Minnesota underclassman: Doesn’t matter who coach is we don’t want to play for admin

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

You guys better pump the brakes. I'm sure some catchy slogans and fake diamonds will change your mind.

"By...Mennen!"

Ugh- entitlement generation. Let the dust settle first. They all need to get off social media for a few days

Ugh- entitlement generation. Let the dust settle first. They all need to get off social media for a few days

Or they feel the one guy who had their back got axed fur exactly that, having their back.

I'm guessing this goes very similarly to the boycott.

As an expert on transferring schools on the D1 level.....99% of the players aren't going anywhere (not counting the 10). They will soon fine that the deck is completely stacked against them. Even if the NCAA did the correct thing and allowed the players immediate eligibility if they transferred, the players would still need to find a school with a scholarship available.

Getting a scholarship coming out of high school can be easier than receiving one on a transfer for players who have yet to play meaningful minutes for the school they are transferring from.

And this is all based on the assumption that the U releases them from their scholarship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most kids understandably feel this way.

Job 1 of the new coach will be to work with these guys.

Sadly our AD doesn't seem to feel he needs to do that or ... at least tell us that he is doing anything.

I'm guessing this goes very similarly to the boycott.

I agree. These kids are just that, kids. Its obvious they cannot see the Forest for the Trees. Nor do they realize they had a big part in how this all went down. I guarantee that a boycott wouldn't have happened at a power football school, the coach would have more control. That's why we're at this point. The coach didn't have complete control of his own program. Being a head coach is more than coaching up a defense for cripes sake.

I cannot tell you how many times fellow season ticket holders (which I am one) would text me during games about how sad the attendance was. There was apathy before this mess and once the boycott happened, the nail was in the coffin. Whether folks want to admit it or not, it was time for a change. I think Claeys is a good coach, but not the coach that will take us anywhere we want to go. We have incredible facilities opening, money to spend (we will spend it) and Coyle feels the time is right. His neck is now on the line and he knows it, which makes it even more likely that the new head coach is already in the bag or at least close to it..

At the end of the day, a new coach will be hired and we will have players here that WANT to be here and play for the new coach. It may upset us now, but at the end of the day, I am a Gopher fan and will support the new coach, and the players that are here. These kids need to realize they don't run the roost. It stings and I can understand they are hurt, as they are a family. It sucks, I get it. But cooler heads will prevail and life will move on.. with a new coach and new facilities and it will not take 10 years to recover as some drama queens may state.

You will find that over 90% of the players who have eligibility left will be back. The new coach will get most of the guys to stay.

My bet is other than the 10 in the report, less than 5 on scholarship actually transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. These kids are just that, kids. Its obvious they cannot see the Forest for the Trees. Nor do they realize they had a big part in how this all went down. I guarantee that a boycott wouldn't have happened at a power football school, the coach would have more control. That's why we're at this point. The coach didn't have complete control of his own program. Being a head coach is more than coaching up a defense for cripes sake.

I cannot tell you how many times fellow season ticket holders (which I am one) would text me during games about how sad the attendance was. There was apathy before this mess and once the boycott happened, the nail was in the coffin. Whether folks want to admit it or not, it was time for a change. I think Claeys is a good coach, but not the coach that will take us anywhere we want to go. We have incredible facilities opening, money to spend (we will spend it) and Coyle feels the time is right. His neck is now on the line and he knows it, which makes it even more likely that the new head coach is already in the bag or at least close to it..

At the end of the day, a new coach will be hired and we will have players here that WANT to be here and play for the new coach. It may upset us now, but at the end of the day, I am a Gopher fan and will support the new coach, and the players that are here. These kids need to realize they don't run the roost. It stings and I can understand they are hurt, as they are a family. It sucks, I get it. But cooler heads will prevail and life will move on.. with a new coach and new facilities and it will not take 10 years to recover as some drama queens may state.

This. So much this.

If any of them do see fit to leave, good riddance. They're obviously not the kind of young adult (not kids, mind you) that we want in our program.

You will find that over 90% of the players who have eligibility left will be back. The new coach will get most of the guys to stay.

Yep, a lot of guys are hurt and I am sure some will explore their options but as Sportsfan24 laid out many of those guys aren't going to have many options available to them. When it is all said and done I am sure there will be some transfers but it won't any sort of mass exodus.

Yep, a lot of guys are hurt and I am sure some will explore their options but as Sportsfan24 laid out many of those guys aren't going to have many options available to them. When it is all said and done I am sure there will be some transfers but it won't any sort of mass exodus.

Yeah, but we won't keep 90% We will lose about 10-15 players from this whole fiasco (IMO).

If any of them do see fit to leave, good riddance. They're obviously not the kind of young adult (not kids, mind you) that we want in our program.

At no point did I think the boycott was a good idea, but I think this is silly. People transfer all the time who aren't even athletes, not to mention athletes who have been what this team has been through. Are saying that they're not worthwhile people? Even if you assume that all 10 players are 100% guilty of everything of which they've been accused, it's hard to blame a player for transferring when his coach is fired.

They're not going anywhere. None of them have better options when you take into account the barriers to transferring. But whoever is hired will be lauded for holding the team together anyway because it sounds good on BTN.

For better or worse these kids are wired to respect their coaches. Short of Claeys giving them a reason to disrespect him, your seeing what you should see, respectful young men, respecting their coach. Probably couldn't find any of them that would have anything bad to say about their high school coach or their pee wee football coach either. After spending 3-4 days with the next coach they will be tweeting about how much they admire the new coach as well.

This is the dangerous time, leaving the team leaderless for any amount of time WILL increase the number of transfers to the teams detriment, IF we go past signing day without a head coach I'll start the petition to fire Coyle myself.

The one thing that I notice in all the rage from many of these student athletes is lack of perspective. I am not sure they are old enough to have any and it seems that many have not been taught to look for it. If any of these players make it to the next level, they better get used to change, because it happens about as often as it does here.

The one thing that I notice in all the rage from many of these student athletes is lack of perspective. I am not sure they are old enough to have any and it seems that many have not been taught to look for it. If any of these players make it to the next level, they better get used to change, because it happens about as often as it does here.

I don't think it's a lack of perspective. They are used to change. Many of these players committed to Jerry Kill and dealt with his health issues and the change that resulted in his health issues about as well as could possibly be expected.

They were upset with how it was done. This is different from other coaches being fired for other reasons. You may not agree with it and that's fine, but it is pretty clear they are upset about the way this has played out. To them, it isn't fair. They aren't being brats or whining that they didn't get their way, they see it as a grave injustice. You may not see it that way, but they do. Standing up and speaking out against a grave injustice does not lack perspective.

There's also the dynamic that, as I saw it, they players had to convince Claeys to stand behind them publicly. I read that he was reluctant to do so at first but then agreed...then lost his job for it. That's an additional element of connection and disappointment you don't ordinarily have when a coach is fired. But I just think that once a little bit of time passes transferring will look like a worse and worse option.

They're not going anywhere. None of them have better options when you take into account the barriers to transferring. But whoever is hired will be lauded for holding the team together anyway because it sounds good on BTN.

For the ones who would rather transfer and play at Northern Iowa or Central Michigan than play for the new coach, I would say we might just be alright without them.

They are acting like coaches getting fired isn't a regular occurrence.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Very well said! +100

They are acting like coaches getting fired isn't a regular occurrence.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

No they aren't.

They are acting like the firing of a coach, in this manner for these reasons isn't a regular occurrence. They are 100% right.

If they haven't redshirted, they can transfer, sit out a year and not miss a year of eligibility. Someone like Shannon Brooks, for example, could probably transfer to a pretty good program if he wanted, sit out a year, and still have two years of eligibility.

Top Bottom