Minnesota to hire Paul Haynes as cornerbacks coach

AtTheLibrary

Reaction score
Minnesota expected to hire Paul Haynes as cornerbacks coach. He spent last season at Michigan State and served as head coach at Kent State from 2013-17.

DB coach at Ohio State from 2005-10 and co-defensive coordinator there in 2011. I'll take him.

Not a great tenure as Head Coach though:
2013: 4-8
2014: 2-9
2015: 3-9
2016: 3-9
2017: 2-10
Overall: 14-45

However PJ likes coaches who have failed in the past. Fits well with his message that Failure is Growth. Also, being a Head Coach is very different than being a position coach. I don't know enough about defensive stats to rate analyze him as a position coach though. He's primarily been a DB coach over his career.

However PJ likes coaches who have failed in the past. Fits well with his message that Failure is Growth. Also, being a Head Coach is very different than being a position coach. I don't know enough about defensive stats to rate analyze him as a position coach though. He's primarily been a DB coach over his career.
I think when you see a former D1 HC being hired as CB coach it's a safe assumption that his tenure as an HC didn't go great. But he's way overqualified for this position which is great

We got some younger coaches without a huge amount of experience so a dude who has seen some stuff, I'm cool with that.

And I'd take Brewster back as a TE coach...

Didn't he hold us to 10 points (2015 season)??

I don't know if he seeks out guys with head coaching experience but with Haynes coming on board that makes 4 assistants with head coaching experience on the staff. The other 3 being Sanford, Harasymiak, and Patterson. Not going to comb through coaching bios but that feels like a pretty high number.

My guess is that PJ may be drawn some to guys that have been in charge and are maybe better equipped to see the big picture the way head coaches have to.

Anyone who has head coaching experience is a great addition. They can help with more 'program wide' decisions and may have experience dealing with situations that Coach Fleck has not. Regardless of his HC record, his experience is great!

PJ has known Haynes for a long time. They were together at OSU in 2006, and obviously coached against each other in the MAC, so this fits the pattern of PJ hiring his friends.

How dare you make this claim....you've never heard of T. Brewster?;)

Has he ever said this?

We got some younger coaches without a huge amount of experience so a dude who has seen some stuff, I'm cool with that.

And I'd take Brewster back as a TE coach...
Why not as our tight end room is very tiny and dark.....

How true to his word. Winning or losing as have been mentioned, the Gophers have former head coaches Mike Sanford, Joe Harasymiak, Clay Patterson, and now Paul Haynes on the staff. Did I miss anyone? Failure and former head coaching experience obviously gives one a better perspective on the next opportunity like they have with the Gophers.

Also, a former head coach who was not successful as a head coach, but has had success as a coordinator or position coach, is not as much, if any threat at all to be stolen away from a school looking for a head coach. That limits how many calls these assistants will be getting to programs needing specifically a coordinator or, in this guys case, a program needing specifically a CBs coach.

Has he ever said this?
I believe he said something along the lines of this during the press conference/interview after hiring our new OC.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, he may have said "fired in the past" rather than "failed in the past" but I think many of of would equate being fired to failing.

I personally like hires having Head Coaching experience regardless of W/L record. I think they bring a certain dynamic in that they’ve been in leadership positions before, may have unique or similar experiences to share at the table, and know what did or probably didn’t work in recruiting certain Geographical areas. As for hiring friends - you’re probably bringing Trust on board and that can be a good thing. Just my 2 cents.

Also, a former head coach who was not successful as a head coach, but has had success as a coordinator or position coach, is not as much, if any threat at all to be stolen away from a school looking for a head coach. That limits how many calls these assistants will be getting to programs needing specifically a coordinator or, in this guys case, a program needing specifically a CBs coach.
Also allows them to polish up there resume by regaining a successful record and being part of the PJ tree.

Not everyone is cut out to be a head coach. Clearly a different animal. I like this hire.

I still remember that horrible game against Kent State in 2015. Peak Matt Limegrover RUTM offense on display. It was a win only in the most technical sense of the word.
Win* ???

Don’t know the number of ex-head coaches PJ as hired but that seems to really be the new trend. I see Saban just hired his 6th. offensive analyst all ex head coaches. As an analyst they can’t be down on the field but I am sure th

Top Bottom