Minnesota underclassman: Doesn’t matter who coach is we don’t want to play for admin

I agree. These kids are just that, kids. Its obvious they cannot see the Forest for the Trees. Nor do they realize they had a big part in how this all went down.

We have incredible facilities opening, money to spend (we will spend it) and Coyle feels the time is right. His neck is now on the line and he knows it, which makes it even more likely that the new head coach is already in the bag.

At the end of the day, a new coach will be hired and we will have players here that WANT to be here and play for the new coach. It may upset us now, but at the end of the day, I am a Gopher fan and will support the new coach, and the players that are here. These kids need to realize they don't run the roost. It stings and I can understand they are hurt, as they are a family. It sucks, I get it. But cooler heads will prevail and life will move on.. with a new coach and new facilities and it will not take 10 years to recover as some drama queens may state.

A much needed voice of reason. Well stated, Rouser. It always seems darkest right after the storm. This, too, shall pass, and the Gophers won't be barking at the moon for 10 years, as the lunatic fringe are suggesting.

If they haven't redshirted, they can transfer, sit out a year and not miss a year of eligibility. Someone like Shannon Brooks, for example, could probably transfer to a pretty good program if he wanted, sit out a year, and still have two years of eligibility.

But who wants to sit out a year when he wouldn't be sitting out a year if he stayed? A year is a long time.

You will find that over 90% of the players who have eligibility left will be back. The new coach will get most of the guys to stay.

The speed in which we have a new coach will be the telling sign. We'll lose about 3-5 kids every week we don't have a coach.

I agree. These kids are just that, kids. Its obvious they cannot see the Forest for the Trees. Nor do they realize they had a big part in how this all went down. I guarantee that a boycott wouldn't have happened at a power football school, the coach would have more control. That's why we're at this point. The coach didn't have complete control of his own program. Being a head coach is more than coaching up a defense for cripes sake.

I cannot tell you how many times fellow season ticket holders (which I am one) would text me during games about how sad the attendance was. There was apathy before this mess and once the boycott happened, the nail was in the coffin. Whether folks want to admit it or not, it was time for a change. I think Claeys is a good coach, but not the coach that will take us anywhere we want to go. We have incredible facilities opening, money to spend (we will spend it) and Coyle feels the time is right. His neck is now on the line and he knows it, which makes it even more likely that the new head coach is already in the bag or at least close to it..

At the end of the day, a new coach will be hired and we will have players here that WANT to be here and play for the new coach. It may upset us now, but at the end of the day, I am a Gopher fan and will support the new coach, and the players that are here. These kids need to realize they don't run the roost. It stings and I can understand they are hurt, as they are a family. It sucks, I get it. But cooler heads will prevail and life will move on.. with a new coach and new facilities and it will not take 10 years to recover as some drama queens may state.

What you are missing is the effect on recruiting. The U will never have a problem getting a kid whose best offer is from the U. Kids with options? Different story. As a parent I would not want my kid attending a school were the administration does not have their best interest in mind. The U played politics and the players paid the bill.

Note to the AD: don't even THINK of hiring Chip Kelly.

Note to President Keller: fire your AD immediately if he even says Chip Kelly's name.

Do I even need to say why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what it is about Chip Kelly that bothers you but you can't seriously believe he would take a call from Minnesota can you?

The problem is time. We are going to lose about 40 kids from the current roster between graduation, transfer, expulsion, moving on, etc. Could be as many as 50 but not more than that no matter what. Mostly because most of the kids on our roster didn't have 10 P5 offers to begin with, so they would need to drop a level or two to get a scholarship and that isn't so great if you want to compete on the big stage.

But we have a class of only 15 incoming kids and that is going to start to diminish until we get a new coach. Then the new coach needs to bring in replacements for any of the 15 that decommit plus bring in another 15 kids to fill out the class. Signing day is in 4 weeks.

Even if a deal was in place and announced by next Tuesday, that only leaves 3 weeks for a coach to sell 15 - 20 kids on coming to a school that he has probably only seen on TV (if that).

Plus the new Coach needs to hire a full slate of Asst Coaches...all of whom are under contract now at other schools and probably wont be able to leave before signing day (don't burn bridges kinda thing).

So basically the best case scenario is we lose 2 full recruiting classes over this...last years which is decimated by the 10 and other departures and this years which will suck giant donkey d*ck no matter who we hire because of the timing.

Coyle didn't want Claeys...OK, I get it. Don't agree but whatever...I don't make that decision. But just like Mason (which got us Brewster) timing matters.

A much needed voice of reason. Well stated, Rouser. It always seems darkest right after the storm. This, too, shall pass, and the Gophers won't be barking at the moon for 10 years, as the lunatic fringe are suggesting.

I understand, SS, but the problem is that a storm always blows up just when you think things might be getting sunny for the Gophers. Heck, I'm already wondering how the season will go off the tracks for the basketball team--and I'm only half kidding.

I don't think it's a lack of perspective. They are used to change. Many of these players committed to Jerry Kill and dealt with his health issues and the change that resulted in his health issues about as well as could possibly be expected.

They were upset with how it was done. This is different from other coaches being fired for other reasons. You may not agree with it and that's fine, but it is pretty clear they are upset about the way this has played out. To them, it isn't fair. They aren't being brats or whining that they didn't get their way, they see it as a grave injustice. You may not see it that way, but they do. Standing up and speaking out against a grave injustice does not lack perspective.

Exactly
Tracy knew his job was at risk, and he did what he felt was right.

These are kids and kids are usually more inspired by emotion than wisdom. To expect otherwise would be foolish. The majority of these players don't have family here. Their mentors have just lost their jobs. Who do they have to turn to for advice?

Obviously they are all hurting right now, but who I think we could see leaving aside from the obvious 10 are guys that haven't redshirted or were unhappy at the U before this all transpired...Brooks, Still, Moore, Devers, Moore, Durr, Gentry, Holland and Register. Add in possible grad transfers like Elmore and we're at 20. I think we lost around 17 due to graduation so we could lose up to 37 scholarship players from this year's squad. I'm assuming the MN kids stay but I could certainly be wrong. A large number of our small recruiting class will likely look elsewhere. If the search takes 2 weeks (fast by U standards) the new coach has 16 days to put a staff together and try to assemble a recruiting class.

2017 could be very ugly. Potentially Brewster's first year ugly...

These are kids and kids are usually more inspired by emotion than wisdom. To expect otherwise would be foolish. The majority of these players don't have family here. Their mentors have just lost their jobs. Who do they have to turn to for advice?

Obviously they are all hurting right now, but who I think we could see leaving aside from the obvious 10 are guys that haven't redshirted or were unhappy at the U before this all transpired...Brooks, Still, Moore, Devers, Moore, Durr, Gentry, Holland and Register. Add in possible grad transfers like Elmore and we're at 20. I think we lost around 17 due to graduation so we could lose up to 37 scholarship players from this year's squad. I'm assuming the MN kids stay but I could certainly be wrong. A large number of our small recruiting class will likely look elsewhere. If the search takes 2 weeks (fast by U standards) the new coach has 16 days to put a staff together and try to assemble a recruiting class.

2017 could be very ugly. Potentially Brewster's first year ugly...

I think Cashman might go too.

In the Big 10, does a walk on have to sit out a year if they transfer? I know it was talked about in the Big 12 with the Baker Mayfield situation.

Most kids understandably feel this way.

Job 1 of the new coach will be to work with these guys.

Sadly our AD doesn't seem to feel he needs to do that or ... at least tell us that he is doing anything.

Sorry, but the AD was not one of the guys out with a recruit til 3am and trying to wreck the programs. He was left to pick up the pieces. Surely you could have done a much better job.

Sorry, but the AD was not one of the guys out with a recruit til 3am and trying to wreck the programs. He was left to pick up the pieces. Surely you could have done a much better job.

Doesn't matter, he is the AD, he is in charge even when others **** up.

I don't know if there aren't many people who could have done a worse job.

Top Bottom