Minnesota Vs. Nevada 2024 Media Predictions

Facing a team from the Mountain West hasn’t been a day at the beach for the Gophers...
Minnesota has an all time record of 14-3 Vs. the Mountain West Conference:
  • Vs. Colorado State: 4-0
  • Vs. San Jose State: 3-1
  • Vs. Nevada-LV: 2-0
  • Vs. Fresno State: 2-0
  • Vs. Air Force: 1-0
  • Vs. Wyoming: 1-0
  • Vs. San Diego St: 1-1
  • Vs. Hawaii: 0-1
The three losses all occurred during the 1990s. In 1992, Minnesota opened its season with a 39-30 loss against San Jose State and finished 2-9. The 1993 game against San Diego State was week 4, where the Aztecs won 48-17 and Minnesota finished 4-7. In 1997, the Gophers opened their season in Hawaii and lost 17-3 before finishing the year at 3-9.

The biggest wins against the Mountain West include:
  • Wyoming, 46-0 in 1946
  • Colorado State, 56-24 in 2005
  • Nevada-LV, 51-23 in 2013
  • San Diego State, 40-17 in 1994
  • San Jose State, 43-24 in 2013.
This will be the first time Minnesota plays Nevada. They also haven’t played Boise State, New Mexico and Utah State. Minnesota has a losing record of 2-3 against former Mountain West members, though they have not played BYU.
  • Vs. TCU: 1-2
  • Vs. Utah: 1-1
All time, the Gophers have a 79-10-1 record Vs. current Group of 5 teams.

The Pioneer Press is predicting a 28-20 Minnesota win
Minnesota Offense Vs. Nevada Defense: The Gophers’ 27 total completions vs. Rhode Island (Max Brosmer’s 24 and Drake Lindsey’s three) combined for a single-game high across head coach P.J. Fleck’s 86 total games at the U. … RB Darius Taylor made his season debut last week and had 112 all-purpose yards … Nevada is the third-worst tackling team in the country, but is considered the 19th-best in coverage, according to Pro Football Focus grades. Edge: Gophers

Minnesota Defense Vs. Nevada Offense:
fter missing a stunning 22 tackles against North Carolina, Minnesota only missed six versus Rhode Island, per defensive coordinator Corey Hetherman. Minnesota forced four turnovers against Rhode Island, while Red had a gut-wrenching fumble late against Georgia Southern. Edge: Gophers

Special Teams:
Dragan Kesich bounced back from missing the game-winning kick against North Carolina to make two of three against Rams, including a 53-yarder. Edge: Gophers

Final Prediction:
With the rivalry game against Iowa looming next week, Minnesota’s offensive line and running game take a step forward. But how close the score is Saturday brings some nervousness going into Floyd of Rosedale game.

I guess I'm a little surprised at the number of predictions that have the game close...under 14 points.

I guess I'm a little surprised at the number of predictions that have the game close...under 14 points.
I've kind of noticed that there's been more of them as the week's been going on? Earlier predictions had it with Minnesota having a more comfortable win. Not sure if people are doing more in depth analysis and finding additional positives to Nevada's game or what.

Chris chimes in:

Prediction

Minnesota 27, Nevada 17: This game’s betting line has gone from Nevada getting 11 points to 17, so the bettors clearly like the Gophers, and it’s easy to see why. But Nevada has generally played well against the Big Ten over the years, and this Wolf Pack team seems capable of matching the physical play the Gophers want to establish. It helps that Minnesota’s run game has been in shambles in the first two weeks. But the Gophers should be 2-0 – they outplayed North Carolina in the season opener but missed two field goals and lost a fumble inside their 25-yard line – and should get past the Wolf Pack, although I like Nevada to cover the line. Season record: 2-1 (straight up); 2-1 (against the spread)

Go Gophers!!

Chris chimes in:

Prediction

Minnesota 27, Nevada 17: This game’s betting line has gone from Nevada getting 11 points to 17, so the bettors clearly like the Gophers, and it’s easy to see why. But Nevada has generally played well against the Big Ten over the years, and this Wolf Pack team seems capable of matching the physical play the Gophers want to establish. It helps that Minnesota’s run game has been in shambles in the first two weeks. But the Gophers should be 2-0 – they outplayed North Carolina in the season opener but missed two field goals and lost a fumble inside their 25-yard line – and should get past the Wolf Pack, although I like Nevada to cover the line. Season record: 2-1 (straight up); 2-1 (against the spread)

Go Gophers!!
I think it's funny they base it on Nevada has played well against the Big Ten in the past.

Top Bottom