Minnesota Vs. Michigan State 2023 - Media Predictions

IceBoxGopher

Reaction score
Sparty up next, let's go.

Sports Keeda has the Gophers getting the victory
Michigan State and Minnesota have two bad offenses, so this should be a very low-scoring game. The Spartans' offense will have trouble here, as Minnesota does have a decent enough defense that should be able to limit the run.

Also, the Golden Gophers are better at home as it is a tough place to play. Minnesota will get an early lead and cruise to a win as home favorites.

Prediction: Minnesota wins by more than a touchdown in a low-scoring game.

Sports Chat Place is predicting a Minnesota victory
I’ll stay with Minnesota here. So long as the Gophers don’t suffer the proverbial big-win hangover, that is. Minnesota was excellent on the defensive side versus Iowa over the weekend, giving up just 127 total yards (116 passing), three takeaways, nine first downs and 4-of-15 on third-down tries. The Gophers are just 2-3 in their last five games with a couple of blowouts mixed in there, but they’ve looked very good in the right matchups.

As for Michigan State, not much has gone right this year. The Spartans were dominated by Michigan in their last matchup and have now scored 16 points or fewer in four of the last five games. This will probably be a lower-scoring game as well, and I like the Gophers to keep it going with another good defensive showing.

Stat Insider is taking Minnesota, 23-18
Our leading predictive analytics model currently gives Minnesota a 68% chance of defeating the Michigan State at Huntington Bank Stadium.

The Pioneer Press is predicting a 28-17 Minnesota win
Minnesota Offense Vs. Michigan State Defense: The Spartans’ best defender, LB Jacoby Windmon, is out for the season, but LB Cal Haladay remains in middle and leads team with 48 tackles.

WR Daniel Jackson is coming off his second career 100-yard game vs. Iowa. He had two TDs against the Spartans last year. The Spartans secondary was bad over the last few years, but have been better at times this season. They still gave up at least three passing touchdowns in games against Maryland, Washington and Michigan. EDGE: MInnesota

Minnesota Defense Vs. Michigan State Offense: This season, they have turned to QB Katin Houser for the last two starts as Noah Kim, who might be hurt, has gone to the sideline. Houser has completed 58 percent of passes with two TDs and two INTs over six games. QB Sam Leavitt also has played.

Edge rushers Jalen Logan-Redding made Pro Football Focus’s college defense of the week, while Michigan State’s starting right tackle, Spencer Brown, will be suspended for the first half Saturday. He is being punished for a flagrant personal foul against Michigan. EDGE: Minnesota

Special teams: K Dragan Kesich made a career-high four field goals to carry the U to victory over Iowa. Kesich has made 87 percent of his 16 field goals this season. EDGE: Minnesota

Prediction: Coming off the euphoria of their first win in the Iowa rivalry in nine years, Minnesota will need to guard against a letdown. Trailing by a field goal early will help them fully snap out of it.

MLive has Minnesota edging Michigan State 16-10
Neither the Spartans nor the Gophers have well-oiled offenses. They rank 114th and 120th in team offense among 133 Division-I schools. But, Minnesota has an edge on the other side of the ball, where their pass defense is solid.

The Gophers have above-average speed, and are a well-coached team. Meanwhile, MSU looks to be going through the motions in a nightmare season.

Two of three writers at Spartans Wire (USA Today) have Minnesota winning
Cory Linsner: Minnesota wins 20-16: Minnesota is not a good football team, but MSU still has to prove it that they are going to be able to win a football game. Could up/down theory be in play? Minnesota comes off a huge win at Iowa, while MSU hit rock bottom getting blown out by Michigan. Still, I can’t pick MSU on the road here.

Andrew Brewster: Minnesota wins 17-10: It pains me to put Minnesota over MSU here, but Michigan State has yet to win a conference game and hasn’t earned much faith.

Robert Body has Michigan State winning 20-17: One of us three has to pick the Spartans here, right? It’s easy to count out the Spartans after last week’s embarrassing shutout loss vs. Michigan — but in that game it looked like Michigan State never quit fighting. So if this team hasn’t quit and can avoid critical mistakes, then I think they have it in them to beat Minnesota. The Spartans eventually will break through and I think this is the week they do.

College Football News has Minnesota winning 20-17
Just complete 40% of the throws, Gophers.

They couldn’t do that against Michigan or North Carolina, and the results were disastrous. They’re 4-1 when they can simply hit enough passes to occasionally move the chains, and the one loss came on the defensive collapse against Northwestern.

Michigan State will be a problem, even though Minnesota will hit a few good midrange shots.

It’ll be in the lead in the second half, and then the turnover monster will rise up and destroy yet another week. Minnesota will win really, really ugly, but two late fourth quarter field goals will pull it out.

The Daily Gopher (Minnesota SB Nation) has Minnesota victorious, 18-10
I think these two teams are more alike than they are different. Both have offenses that are stuck in the mud and solid defenses that can keep them in most games. They both also got boat-raced by Michigan.

But the Spartans are reeling since the firing of their head coach, having lost five straight, and the Gophers got a confidence boost with their hard-fought win over the Hawkeyes. So I’ll give the edge to Minnesota.

Hopefully they don't suffer a Iowa hangover.

Where is the over/under? Given the state of both offenses, cold snap weather and possible light precip, got to think this is another week to pound the under.

The Star Tribune has Minnesota winning 20-13
The Gophers will win if: They finish drives against a defense that won't be as stout as the one they faced in Iowa; they get enough from the passing game to take pressure off a banged-up running back group; they continue to improve on defense and pressure Houser; and they win the turnover battle.

The Spartans will win if: They score early to put some doubt in the Gophers' minds; they protect Houser to the point he can stretch the field; they get 100 yards from running back Nathan Carter, the Big Ten's third-leading rusher; they force the Gophers to kick field goals; and they grab a couple of takeaways.

PREDICTION: The last time the Gophers faced a program going through a scandal that forced the ouster of the head coach, things didn't work out too well. Northwestern rallied from a 21-point fourth-quarter deficit and stunned Minnesota 37-34 in overtime. Can the Spartans follow suit? Yes, if the Gophers play a poor game. That shouldn't happen, though, with a defense that's getting a good pass rush and has safety Tyler Nubin playing at a high level. If QB Athan Kaliakmanis can build off his second half at Iowa, a win should follow.

The Gophers get a solid defensive effort and a better offensive showing than they did in Iowa.

East Lansing Journal has Minnesota coming away with a 20-16 win
MSU can win this game. The problem is, after five straight defeats in a myriad of ways, the Spartans are going to have to prove they can win before I predict they win another game. In terms of being motivated and dialed in, I think they want this.

And I think what happened against Minnesota last season — a 34-7 home loss to the Gophers that was the low point of the Mel Tucker era until it wasn’t — is something they haven’t forgotten. We’ll learn a lot about the mettle of this group of MSU players, who, to this point, have hung in there pretty well from that standpoint.

Gopher Illustrated is predicting a 20-10 Minnesota win
I'll say that Minnesota can get it done at home, but unless the Gophers' offense finally gets explosive, don't expect many points.

The Detroit Free Press has Minnesota winning 17-10
Offense will be at a premium as the temperatures dip into the low 30s and snow begins to fall around kickoff. Expect both teams to the ball on the ground. But the lack of bodies in the front seven proves too much to overcome as the Gophers get a late touchdown from Taylor to send MSU to its sixth straight loss.

Top Bottom