Minnesota to hire Paul Haynes as cornerbacks coach

I still remember that horrible game against Kent State in 2015. Peak Matt Limegrover RUTM offense on display. It was a win only in the most technical sense of the word.
It was really one of the lowest points, possibly only because it came after a successful 2014 ... and we couldn't think of / execute more than turtling up and RUTM ...

It was really one of the lowest points, possibly only because it came after a successful 2014 ... and we couldn't think of / execute more than turtling up and RUTM ...

1st down: RUTM
2nd down: RUTM
3rd down: Lakeville Tebow chucking it up for a triple covered KJ Maye

Rinse and repeat.

I still remember that horrible game against Kent State in 2015. Peak Matt Limegrover RUTM offense on display. It was a win only in the most technical sense of the word.

That game vs. Western Michigan, then coached by the soon to be Illinois HC was almost as bad. Back at that time I had not yet figured out that Jerry Kill fancied himself to be the second coming of Bill Walsh. I used to just assume he was a defensive guy, based on his miserable offenses.

That game vs. Western Michigan, then coached by the soon to be Illinois HC was almost as bad. Back at that time I had not yet figured out that Jerry Kill fancied himself to be the second coming of Bill Walsh. I used to just assume he was a defensive guy, based on his miserable offenses.

But Tracey Clayes was running the offense...……….

Don’t know the number of ex-head coaches PJ as hired but that seems to really be the new trend. I see Saban just hired his 6th. offensive analyst all ex head coaches. As an analyst they can’t be down on the field but I am sure th
You were saying.....

Wozniak was our leading receiver with 3 catches for 40 yards. I would imagine the I Heart TEs crowd remembers this game fondly?
Woz was underutilized. At his height he could have just stood in the end zone and the QB throw the ball where only he could catch it.
IALTO

The MVP of that game was Mortell for his 293 punting yards. Did he get the Ray Guy punter of the week award?

It's impossible to hire assistants with great D1 head coaching records because they're all head coaches.

Not exactly related to hiring Coach Haynes but nevertheless an interesting hire. I see Georgia hired the SC coach from Alabama. It’s dog eat dog in the SEC. He(Scott Cochran) will be paid right at $1 million to be the Georgia special teams coach. Highest paid assistant not a OC/DC.

I don't know if he seeks out guys with head coaching experience but with Haynes coming on board that makes 4 assistants with head coaching experience on the staff. The other 3 being Sanford, Harasymiak, and Patterson. Not going to comb through coaching bios but that feels like a pretty high number.

My guess is that PJ may be drawn some to guys that have been in charge and are maybe better equipped to see the big picture the way head coaches have to.
PJ is a CEO, so he likes to have HC abilities in the assistant ranks. They all know how to run the program. It seems like a great way to do things.

Woz was underutilized. At his height he could have just stood in the end zone and the QB throw the ball where only he could catch it.
IALTO

Except he would often not catch the ball. He just was not a great athlete compared to others.

Except he would often not catch the ball. He just was not a great athlete compared to others.
Correct. The statement I wrote was often thrown out on GH back in the Woz days. My post was a joke which is why I included the "IALTO" at the end.

Correct. The statement I wrote was often thrown out on GH back in the Woz days. My post was a joke which is why I included the "IALTO" at the end.

Which is not a word. Use English.

I remember having high hopes going into the 2015 season. 3 out of the 6 Gopher wins that season were very close games against MAC teams.

Well...early returns in 2019 caused a bit of perspiration as well although the utter futility of the Kent State game will long be remembered.. Luckily the passing offense in 2019 turned out to be exponentially better in the Big Ten tilts...

Well...early returns in 2019 caused a bit of perspiration as well although the utter futility of the Kent State game will long be remembered.. Luckily the passing offense in 2019 turned out to be exponentially better in the Big Ten tilts...

I also remember the angst early in 2019. I admit that I was very worried that it was foreshadowing a rougher than hoped season ahead. IIRC, @GopherWeatherGuy pointed out that jNW had a poor NC effort the year before and still did great - but I was pretty sure that was the exception, not the rule. Huh, he was right, I was wrong. Still, I'd like to have a stronger NC performance in 2020 or I'll likely be worried again.

I remember having high hopes going into the 2015 season. 3 out of the 6 Gopher wins that season were very close games against MAC teams.

4 out of the 7 Gophers losses that season were very close games against #1, #2, #8, and #15 ranked teams.

Which is not a word. Use English.
I'm 62 years old, dont live in MN, and even I know what IALTO means.

If I didn't, I could google it, and low and behold, look at that...1st entry is from the urban dictionary. IALTO--I always loved that one--coined by KFAN host Dan Cole.

Behold the second half drive stats after the Rashad Still fumble and 80 yard Kent state return for a touchdown. Looks like 2.4 ypc on 44 opportunities for the game, which could have been worse.

I'm 62 years old, dont live in MN, and even I know what IALTO means.

If I didn't, I could google it, and low and behold, look at that...1st entry is from the urban dictionary. IALTO--I always loved that one--coined by KFAN host Dan Cole.

If you want people in America to understand what you are writing, write in English. Simple idea. If you don't, write in some other language like French, Gambian or street code. But then don't pretend that you were very clear in what you were writing.

If you want people in America to understand what you are writing, write in English. Simple idea. If you don't, write in some other language like French, Gambian or street code. But then don't pretend that you were very clear in what you were writing.

I think you guys should grab a beer and work through your issues

Getting back to Haynes as a CB position coach, this guy has an amazing resume if you look at it in sequence. Consistent upward trajectory until 2017. Hard to imagine a better background, on paper anyway:

2002, Louisville, secondary coach
2003, Michigan State, secondary coach
2004, Michigan State, secondary coach
2005, Ohio State, secondary coach
2006, Ohio State, secondary coach
2007, Ohio State, secondary coach
2008, Ohio State, secondary coach
2009, Ohio State, secondary coach
2010, Ohio State, secondary coach
2011, Ohio State, secondary coach, co-defensive coordinator
2012, Arkansas, defensive coordinator
2013, Kent State, head coach
2014, Kent State, head coach
2015, Kent State, head coach
2016, Kent State, head coach
2017, Kent State, head coach
2018, Michigan State, secondary coach
2019, Michigan State, secondary coach

Clear to everyone but you does not equal being unclear.

Top Bottom