Minnesota Vs. Nevada 2024 Media Predictions

IceBoxGopher

Reaction score
Predictions for Game No. 3, let's go.

The Daily Gopher has Minnesota coming out on top, 24-13
All three of Nevada’s games have been decided by three points or less, but Minnesota will be the most talented team they’ve faced. The Gophers will need to be disciplined on defense, but all eyes will be on an offensive line that struggled to stifle an FCS defensive front a week ago. This will probably be closer than fans would like, but Minnesota should prevail to close out their non-conference slate with a win.

Pick Dawgz is taking Minnesota in the match up
This might be a real sweater but Minnesota is going to come out with a victory here. The Minnesota defense is elite and they are going to lockdwon here. The Nevada offense isn’t good and they are going to really struggle to get any sort of offense going here and that is going to be the difference. Minnesota is going to get another big game from Bosmer and they will score at least 30 points here. Nevada won’t get over 10 points, and this game is going to be a comfortable victory. Back Minnesota against the spread.

Dimers predicts Minnesota will win the game 31-14
Based on updated simulations, Dimers' advanced college football model (see Dimers Pro for full access) predicts Minnesota as the most likely winner of the game.. Our independent predictive model currently gives Minnesota an 89% chance of beating Nevada.

Bang the Book has Minnesota getting the victory, 25-14
Even though we like the Minnesota Golden Gophers to win, our ATS pick is to take the Nevada Wolf Pack at +16.5. We see this game finishing below the line of 43.5 points

Nevada Sports Net has Minnesota earning a 27-17 win
Offensively, Minnesota has to figure out their run game very soon. Their offensive line is too experienced and talented to continue to have the amount of missed assignments it's having, plus a duo of Taylor and Major is certainly Big Ten quality. You'd like to see the offense find something there in this game, but Nevada hasn't been poor against opposing running backs.

Defensively, it's about not letting Brendon Lewis beat you, and that's both with his arm and legs. Minnesota actually went against Lewis back in 2021 when he was at Colorado, and it's a game Lewis probably doesn't remember fondly (he went 8-of-16 for 55 yards with seven rushes for minus-27 yards). He's a much improved player since then, but if the Gophers are continually losing contain on the Wolf Pack quarterback, it's going to be a long day with his ability to extend plays.

I have a ton of respect for what Jeff Choate and his staff have done in turning around one of the worst programs in the Mountain West. Nevada looks like a very improved football team from a year ago, and it could certainly be 3-0 right now. I think Minnesota's bodies up front on both sides of the ball are eventually the difference, though.

Picks and Parlays has Minnesota winning the game 36-18
With Minnesota being very competitive in an extremely tight Big Ten, they are clearly the stronger team in this matchup. Nevada’s defense will need to be near perfect to give the Wolf Pack a chance in this one. Expect Minnesota to cover the 14.5 spread en route to the win.

Sports Book Wire (USA Today) is predicting a 27-15 win for Minnesota

College Football Network has predicted a 26-13 win for Minnesota

Gophers -16.5 with a o/u of 43.5.

so Vegas is thinking a final score in the neighborhood of 30-13 Gophers.

Ogee - as our resident gambler, what say you?

looking at their depth chart they do have a lot starters on both sides of the ball that transferred from from power 4 conference schools including MN native Kaden Johnson from UW. Their new coach came from Texas and brought players with him. Still think Gophers win this one no problem but O line will need to bring it

Those picks and scores are embarrassing. Maybe we shouldn't be in a Power Five Conference. Seriously, we should be blowing teams like this out if we are a Power Five school.

Those picks and scores are embarrassing. Maybe we shouldn't be in a Power Five Conference. Seriously, we should be blowing teams like this out if we are a Power Five school.

You realize the predictions don’t mean it’s true…right? Like I could predict 200-0. Doesn’t mean anything. You’re upset the gophers aren’t predicted to win by more by people who have possibly not seen either team play.

I mean, Penn State had a close game against Bowling Green, last year Auburn lost to New Mexico State, Notre Dame just lost to Northern Illinois at home. It happens. Plus a lot of these predictions have the Gophers winning fairly convincingly.

Are you serious or is this a bit? Guess I could check your post history, but you’re aware that Notre Dame just lost at home to NIU? And Bowling Green was leading Penn St in Happy Valley deep into the 2nd half? And Wisconsin was either trailing or leading by less than one score late into the 4th against both Western Michigan and South Dakota? The list goes on and on. I wouldn’t be surprised if MN won by 30+, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if it’s tight into the 4th and they win by 14 - 17.

My PSU buddy in New Ulm who could blog about D1 football and who has never been a RtB fan, meaning a fan of the ship's captain, says the Gophers will cover.

P.S. My buddy is very critical of his Nittany Lions... I usually believe more in them most Saturdays than he does.

True story: In my gazillion posts here, dating back to the summer of 2009, I have only guaranteed victory twice. It really isn't in my nature to do so as I have just lived too long, seen too many freaky things, and dislike eating crow so much I nearly always avoid making predictions. It is why I almost never post in the "predict the score" threads.

Oh, and those two times I guaranteed victory? In both instances I was annoyed at someone suggesting the "anything can happen" viewpoint and saying basically being overconfident on a fan message board could somehow translate to the team not being ready on Saturday. So, in a somewhat sarcastic tone, I guaranteed victory as a response, twice: First, in Kill's first year against lowly New Mexico State. The second time: The Bowling Green game a couple years ago when the Gophers were 30+ point favorites.

You can look it up.

I'll be profoundly irritated if the Gophers don't win this one, and it will even be disappointing if the game is close. But, I'm not going to be upset at a close game prediction from anyone.

My PSU buddy in New Ulm who could blog about D1 football and who has never been a RtB fan, meaning a fan of the ship's captain, says the Gophers will cover.
This is exactly the type of inside information I have been looking for! Time to empty out the kids' college fund. ;)

Oregon 24 - Idaho 14
Michigan 30 - Fresno State 10
UCLA 16 - Hawaii 13
Northwestern 13 - Miami OH 6
Wisconsin 28 - Western Michigan 14
Michigan State 16 - FAU 10
Wisconsin 27 - South Dakota 13
Penn State 34 - Bowling Green 27

And those are just from the past 2 weeks and only from the Big Ten.

We should win and we should win comfortably but the only way these predictions would be embarrassing is if they were picking us to lose to Nevada.

Stat Salt has Minnesota winning the game in the end
This game is going to be interesting as the Nevada Wolf Pack have had all three of their games being one-possession games. However, the Golden Gophers were able to really get a dominant game last week and are going to be the better team overall.

Minnesota is a dominant defensive team and should be able to take down a struggling Nevada offense... The Wolf Pack are going to struggle to score many points while the Golden Gophers are a better team and should score 30+ points easily

Stat Salt has Minnesota winning the game in the end
This game is going to be interesting as the Nevada Wolf Pack have had all three of their games being one-possession games. However, the Golden Gophers were able to really get a dominant game last week and are going to be the better team overall.

Minnesota is a dominant defensive team and should be able to take down a struggling Nevada offense... The Wolf Pack are going to struggle to score many points while the Golden Gophers are a better team and should score 30+ points easily
Thanks for the post. It always concerns me as a Minnesota Fan when I hear about "scoring easily" or "dominant". Flashbacks to previous easy games gives me the jitters.

It is rare that we go in to a game and dominate across the board. We seem to always open the door in one way or another keeping the cupcake in the game.

#MinnesotaFandom

Thanks for the post. It always concerns me as a Minnesota Fan when I hear about "scoring easily" or "dominant". Flashbacks to previous easy games gives me the jitters.

It is rare that we go in to a game and dominate across the board. We seem to always open the door in one way or another keeping the cupcake in the game.

#MinnesotaFandom
It kinda depends, there's a fair mix of both over the last decade-plus.

Close (within 10 points)
  • 2012, G5, UNLV, 30-27 OTx3
  • 2012, G5, Western Michigan, 28-23
  • 2014, G5, Middle Tennessee, 35-24*
  • 2015, G5, Colorado St, 23-20 OT
  • 2015, G5, Kent St, 10-7
  • 2015, G5, Ohio, 27-24
  • 2016, G5, Colorado St, 31-24
  • 2017, G5, Buffalo, 17-7
  • 2018, G5, Fresno St, 26-3
  • 2019, FCS, South Dakota St, 28-21
  • 2019, G5, Fresno St, 38-35 OTx2
  • 2019, G5, Georgia Southern, 35-32
  • 2021, G5, Miami OH, 31-26
Not Close
  • 2012, FCS, New Hampshire, 44-7
  • 2013, G5, UNLV, 51-23
  • 2013, G5, New Mexico St, 44-21
  • 2013, FCS, Western Illinois, 29-12
  • 2013, G5, San Jose St, 43-24
  • 2014, G5, Eastern Michigan, 42-20
  • 2014, G5, San Jose St, 24-7
  • 2016, FCS, Indiana St, 58-28
  • 2017, G5, Middle Tennessee, 34-3
  • 2018, G5, New Mexico St, 48-10
  • 2018, G5, Miami OH, 26-3
  • 2022, G5, New Mexico St, 38-0
  • 2022, FCS, Western Illinois, 62-10
  • 2023, G5, Eastern Michigan, 25-6
  • 2024, FCS, Rhode Island, 48-0
*Middle Tennessee in 2014 was by 11 but still felt fairly close compared to others.

Athlon Sports writers are out with more predictions
Josh Skluzacek has Minnesota winning 31-17
If the Gophers grab control early, they shouldn’t have any problem but Nevada’s offense could make things interesting if given the chance. With how Minnesota’s defense has played overall thus far, I think the Maroon and Gold will be able to send the Wolf Pack home howling in agony.

Tommy Wiita is picking Minnesota, 28-24
The Wolf Pack keep it close late but ultimately lose their fourth consecutive one-score game this season at Huntington Bank Stadium. The Gophers are able to capitalize through the air and dominate the clock just enough to start the season 2-1 heading into a primetime matchup with Iowa next weekend.

Gophers Nation (Rivals) has Minnesota winning 31-17
This Nevada team is certainly better than expected heading into this season, that being said, the Wolfpack are still very much a work in progress, especially defensively.

On the home side, the Gophers gained a lot of positive momentum and confidence with their week two win over Rhode Island and will look to carry that over into this week's matchup against the Wolfpack.

Ultimately, while the Wolfpack offense may find some success throughout the game, it seems unlikely that they'll be able to consistently slow down the Gophers offense.

The Minnesota passing attack last weekend against Rhode Island certainly found its footing with the Gophers throwing for over 300 yards and now will face a Wolfpack secondary that is allowing over 250 passing yards per game. Of course, we can't forget about Darius Taylor either who now in his second game back from injury, could be poised for a big game on Saturday.

Gopher Illustrated (247 Sports) is picking Minnesota, 27-16
One final note about these two teams that could play a significant role in Saturday's outcome: Minnesota has historically been one of the country's most disciplined teams with penalties. Yet as we sit here today, no team in college football has earned more penalties than Nevada, as they have 29 already to go with 260 penalty yards. They rank 124th in penalties per game (9.67) and 122nd in penalty yards per game (86.67).

If the Wolfpack are going to continue to gift free first downs, that'll be a big factor here as well.

I have a lot of respect for first-year Nevada coach Jeff Choate. This was a dreadful Mountain West program the last few years, and he's made them into a respectable one just a few games in. In all reality, they should be 3-0 right now.

I'm expecting this one to be closer than Gopher fans think. Both teams play slow, and there won't be a ton of possessions because of it. So when either team gets in the red zone, who scores touchdowns and kicks field goals will be a determining factor.

It's a one-touchdown lead into the fourth quarter when Brosmer finds Jameson Geers to put them up 11, and then Lewis throws his first pick of the season as the Gophers get to the Iowa game, 2-1.

Most of these predictions are very similar when it comes to the opponent's score: somewhere in the teens. The larger variation comes with the predicted Gophers' score: Will they score over 30 or not?

That makes sense because even the power conference opponent didn't cross over the 20 point mark whereas the offensive production varied widely between the first two games.

It kinda depends, there's a fair mix of both over the last decade-plus.

Close (within 10 points)
  • 2012, G5, UNLV, 30-27 OTx3
  • 2012, G5, Western Michigan, 28-23
  • 2014, G5, Middle Tennessee, 35-24*
  • 2015, G5, Colorado St, 23-20 OT
  • 2015, G5, Kent St, 10-7
  • 2015, G5, Ohio, 27-24
  • 2016, G5, Colorado St, 31-24
  • 2017, G5, Buffalo, 17-7
  • 2018, G5, Fresno St, 26-3
  • 2019, FCS, South Dakota St, 28-21
  • 2019, G5, Fresno St, 38-35 OTx2
  • 2019, G5, Georgia Southern, 35-32
  • 2021, G5, Miami OH, 31-26
Not Close
  • 2012, FCS, New Hampshire, 44-7
  • 2013, G5, UNLV, 51-23
  • 2013, G5, New Mexico St, 44-21
  • 2013, FCS, Western Illinois, 29-12
  • 2013, G5, San Jose St, 43-24
  • 2014, G5, Eastern Michigan, 42-20
  • 2014, G5, San Jose St, 24-7
  • 2016, FCS, Indiana St, 58-28
  • 2017, G5, Middle Tennessee, 34-3
  • 2018, G5, New Mexico St, 48-10
  • 2018, G5, Miami OH, 26-3
  • 2022, G5, New Mexico St, 38-0
  • 2022, FCS, Western Illinois, 62-10
  • 2023, G5, Eastern Michigan, 25-6
  • 2024, FCS, Rhode Island, 48-0
*Middle Tennessee in 2014 was by 11 but still felt fairly close compared to others.
MTSU - maybe it was the humidity?

MTSU - maybe it was the humidity?
Looks like it was a situation where MTSU scored a lot in the second half. Gophers led 28-0 at halftime, then the Blue Raiders scored 24 in the second half but Minnesota added another touchdown as well to seal it.

The Star Tribune has Minnesota edging Nevada 31-26
Facing a team from the Mountain West hasn’t been a day at the beach for the Gophers, and Nevada has some of the ingredients to spring an upset, such as a dynamic quarterback and a steady-at-the-helm coach.

The Gophers can counter that if they avoid being one-dimensional on offense and make sure Brosmer has the protection and running game success to keep Nevada off balance. My expectation: The Gophers are 17-point favorites against the Wolf Pack, and that seems like too big of a number. Minnesota wins, but Nevada makes the Gophers work for it.

Top Bottom