Minnesota Recruiting Rewind: Best signee, biggest bust, the one who got away (from theathletic.com)

pk2

Reaction score
Theathletic.com is putting out a list of recruiting superlatives for each P5 program. Here’s a glance at Minnesota’s:

Best recruit, pre-internet rankings: Darrell Thompson
Best recruit, modern era: Carter Coughlin
Most influential recruit: Sandy Stephens
Biggest bust: Jeff Jones
Best developmental story: Mohamed Ibrahim
The ones who got away: Jalen Mayfield and Brennan Armstrong

Since theathletic.com is a pay site, not all will have access to it, but for those who do, here’s the link:

Last edited:

Man, I forgot Jeff Jones was the MVP of the Under Armour game. I know nothing about that kid's life, but I feel for somebody who essentially ends up throwing away a golden ticket. Hope he's doing ok wherever he is.

Man, I forgot Jeff Jones was the MVP of the Under Armour game. I know nothing about that kid's life, but I feel for somebody who essentially ends up throwing away a golden ticket. Hope he's doing ok wherever he is.
If the U was cool with kids who didn't want to play school, things might have been different for Jeff!

Hmmm. Kind of surprised that JJ Watt wasn’t listed as being amongst one of the ones who got away, as both he and future MSU All-American LB Greg Jones committed in the same cycle to Glen Mason, prior to stuff happening and they deciding to go away.

Jerry Kill tried to help him academically, but he was beyond help. It doesn't sound like he got the academic help he needed early on before college.

Top Bottom