Minnesota will host Lindenwood in 2027

Here's the back story...Ben was over at PJ's....they had a few beers...the topic of non conference scheduling came up....PJ says: "Have you ever heard of Lindenwood? Ben says: "HaHa, no but they want to play us in basketball. PJ says: "Okay, one game of 8 ball...loser has to schedule 'em." And Ben ran the table!

The game is in 2028. How they did in 2023 is irrelevant. They just moved up to D1. Who knows how good or bad they'll be in 4 years.

What's the advantage of playing a Northern Iowa type instead?

All right. I agree with that. I guess I thought the game was sooner than that.

Another fact about Lindenwood. They have the premier program for collegiate trap shooting. They give scholarships for trap and have won several national championships. A friends son got a scholarship there for trap. Won two national championships while he was there.

Another fact about Lindenwood. They have the premier program for collegiate trap shooting. They give scholarships for trap and have won several national championships. A friends son got a scholarship there for trap. Won two national championships while he was there.
It's a really good rugby school as well.

That’s crazy. How many schools do they compete against?

Go Gophers!!

I don't know how or why, but I went down this rabbit hole.

Apparently, MN is a leader in this and was the first state to setup a state HS program back in 2009. I quote I saw: “We had about 10 student athletes participating in the tournament (2009),” USA Clay Target League (USACTL) president John Nelson told Minnesota Public Radio in June 2023. “Fast forward to where we’re at today for the trapshooting championship, and we have over 8,000 student athletes participating and 340 teams. … We have had more than 250,000 student-athletes through our program.

Last time Lindendwood came to Minnesota in 2004 they were down 10-0 at the half but rallied to beat my Northwestern Eagles 14-10. We should have had another touchdown in the 4th quarter but refs thought a fumble occured just prior to crossing the plane. Looking forward to getting some revenge.

Georgia Southern is this year's skeet shooting champs (why didn't GSU Talon tell us?), don't see anything about trap shooting. And here's to our Gophers being ballroom dancing national champs! Why was this tweet the first I heard of this?!?

Last edited:

I don't want to speak for the poster you are replying to, but I think the idea is to play competition that might challenge us a little more, give us a better idea of what we need to work on, etc. vs. just beating an over-matched team into submission without any real effort.
Couldn't you say that is San Jose St.?

Couldn't you say that is San Jose St.?
If Alabama can schedule one automatic win, we can too. Our schedules are going to be plenty difficult year-in, year-out with the new Big Ten teams and a 10 game conference schedule.

Plus I imagine the coaches want at least one game where they are expected to win fairly easily. It allows them to plays some younger guys.
You're aware of our coach, right? We'll come out of halftime up 30-0 with a T.O.P. advantage of like 27:00 to 3:00 and our starting RB will be lined up in the backfield ready to receive his 31st handoff. Then sometime in the 4th quarter when it's 3rd down and only 0:59 seconds left, PJ will pull the starters and let the backups get that final kneel-down before punting.

You're aware of our coach, right? We'll come out of halftime up 30-0 with a T.O.P. advantage of like 27:00 to 3:00 and our starting RB will be lined up in the backfield ready to receive his 31st handoff. Then sometime in the 4th quarter when it's 3rd down and only 0:59 seconds left, PJ will pull the starters and let the backups get that final kneel-down before punting.
The last time they played an FCS team 3 QBs threw passes and 7 RBs had rushing attempts. Starters were largely done by mid 3rd quarter.

Kolpack: Gophers vs. Lindenwood in football? Another dagger to Bison glory days​

The FBS scheduling arrangement at the Division I university 240 miles to the southeast just reached another level on Tuesday. The University of Minnesota announced a nonconference football game with Lindenwood University.

Football, not hockey. Football, not men’s or women’s basketball. Football, not soccer.

Football.

Just keep turning the knife. Another dagger. Another shot to those memories of North Dakota State and Minnesota filling the Metrodome or packing the current Huntington Bank Stadium.

It’s been seven years since NDSU has successfully scheduled an FBS game, but the Bison keep trying. The 2022 Arizona game was signed in 2017. The Aug. 29 University of Colorado game was finalized in 2016. The Bison are playing Oregon in 2028, although that deal was a postponement from the 2020 pandemic and that game was also booked in 2016.

Todd Phelps, NDSU’s deputy director of athletics, uses software called “Gridiron” in finding opponents. It includes FBS schools looking for FCS opponents or vice versa, and gives a directory on who and how to contact.

“Yeah, I am constantly still reaching out,” Phelps said, “whether it’s an email or phone call and saying, here are the dates I have available, let me know. I’m not getting a lot of luck. It’s still ongoing with Group of Fives and Power Fives and still striking out.”

That, obviously, still includes Minnesota. Phelps doesn’t bother to contact the Gophers directly anymore, saying he’s heard from his coaches who know their coaches who indicated there is no interest.

South Dakota State? Don’t bother calling. The University of North Dakota has 2028 and 2030 games scheduled at Minnesota; UND fans better hope a buyout isn’t part of that equation.

Who is Lindenwood, Gopher fans may ask? It’s a private university of around 7,000 students located in St. Charles, Missouri, about 20 minutes north of St. Louis. The Lions’ season-opening games just two years ago, just several months removed from announcing a reclassification from Division II to Division I, were against Houston Baptist and Keiser University. This is no offense to Keiser from West Palm Beach, Florida, which won the NAIA national championship last year.

The Lions began last season against Wisconsin-Stevens Point. But things are escalating in a hurry; next fall’s opener is at the University of Kansas. They joined the Ohio Valley Conference.

I’ve been to Lindenwood. Granted it was two years ago, but it was a nice facility with some cool brick to the football stadium — if you’re an MIAC school. It seats 7,450. I have a college friend who was once on the school’s trustee board who predicted two years ago the school would not support all of its athletic programs.

In March, the school announced it was dropping 10 sports, which was more of a move to streamline its athletic department. It most likely had too many programs if it was going to bring the others up to D-I standards. The athletic director called it a move for the “long-term sustainability” of the program.

There is potential here. Lindenwood has history to it; founded in 1832, it’s the second-oldest college west of the Mississippi River. When it comes to athletics, better late than never.

The Lou Brock Sports Complex baseball stadium has an amazing bronze statue of Lou getting ready to steal a base out front.

Yes, the Lions playing at Minnesota is not shattering news. It’s all about being bowl-eligible and facing top-tier FCS teams is a risk. The Big Ten isn’t easy, with USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon coming into the mix. It’s about wins, at the expense of fans. It happens here (see NDSU men’s basketball vs. Oak Hill Christian). SDSU is playing Augustana in football this season.

At least there’s hope elsewhere. Iowa State and Iowa still play every year in a nonconference football game. Northern Iowa has been a regular on the Iowa and ISU schedule over the years.

UNI has both Iowa and Iowa State in 2026. The Bison have East Tennessee State, Central Arkansas and Austin Peay. As for FBS games?

“We’ve been close on a few things, it just hasn’t been able to work out,” Phelps said.

Go Gophers!!

When I first saw this thread, I assumed hosting 'Lindenwood' in 2027 was about a hot-shot 9th grader who the Gophers were trying to get in on early in the recruiting process?!

Little did I know it was about an actual D1 game being scheduled :oops:

Why not just go ahead and schedule St. Thomas instead?

Not sure what is happening to the sport I've always loved? :banghead:

When I first saw this thread, I assumed hosting 'Lindenwood' in 2027 was about a hot-shot 9th grader who the Gophers were trying to get in on early in the recruiting process?!

Little did I know it was about an actual D1 game being scheduled :oops:

Why not just go ahead and schedule St. Thomas instead?

Not sure what is happening to the sport I've always loved? :banghead:
There are just some things that we don’t talk about here and locking up with UST and NDSU is in that category! Weird,🤪 I know. I say bring them in to the Bank and let the boys go at it. 🏈

The last time they played an FCS team 3 QBs threw passes and 7 RBs had rushing attempts. Starters were largely done by mid 3rd quarter.
You expect him to care about facts? How will he make a terrible argument if he has to worry about those?!?!? :eek::ROFLMAO:

Kolpack: Gophers vs. Lindenwood in football? Another dagger to Bison glory days​

The FBS scheduling arrangement at the Division I university 240 miles to the southeast just reached another level on Tuesday. The University of Minnesota announced a nonconference football game with Lindenwood University.

Football, not hockey. Football, not men’s or women’s basketball. Football, not soccer.

Football.

Just keep turning the knife. Another dagger. Another shot to those memories of North Dakota State and Minnesota filling the Metrodome or packing the current Huntington Bank Stadium.

It’s been seven years since NDSU has successfully scheduled an FBS game, but the Bison keep trying. The 2022 Arizona game was signed in 2017. The Aug. 29 University of Colorado game was finalized in 2016. The Bison are playing Oregon in 2028, although that deal was a postponement from the 2020 pandemic and that game was also booked in 2016.

Todd Phelps, NDSU’s deputy director of athletics, uses software called “Gridiron” in finding opponents. It includes FBS schools looking for FCS opponents or vice versa, and gives a directory on who and how to contact.

“Yeah, I am constantly still reaching out,” Phelps said, “whether it’s an email or phone call and saying, here are the dates I have available, let me know. I’m not getting a lot of luck. It’s still ongoing with Group of Fives and Power Fives and still striking out.”

That, obviously, still includes Minnesota. Phelps doesn’t bother to contact the Gophers directly anymore, saying he’s heard from his coaches who know their coaches who indicated there is no interest.

South Dakota State? Don’t bother calling. The University of North Dakota has 2028 and 2030 games scheduled at Minnesota; UND fans better hope a buyout isn’t part of that equation.

Who is Lindenwood, Gopher fans may ask? It’s a private university of around 7,000 students located in St. Charles, Missouri, about 20 minutes north of St. Louis. The Lions’ season-opening games just two years ago, just several months removed from announcing a reclassification from Division II to Division I, were against Houston Baptist and Keiser University. This is no offense to Keiser from West Palm Beach, Florida, which won the NAIA national championship last year.

The Lions began last season against Wisconsin-Stevens Point. But things are escalating in a hurry; next fall’s opener is at the University of Kansas. They joined the Ohio Valley Conference.

I’ve been to Lindenwood. Granted it was two years ago, but it was a nice facility with some cool brick to the football stadium — if you’re an MIAC school. It seats 7,450. I have a college friend who was once on the school’s trustee board who predicted two years ago the school would not support all of its athletic programs.

In March, the school announced it was dropping 10 sports, which was more of a move to streamline its athletic department. It most likely had too many programs if it was going to bring the others up to D-I standards. The athletic director called it a move for the “long-term sustainability” of the program.

There is potential here. Lindenwood has history to it; founded in 1832, it’s the second-oldest college west of the Mississippi River. When it comes to athletics, better late than never.

The Lou Brock Sports Complex baseball stadium has an amazing bronze statue of Lou getting ready to steal a base out front.

Yes, the Lions playing at Minnesota is not shattering news. It’s all about being bowl-eligible and facing top-tier FCS teams is a risk. The Big Ten isn’t easy, with USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon coming into the mix. It’s about wins, at the expense of fans. It happens here (see NDSU men’s basketball vs. Oak Hill Christian). SDSU is playing Augustana in football this season.

At least there’s hope elsewhere. Iowa State and Iowa still play every year in a nonconference football game. Northern Iowa has been a regular on the Iowa and ISU schedule over the years.

UNI has both Iowa and Iowa State in 2026. The Bison have East Tennessee State, Central Arkansas and Austin Peay. As for FBS games?

“We’ve been close on a few things, it just hasn’t been able to work out,” Phelps said.

Go Gophers!!
What a friggin baby. This article is just sad and totally pathetic.

Good.

They should never have been on a U of M schedule.

You can throw out all the stars when two juggernauts like Minnesota and Lindenwood meet.

Football.

Go Gophers!!
I could solve North Dakota states inability to schedule a game

Play the game for a lower price

Top Bottom