Minnesota Vs. Iowa 2022 - Media Predictions

IceBoxGopher

Reaction score
Inside the Hawkeyes (FanNation) has Iowa winning 17-10
Iowa has split its games with fellow division leaders, Illinois and Purdue. Minnesota is 0-2 against those programs.

All of this is to say, Iowa is the better team. If this game were being played at Kinnick, I think the Hawkeyes win handily. That it's on the road gives me pause.

In the end, I'm riding with a Hawkeye defense that will feast on a one-dimensional offense like Minnesota's in honor of the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday.

College Football News has Minnesota edging Iowa 19-16
So just how much does the battle for the Floyd of Rosedale Trophy mean in the Big Ten chase?

Considering Illinois has to play Michigan this week – and hoping for an Illini loss – Iowa will take the Big Ten West if it wins this and closes with a victory over Nebraska.

Minnesota has to win this week, beat Wisconsin next week, and it needs Illinois and Purdue to both lose.
For now, just getting the bronzed pig back after losing the rivalry seven straight times will be enough.

The Daily Gopher (SB Nation) has Iowa winning 26-13
The Gophers are 0-3 this season when scoring fewer than 20 points. Only two opponents have scored more than 13 points against the Hawkeyes this season and those two teams were Michigan and Ohio State. The Wolverines were able to beat Iowa without an explosive passing game because they have Blake Corum operating behind one of the best offensive lines in the country. Minnesota does not have that same luxury up front. I just don’t see how the Gophers score enough points against this defense to win.

Iowa has split its games with fellow division leaders, Illinois and Purdue. Minnesota is 0-2 against those programs.

All of this is to say, Iowa is the better team.
Flawed logic, honestly. Iowa is better than Minnesota because they beat Purdue... but Mo was a late, unexpected DNP and it was this offenses second game without Chris-Autman Bell.

Iowa will not have the same fortune of avoiding playing against Mo.

The Gophers are 0-3 this season when scoring fewer than 20 points. Only two opponents have scored more than 13 points against the Hawkeyes this season and those two teams were Michigan and Ohio State. The Wolverines were able to beat Iowa without an explosive passing game because they have Blake Corum operating behind one of the best offensive lines in the country. Minnesota does not have that same luxury up front. I just don’t see how the Gophers score enough points against this defense to win.
Cowards. Disrespecting Rossi's defense against the most putrid offense in the country.

All of this is to say, Iowa is the better team. If this game were being played at Kinnick, I think the Hawkeyes win handily. That it's on the road gives me pause.

In the end, I'm riding with a Hawkeye defense that will feast on a one-dimensional offense like Minnesota's in honor of the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday.

College Football News has Minnesota edging Iowa 19-16
So just how much does the battle for the Floyd of Rosedale Trophy mean in the Big Ten chase?

Considering Illinois has to play Michigan this week – and hoping for an Illini loss – Iowa will take the Big Ten West if it wins this and closes with a victory over Nebraska.

Minnesota has to win this week, beat Wisconsin next week, and it needs Illinois and Purdue to both lose.
For now, just getting the bronzed pig back after losing the rivalry seven straight times will be enough.

Iowa's goal...keep Mo under 100 yds and make the Gophers beat them through the air.

Iowa's goal...keep Mo under 100 yds and make the Gophers beat them through the air.
Their goal and our challenge. But we don't have to beat them through the air. We can beat them on the ground by keeping the running lanes open. That means passing enough to keep the defense spread, like the second half at Lincoln.

Their goal and our challenge. But we don't have to beat them through the air. We can beat them on the ground by keeping the running lanes open. That means passing enough to keep the defense spread, like the second half at Lincoln.
Iowa is not Nebraska. Iowa's defense is ranked 4th Nebraska's 13th. By the way Mn's defense is ranked 3rd.

Interesting predictions so far.

I talked to the editor of the Iowa SBNation for my weekly six questions article.

His prediction will raise some eyebrows...

Iowa is not Nebraska. Iowa's defense is ranked 4th Nebraska's 13th. By the way Mn's defense is ranked 3rd.
Correct, and all the more reasons we need to not allow them to suffocate our run game.

The Star Tribune has Minnesota winning 17-10
The oddsmakers set the over/under for this game at 32½ points, so they expect both defenses to take control. The Gophers have the nation's fourth-ranked scoring defense at 13.1 points allowed per game, just ahead of Iowa's 13.9. Neither team has passed the ball effectively or often, so the running game must shoulder the burden.

That's where Ibrahim comes in. He's rushed for 465 yards and eight touchdowns over the past three games, and his 861 yards after contact lead the nation, according to Pro Football Focus College. Expect heavy doses of Ibrahim, who's cementing his status as one of the greatest backs in Gophers history.

My expectation: Ibrahim has a solid day, the Gophers get just enough from their passing attack, and Joe Rossi's defense steps up in a tight game.

The Pioneer Press has Minnesota winning 17-15
MIN Off vs. IOWA Def: The Gophers starting quarterback (Athan Kaliakmanis or Tanner Morgan) is unknown. Morgan missed the 31-3 win over Northwestern with an upper-body injury; Kaliakmanis missed on at least four throws and only completed 53 percent of his passes for 64 yards last weekend. Lukas Van Ness leads Hawkeyes with 40 pressures; he and Joe Evans are two edge players with six sacks apiece. Gophers offensive line is 13th in nation, allowing only one sack per game. … Ibrahim leads nation with 18 rushing touchdowns. … CB Cooper DeJean has four INTs, two returned for TDs. EDGE: Iowa

MIN Def vs. IOWA Off: The Hawkeyes offense is No. 128th in yards per play (4.1), including a season low 146 yards in a 24-10 win over Wisconsin. Iowa’s pass-blocking grade is the worst in the Big Ten, per Pro Football Focus. Minnesota had a season-high pressures and sacks against the second-worst outfit, Nebraska, showing this is an area ripe for the Gophers to exploit. QB Spencer Petras has five TDs and five INTs in 10 games and was sacked six times by the Badgers. Minnesota’s defense has 12 interceptions; both teams are plus-5 in turnover margin. EDGE: Min

Special teams: With few points expected, this facet could play a big role. Both kickers, Matthew Trickett and Drew Stevens, have been consistent, making at least 86 percent of field goals. EDGE: Iowa

Prediction: With a razor thin margin forecast, Fleck will be just aggressive enough and his offense able to convert a big conversion or two on third or fourth down. And they will be capable enough in the passing game to break their long losing skids in this rivalry game.

Athlon Sports has Minnesota winning 23-13
Experts are expecting quite a low-scoring contest between Iowa and Minnesota, and that seems to make perfect sense. With that being the case, which offense do you trust more to get a key score? It has to be Minnesota, even if the Gophers have to rely on a backup freshman quarterback.

Go with the home team here to win a tight one because Iowa's defense will refuse to allow this game to be too one-sided.

Gopher Illustrated (247 Sports) has Minnesota edging Iowa 14-13
If you have yet to hear, PJ Fleck hasn't beaten Iowa. He's 0-5. We also won't know who is starting at quarterback for Minnesota until the Gophers' take the field on Saturday. However, even if Tanner Morgan is cleared, I'd still go with Athan Kaliakmanis, as he'll be the X factor in a game like this. His mobility and ability to keep the play alive against an excellent Iowa defense will loom large.

I'll say that Iowa special teams doesn't block a kick or have a long return, and if that's the case. That means the Hawkeye offense will have to drive the length of the field, which they've struggled with all season. The Gopher defense ranks second in college football in getting off the field on third down, and I think they do it enough on Saturday.

On the flip side, the Gopher offense ranks #1 in college football on third down, converting 55.6% of their third downs. I think Minnesota moves the ball enough with Ibrahim, that allows Kirk Ciarrocca's offense to hit a couple deep shots, which will put the Gophers in the red zone, where the offense has been efficient at getting them six points, and not three.

I'll say a late Jah Joyner strip sack gets PJ Fleck his first win against Iowa.

Here are the staff predictions at The Daily Gopher (SB Nation)
GopherGuy05 is taking the Hawkeyes 16-14: I’m going full reverse jinx here. If Minnesota can avoid turnovers, I do think they have a shot. But if they can’t, it’s all over. I really hope they can figure out a way to win though, just for Blake’s mental health.

GopherNation has Minnesota winning 20-13: Iowa scores on their first drive and then does not find the end zone the rest of the day.

HipsterGopher has Minnesota winning 11-0:
In 1904, Minnesota beat Iowa 11-0 in Cedar Rapids. I think repeating this result would be very funny.

Mowe0018 is predicting a 13-12:
Minnesota win: In my personal opinion, which I admit isn’t generally accurate, this is the most important game of the P.J. Fleck era to date. I will choose to think optimistically because the alternative is a dark, dark, dark place.

UStreet has the Gophers winning 6-3: It’s going to be terrible again.

White Speed Receiver is taking Iowa, 4-2: Avoid this game if you can. I’ll watch it for you.

WildCatToo is picking Iowa, 14-10: It’s going to be awful, and we all know it.

ZipsOfAkron is going with Minnesota 17-7:
Iowa scores on a short field after an early Gophers turnover and people get uneasy. Athan composes himself, leans on Mo to do the heavy lifting, and it is a long, cold, victorious slog to the end.

PIck Dawgz is predicting a Minnesota victory
This is going to be the game where the Gophers finally get the Floyd of Rosedale back. Iowa has been winning games, but Spencer Petras still has struggled to move the ball, and the Gophers defense is going to lockdown. Ibrahim is going to have a big game here for Minnesota, and the Gophers will get the job done. Back Minnesota against the spread.

Winners and Whiners has Minnesota coming away with the victory
Minnesota will dominate in this one and being the home team will be the difference against the Hawkeyes. Iowa has struggled to move the ball against opponents of all shapes and sizes this season, and with Minnesota being one of the best defensive teams in the country, it seems unlikely that Iowa will be able to move the ball in this one.

Minnesota is likely to be able to move the ball on the ground with one of the best running games in the Big Ten and by controlling the game on both ends in the trenches, they'll come out with the win.

Bruce Feldman from theathletic.com picks the Gophers

Iowa at Minnesota (-2.5), 4 p.m., Fox​

This is a salty rivalry among the coaches. I was about to pick the Hawkeyes, but I’ll go with the team with the stronger running game — especially since the Gophers average almost 100 more rushing yards per game when they’re playing at home.

Minnesota 16, Iowa 12
Pick:
Minnesota -2.5

So, a strong rushing attack is very helpful in winter (cold, windy, inclement weather) in the B1G?

That's interesting. I'll try to remember that.

Bruce Feldman from theathletic.com picks the Gophers

Iowa at Minnesota (-2.5), 4 p.m., Fox​

This is a salty rivalry among the coaches. I was about to pick the Hawkeyes, but I’ll go with the team with the stronger running game — especially since the Gophers average almost 100 more rushing yards per game when they’re playing at home.

Minnesota 16, Iowa 12
Pick:
Minnesota -2.5
I’ve seen this line about the rivalry between Ferentz and PJ but is there any actual evidence of this? PJ has always been complimentary of Kirk (and really every coach) and I’ve never heard Ferentz say anything one way or another. Seems like people are just assuming this.

Punting is not the enemy in this game...I would be fine with a 3-0 victory. Avoid mistakes and over reaching PJ and we can win this game.

I don't know about you all, but I really, really, really hope we beat Iowa.

Last edited:

I’ve seen this line about the rivalry between Ferentz and PJ but is there any actual evidence of this? PJ has always been complimentary of Kirk (and really every coach) and I’ve never heard Ferentz say anything one way or another. Seems like people are just assuming this.

The only piece of somewhat evidence seems to be Kirk burning three timeouts at the end of the game in 2020.

The match up that is getting little to no discussion.
Agreed. Seems like our D gives up big plays that doom us in this game (in the past).

I think the O will do enough to win. Will the D shut down all big plays? If they do, I think we win. If they don't, we won't.

Agreed. Seems like our D gives up big plays that doom us in this game (in the past).

I think the O will do enough to win. Will the D shut down all big plays? If they do, I think we win. If they don't, we won't.
I think we do. I hope like mad I am right.

Top Bottom