Minnesota Vs. Bowling Green 2021 - Media Predictions

Jerry Palm with CBS Sports has Minnesota winning.
It took a couple games for the Gophers to figure out how to replace the production of Mohamed Ibrahim. It is using a committee, led by Trey Potts, who ran for 125 yards and three touchdowns at Colorado last week. Bowling Green is not going to be able to do much with the Minnesota ground game. Pick: Minnesota (-31)

3 words. Kent State Protocol. The chef’s kiss is when the mn coach goes Jerry kill nuts in the post game. ‘Well, we won maybe you all wanna try coaching.’

Bleacher Report has Minnesota winning 56-14

Scores and Stats has the Gophers winning 41-10
The Golden Gophers produced one of their most dominant performances in school history in a 30-0 win last week over host Colorado. They outgained the Buffaloes 441-63 en route to posting their first shutout of a Power Five team on the road since a 21-0 win at Illinois on Nov. 12, 1977. Colorado had seven yards in the first half.

Trey Potts rushed for three touchdowns and finished with 121 yards on 26 carries and Mar'Keise Irving added 89 yards on 15 carries, with Ky Thomas rushing for 66 yards and a score on seven carries. Quarterback Tanner Morgan went 11-for-17 passing for 164 yards.

The emergence of Potts, who rushed for 178 yards and two touchdowns in a win over Miami of Ohio on Sept. 11, couldn't have come at a better time for the Gophers (2-1). Their starting running back, Mohamed Ibrahim, suffered a season-ending injury to his left leg in Minnesota's season-opening loss to then-No. 4 Ohio State on Sept. 2. Ibrahim shredded the Buckeyes for 163 yards and two touchdowns on 30 carries.

The Golden Gophers produced one of their most dominant performances in school history in a 30-0 win last week over host Colorado. They outgained the Buffaloes 441-63 en route to posting their first shutout of a Power Five team on the road since a 21-0 win at Illinois on Nov. 12, 1977. Colorado had seven yards in the first half.

Trey Potts rushed for three touchdowns and finished with 121 yards on 26 carries and Mar'Keise Irving added 89 yards on 15 carries, with Ky Thomas rushing for 66 yards and a score on seven carries. Quarterback Tanner Morgan went 11-for-17 passing for 164 yards.

The emergence of Potts, who rushed for 178 yards and two touchdowns in a win over Miami of Ohio on Sept. 11, couldn't have come at a better time for the Gophers (2-1). Their starting running back, Mohamed Ibrahim, suffered a season-ending injury to his left leg in Minnesota's season-opening loss to then-No. 4 Ohio State on Sept. 2. Ibrahim shredded the Buckeyes for 163 yards and two touchdowns on 30 carries.
Bleacher report is throwing out WAY too high of a number for the Gophers with Fleck/Tressel ball. Unless Bowling Green literally can't stop us, and tons of plays turn into 70+ yard games, they way we churn time off the clock limits how high scoring of a game we can have.

The core of Fleck/Tressel ball is to dominate TOP and limit the amount of scoring opportunities the opponent has, but that also limits how many scoring opportunities you have.

Now, I haven't seen what Bowling Green's defense looks like, but I can't imagine it's that bad.

Bleacher report is throwing out WAY too high of a number for the Gophers with Fleck/Tressel ball. Unless Bowling Green literally can't stop us, and tons of plays turn into 70+ yard games, they way we churn time off the clock limits how high scoring of a game we can have.

The core of Fleck/Tressel ball is to dominate TOP and limit the amount of scoring opportunities the opponent has, but that also limits how many scoring opportunities you have.

Now, I haven't seen what Bowling Green's defense looks like, but I can't imagine it's that bad.
That's true. I think over 50 is asking a lot. However, blowouts with 40+ points during Fleck's tenure aren't uncommon:
  • 2017 @ Oregon State, 48-14
  • 2017 Vs. Nebraska, 54-21
  • 2018 Vs. New Mexico State, 48-10
  • 2018 Vs. Purdue, 41-10
  • 2019 Vs. Illinois, 40-17
  • 2019 @ Rutgers, 42-7
  • 2019 Vs. Maryland, 52-10
  • 2020 Vs. Illinois, 41-14

would not be the least bit surprised to see this one end 31-7 or something like that unless BG turns it over a couple times in the first half. I wouldn't touch that spread

College Football News is predicting a 44-10 Minnesota victory
The Gophers didn’t generate a sack in the first two games, and then they turned things up several notches in the shocking 30-0 win over Colorado with four sacks, eight tackles for loss, and -19 rushing yards allowed.

Bowling Green has the nation’s second-worst running game. It’s not going to start working this week.

Minnesota has yet to lose a non-conference game under PJ Fleck, and it’s not going to start now.

Hustle Belt (MAC SB Nation) has the Gophers winning 41-6
Bowling Green is on the rise, and the Falcons might cause some upset scares in MAC play, but asking them to take down Minnesota feels too hefty of an ask at the moment. Through three games, this Falcons team looks like a noticeable upgrade over the last two years of the Scot Loeffler era, and they already accomplished one of their primary 2021 goals of snapping that daunting losing streak.

But Trey Potts should be ready for another 100-yard rushing game. Minnesota’s offensive line will possess a clear upper-edge in the trenches and the Golden Gophers’ relentless defense from last week should make a return. This one will be over by halftime, and P.J. Fleck rows the boat to his second MAC win of the year.

Bucky Irving looks like a gamebreaker. I wouldn't be surprised if he has two td runs over 40 yards.

Just don't think Fleck plays style to get enough possessions to cover. Unless we get a special teams TD or Defensive TD, we won't cover.

Am I the only one concerned that Colorado had 8x the yardage total in 2nd half? 2nd half struggles of defense continue

Just don't think Fleck plays style to get enough possessions to cover. Unless we get a special teams TD or Defensive TD, we won't cover.
I have exact same thought.

Game will be easily in hand, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's 35-7 and 2nd half we really just try to run the clock

What's the over/under on pass attempts? I'd set the line at 13. It won't quite be the Streveler 7 pass attempt game (1 completed if memory serves correctly), but it'll be low. Or even better, what's the over/under on pass attempts in the second half, assuming they have the lead? Maybe 3? IMO, the only way the Gophers score more than 31 total points is if BGSU has multiple turnovers in their own zone. PJ's just aiming to go 1-0 on the BGSU season, nothing more. I wouldn't touch the point spread with a 10-foot pole.

What's the over/under on pass attempts? I'd set the line at 13. It won't quite be the Streveler 7 pass attempt game (1 completed if memory serves correctly), but it'll be low. Or even better, what's the over/under on pass attempts in the second half, assuming they have the lead? Maybe 3? IMO, the only way the Gophers score more than 31 total points is if BGSU has multiple turnovers in their own zone. PJ's just aiming to go 1-0 on the BGSU season, nothing more. I wouldn't touch the point spread with a 10-foot pole.
wont happen, but I'd love to see some throws from Zack to Brady Boyd or other newcombers late in 2nd half

I like how you call it Fleck/Tressel ball. I have the same view but haven't really ever heard anyone else say it.

I like how you call it Fleck/Tressel ball. I have the same view but haven't really ever heard anyone else say it.
I started saying Fleck/Tressel ball because Tressel was the originator, but I think Fleck has made some tweaks to make it his own.

However, the core is the same and that's generally what limits scoring opportunities on both sides of the ball.

I started saying Fleck/Tressel ball because Tressel was the originator, but I think Fleck has made some tweaks to make it his own.

However, the core is the same and that's generally what limits scoring opportunities on both sides of the ball.
So, could we call it Treck ball, or Flessel ball, or Treckel ball? But not Pickle ball!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spartan Nation has the Gophers winning 34-7
Minnesota wins but Bowling Green covers the 31.5 point spread.

Here are the predictions from The Daily Gopher (SB Nation)
Blake Ruane, 34-6 Minnesota. One Colorado player said the team got “out-physicaled” in last week’s 30-0 loss to the Gophers and I expect the Minnesota Movers to also impose their will against the Falcons’ defensive front.

It’s tough to get an accurate read on this defense because they’ve improved each week but the quality of their opponents has dropped each week, going from Tennessee to South Alabama to FCS Murray State. What I do know for certain is that the Minnesota offense is more talented and experienced and is likely to give Trey Potts and Mar’Keise Irving plenty of running lanes to exploit.

Don’t expect the Gophers to open up the playbook on Saturday.

GoAUpher, 35-10 Minnesota. I was going to suggest that maybe Minnesota plays down again, but then I read Blake’s preview.

GopherGuy05, 38-13 Minnesota. The Gophers will try and play down to Bowling Green, but the Falcons are just not good. I expect a big day on offense.

GopherNation, 37-17 Minnesota. Minnesota makes 3 field goals.

HipsterGopher, 42-17 Minnesota. Remember in 2008 when Minnesota beat Bowling Green 42-17? Yeah me either. Thankfully the Gophers got the win in Bowling Green Ohio (love an away game against a MAC opponent), after losing to the Falcons the year before (thank you Tim Brewster).

Mowe0018, 31-10 Minnesota. Always got to underachieve when playing the MAC. PJ has too much fondness for his former conference. Gophers relatively roll.

White Speed Receiver, 35-10 Minnesota. It’s going to be boring, and it’s going to be ugly.

WildCatToo, 35-12 Minnesota. Gophers might come back to earth in the first quarter, but I don’t think Bowling Green can keep up for 4 quarters.

ZipsOfAkron, 42-14 Minnesota. I think the Gophers will run for something like 280 yards. It’s going to be fun to crack a couple beers and watch.

Psychologically speaking, they got over their “MAC surprise” with Miami, ironed out some kinks against Colorado and are now ready for the final tune up. They will roll early and often.

It did? I'm sure that's news to the staff
Yeah, apparently they missed Potts going getting 178 yards and 2 TD in the game immediately following the injury. Seems like the coaches figured out how to replace the production pretty quick.

2 wins in a row and we are back to the old chestnut of ‘I hope we get a huge lead so we may play backups.’ 4 years of leidner and Jerry Kill and I think we never ever saw it.

2 wins in a row and we are back to the old chestnut of ‘I hope we get a huge lead so we may play backups.’ 4 years of leidner and Jerry Kill and I think we never ever saw it.
It's been a bit rare when it comes to quarterback during the last decade, but it has happened. Here are the Gophers' blowout games since 2012
  • 2012 Vs. New Hampshire (FCS) won 44-7. Max Shortell was sent in during the game as QB.
  • 2013 Vs. UNLV, won 51-23.
  • 2013 @ New Mexico State, won 44-21.
  • 2013 Vs. Western Illinois (FCS), won 29-12.
  • 2013 Vs. San Jose State, won 43-24.
  • 2014 Vs. Eastern Illinois (FCS), won 42-20. Chris Streveler came in during the game at QB.
  • 2014 Vs. Iowa, won 51-14. Conor Rhoda was in the game at one point.
  • 2016 Vs. Indiana State (FCS), won 58-28. Conor Rhoda was in the game after Leidner was done.
  • 2017 @ Oregon State, won 48-14. Demry Croft was sent in late in the game and ran it in for a TD in his only snap.
  • 2017 Vs. Middle Tennessee, won 34-3.
  • 2018 Vs. New Mexico State, won 48-10. Tanner Morgan was sent in to take over for Annexstad.
  • 2018 Vs. Miami OH, won 26-3.
  • 2018 Vs. Purdue, won 41-10.
  • 2018 Vs. Georgia Tech, won 34-10.
  • 2019 Vs. Illinois, won 40-17.
  • 2019 Vs. Nebraska, won 34-7.
  • 2019 @ Rutgers, won 42-7.
  • 2019 Vs. Maryland, won 52-10. Jacob Clark was sent in during the game to take over for Morgan.
  • 2021 @ Colorado, won 30-0. Annexstad made an appearance late in the game.
I know the quarterback position didn't see a lot of backups going in. But when looking at the stats from these games, there were other players getting a chance, and the running back depth was really well used. Rodrick Williams Jr., David Cobb, Donnell Kirkwood, Shannon Brooks, Rodney Smith, Mohamed Ibrahim and Kobe McCrary were all alternated in those blowout games regularly

That's true. I think over 50 is asking a lot. However, blowouts with 40+ points during Fleck's tenure aren't uncommon:
  • 2017 @ Oregon State, 48-14
  • 2017 Vs. Nebraska, 54-21
  • 2018 Vs. New Mexico State, 48-10
  • 2018 Vs. Purdue, 41-10
  • 2019 Vs. Illinois, 40-17
  • 2019 @ Rutgers, 42-7
  • 2019 Vs. Maryland, 52-10
  • 2020 Vs. Illinois, 41-14

Thanks for listing those. More than I remembered. At this point, I'm sort of looking at 2017 and 2018 like ancient history. Fleck & Co seemed to have settled into a certain style. If you look at the four listed for 2019/2020, two of those didn't meet the spread we have in the upcoming game. I remember watching the Maryland game and thinking that was the first game in awhile that Fleck actually appeared willing to run up the score (recall that we got a late 39 yard touchdown pass from the backup QB to Harry Van Dyne (now at Indiana State) in that game). The Rutgers score I'll just chalk up to general Rutgers badness (2-10) that year.

wont happen, but I'd love to see some throws from Zack to Brady Boyd or other newcombers late in 2nd half
It was nice to see both Annexstads lined up on offense in Boulder...

The Star Tribune has Minnesota winning 41-7
The Gophers will win if: They run the ball with their usual efficiency, they put some pressure on McDonald and knock his completion percentage down a few pegs, and avoid turnovers and/or special teams gaffes that give underdogs hope.
The Falcons will win if: Minnesota doesn't come out focused, they block their third punt of the season and score on it and they force a couple more turnovers. Otherwise ,the Falcons are in for a long afternoon.

Top Bottom