a few years until it gets punished for being perennially bad. So, in a twisted way getting to a bowl with 5 wins is pretty cool. It wasn't easy to do.

Are the bowl bonuses stair stepped? So much for 6,more for 7, more than that for 8, and on up wins? Stair step 5 to a low number versus nothing.
Probably not a big deal...just think it was an odd exclusion perceptually for an academic institution.
These are all questions that PJ and his high powered lawyers and the U and their high-powered lawyers have hashed out and agreed upon. All of these questions that you're asking have been hashed out by a group of attorneys all billing at $600 per hour +. This isn't some guy who is getting his Christmas bonus pulled from him because he didn't read the fine print.

Per Ryan:

However, although the record is on Fleck's career record, it is not reflected in his net worth.

According to USA Today, Fleck will not receive an extra payday for the victory, because his team had not automatically qualified for the bowl.

There is apparently a contract in his clause that states he is not due a bowl-participation bonus because they were 5-7 in the regular season.

Go Gophers!!
The contract in his clause is the ointment in the fly.

PJ gets paid millions to coach the team 12 months a year. Preparing the team for a game is his job and what his salary is for.

The bonus is an award for achievement not pay for working another game.

PJ gets paid millions to coach the team 12 months a year. Preparing the team for a game is his job and what his salary is for.

The bonus is an award for achievement not pay for working another game.
He had an achievement...he led the team to academically qualify for a bowl with 5 wins. If you are gonna pay him for 6 wins...then why not for 5 wins if they get you to a bowl? 5 is more impressive than 6 because only the highest academic team qualified. Bunch of schleps pasted 6 wins together. Only one 5 win team went to a bowl.

If Fleck continues to qualify for Bowls with an overall record of 5-7, in addition to not receiving a bonus based upon on field achievements, he will be terminated.

Top Bottom