Minnesota top prep scorer

FanSinceTheFifties

Reaction score
Anders Broman, with over 4100, leads Lakeview Christian Academy in a game scheduled for Friday, Jan 4 at 7:30 at West Lutheran High School 3350 Harbor Ln N, Plymouth.

OK, I'm going on a rant here.

I just don't like seeing state records broken by players from Charter schools and private schools. When Noreen was playing at MN Transitions, their schedule was very soft - played a few decent teams, and a lot of charter schools. Same for Broman earlier in his career - although they have improved the schedule this season.

IMHO, for purposes of state records, only games against MSHSL member schools should be counted.

I believe it's been reported that the HS league has had problems verifying the record because they couldn't track down results from earlier in Broman's career.

Players like Isaiah Dahlman and Cody Schilling are just more legitimate in my book than the recent "record holders."

I realize that a lot of people will not agree with me, but that's just the way I feel.

I believe stats from games against non-MSHSL teams currently do not count for state records. They still count for the program, but not for state records. I could be mistaken, but I think I've read that previously.

OK, I'm going on a rant here.

I just don't like seeing state records broken by players from Charter schools and private schools. When Noreen was playing at MN Transitions, their schedule was very soft - played a few decent teams, and a lot of charter schools. Same for Broman earlier in his career - although they have improved the schedule this season.

IMHO, for purposes of state records, only games against MSHSL member schools should be counted.

I believe it's been reported that the HS league has had problems verifying the record because they couldn't track down results from earlier in Broman's career.

Players like Isaiah Dahlman and Cody Schilling are just more legitimate in my book than the recent "record holders."

I realize that a lot of people will not agree with me, but that's just the way I feel.

I don't know how they total the points -- if non MSHSL schools are included. Here's a link to a page showing his scoring during his Freshman-Now games. http://tchoops.blogspot.com/2006/01/anders-broman-scoring-tracker.html Most of the schools I know and are MSHSL. Whether his record is comparable to other Minnesota players, I don't know. I just think it will be fun to see him play.

A couple years ago I compared MN Transitions schedule during Kevin Noreen's career vs. Ellsworth's schedule during Cody Schilling's career, and the absolutely unmistakeable conclusion was that Noreen faced much tougher competition. Noreen played something like 40 games versus higher classes while Schilling faced about 20. And for every weak charter school or Christian school in the metro area, there is a small town team out on the prairie that won 3 games and lost by scores like 80-20 on a regular basis. There is just no real evidence that Noreen played a "weak" schedule. There is of course a vast ocean of prejudice, but it just doesn't hold up to a little bit of research.

I have not studied Broman's schedule and I would guess it's a bit weaker than Noreen's, but I see Lakeview playing metro AA and AAA schools now and again. I doubt if it's weaker than Schilling's. And keep in mind, Schilling had a nice career at Augustana. Noreen is now starting for West Virginia.

P.S. Games against non-MSHSL schools do not count.

I can't comment on Broman's competition, but he played very well with the Howard Pulley program this past summer. The young man has a lot of talent and plays hard on both ends of the floor. He was held scoreless for a half in the tip-off game at Minnetonka and didn't panic. He was triple teamed and calmly passed the ball to open team mates. I believe he ended up with close to 20 points in the second half.

He also plays the following day (Jan 5th) at the Timberwolves shootout vs. Onalaska, WI. I am guessing Matt Thomas will guard him, providing him a much greater challenge. That is the 9am game.

A couple years ago I compared MN Transitions schedule during Kevin Noreen's career vs. Ellsworth's schedule during Cody Schilling's career, and the absolutely unmistakeable conclusion was that Noreen faced much tougher competition. Noreen played something like 40 games versus higher classes while Schilling faced about 20. And for every weak charter school or Christian school in the metro area, there is a small town team out on the prairie that won 3 games and lost by scores like 80-20 on a regular basis. There is just no real evidence that Noreen played a "weak" schedule. There is of course a vast ocean of prejudice, but it just doesn't hold up to a little bit of research.

I have not studied Broman's schedule and I would guess it's a bit weaker than Noreen's, but I see Lakeview playing metro AA and AAA schools now and again. I doubt if it's weaker than Schilling's. And keep in mind, Schilling had a nice career at Augustana. Noreen is now starting for West Virginia.

P.S. Games against non-MSHSL schools do not count.

Broman also plays Duluth East, Central, Denfeld and schools in that area. They might not be good teams but they are bigger schools than Lakeview

scoring records are nice but also just a number... It matters who you play for as in the getting playing time in 7th or 8th grade, style of play, post season success = more games played and smaller schools have more playoff games. Strength of Schedule. Pretty useless to compare players based on career scoring.

scoring records are nice but also just a number... It matters who you play for as in the getting playing time in 7th or 8th grade, style of play, post season success = more games played and smaller schools have more playoff games. Strength of Schedule. Pretty useless to compare players based on career scoring.

Yes and no.

Yes--Can't compare these 3 to kids at AAAA schools and the like who aren't going to play in 7th and 8th grade, and who face vastly tougher competition.

No--But you can compare Noreen, Schilling and Broman, all Class A players with very early varsity exposure (7th, 8th grade), to one another, you know, just for fun.

True, however Noreen's Team was notorious for running up the score, keeping the starters in and the press on . Lake View has had way fewer blowouts and Broman actually needs to play big minutes.

Top Bottom