Minnesota Vs. North Carolina 2024 Media Predictions

IceBoxGopher

Reaction score
College Football News has Minnesota edging North Carolina, 27-24
Last year North Carolina dominated the time of possession battle. Maye was brilliant on third downs and the Gophers seemingly never had the ball.

That’s not how Minnesota normally rolls under PJ Fleck.

At home in front of a national audience, the Big Ten team will look the part with more blasting from the offensive front and more control to keep the Tar Heel offense off the field.

Flip the possession time, expect more of a balanced offense from the Gophers, and Minnesota will get its revenge.

The Fayetteville (NC) Observer has North Carolina winning 24-20
The Tar Heels dominated last season’s game in a rout at Kenan Stadium. Both teams have question marks, but UNC seems like the better bet to have stability in the opener.

Not sure I like that the two people in the group that know college ball the most picked against the Gophers

Not sure I like that the two people in the group that know college ball the most picked against the Gophers

Desmond knows his shit. And I believe he may have been the only panelist to pick the Gophers to beat Iowa last year.

Godzilla Wins has North Carolina winning the game
Minnesota has improved, and this seems to be a year where Fleck rows the boat back on course. But Carolina just doesn’t lose in the first part of the season unless it’s playing Notre Dame. The Heels are likely to play as if this is Brown’s final season, and they want to make this one to remember for him… As it is, I’m backing the Heels.

Picks and Parlays has North Carolina coming out with a victory
North Carolina and Minnesota will have new quarterbacks under center this season but North Carolina has the better overall offense as many skill-position players return from last season. North Carolina also has several players on the defense that are back from last season, while Minnesota has had to retool much of its defense and will have a new defensive coordinator as well.

Pick Dawgz has Minnesota winning the game
The North Carolina Tar Heels has the better overall talent and a more balanced offense to where you can make a case for a nice road win. The concern is UNC returns just one starter on the offensive line, and this is a physical Minnesota squad that's going to want to dominate the trenches.

That Minnesota Golden Gophers running game could punch North Carolina in the mouth if it's not careful, and Jah Joyner has to be drooling at the UNC inexperience up front. Joyner said this offseason that he's coming for double-digit sacks. This could be a start. I like Minnesota and its physicality to lead the way for a hard fought week 1 victory.

Desmond knows his shit. And I believe he may have been the only panelist to pick the Gophers to beat Iowa last year.
Desmond suggested that the reason the Gophers struggled last year was because Cole Kramer got hurt, so AK had to play.....

So I don't disagree that in general Des knows his shit, but I think he might have been a bit off on his analysis of Minnesota's 2023 season.

Playing at home on opening night, what’s your prediction for the upcoming matchup between Minnesota and North Carolina? Additionally, what must Minnesota do to win this game?

"This game is hard to predict. Both teams bring back experience but have new players in important positions.

While the Gophers have their own question marks heading into the season, one thing that is comforting is that Minnesota is experienced and talented in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The offensive line returns four starters, including All-American Aireontae Ersery at left tackle. If Minnesota can win the battle in the trenches, which I think they should, I like their chances in this game. Given that this game is at home at night, I will give the edge to the Gophers. I think the Gophers preseason All-American kicker, Dragan Kesich, will be the X-factor in this game."

Give me Minnesota: 27. North Carolina: 24

Athlon Sports has North Carolina edging Minnesota, 24-23
This game is one of the more evenly matched contests for Week 1. How Brosmer performs in his first FBS game is an x-factor. Also, Minnesota could be shorthanded at the skill spots if Taylor and Jackson are unable to go.

Even with a shorthanded offense, the Golden Gophers can still find ways to attack a Tar Heels' defense that enters '24 with question marks once again. If Taylor and Jackson both play, Minnesota should find a way to win a close one. But without any clarity on their status, a slight edge goes to the Tar Heels.

Gopher Illustrated (247 Sports) has Minnesota winning 26-24
If PJ Fleck and Minnesota are going to walk out of Huntington Bank Stadium with a win, it comes down to the same formula as with most Gopher victories.

Dominate time of possession, win the explosive play margin, and don't miss as many tackles as the other team. Welcome to the 78% that Fleck is constantly referencing.

But it's also seeing the Minnesota offense be much more efficient in the red zone, as leaving possessions with three or zero points isn't going to beat the Tar Heels. On the flip side, if Corey Hetherman's defense can't stop hemorrhaging explosive plays or stop the run, it'll be a long night.

Once both sides settle in after the first 20 minutes or so, the actual football game begins. I have more faith in Minnesota's offensive and defensive lines than I do North Carolina's. That plays the deciding factor in the last third of the game, and Minnesota is able to knock off the Tar Heels because of it.

Top Bottom