Minnesota/Purdue Pre-Game Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos + More

per Shooter:

The Gophers' game against Purdue on Saturday in Minneapolis probably will determine which team gets a bowl berth this season.

Minnesota is 4-3 after a 4-0 start. Purdue is 3-4 but has an easier remaining schedule than the Gophers. Six victories are required to be bowl eligible.

In USA Today's Sagarin national football ratings, Purdue is No. 53, the Gophers No. 73.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21836065

Go Gophers!!

Sansevere's Huddle: The future is right now for freshman Nelson

The Gophers' football team has been handed over to true freshman quarterback Philip Nelson, and Pioneer Press columnist Bob Sansevere looks into what that means, with twincities.com web sports producer Kevin Cusick and Pioneer Press reporters Marcus Fuller and John Shipley. They also discuss the Twins' new coaches and what could be in store for the starting rotation, as well as a shocking fantasy league started by high school athletes.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21845822/sanseveres-huddle-future-is-right-now-freshman-nelson

Go Gophers!!

CBS: Purdue Boilermakers at Minnesota Golden Gophers: Preview, prediction, TV info

The game comes down to: Can Minnesota pass the ball? The Gophers got a solid performance from Philip Nelson last week against Wisconsin. The freshman completed 13 of 24 passes for 149 yards with two touchdowns against two interceptions while rushing for a team-high 67 yards in his first start. If he can stretch the field and protect the ball, Minnesota has a shot at celebrating its first league win.

Prediction: Minnesota 27, Purdue 20

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ota-golden-gophers-preview-prediction-tv-info

Go Gophers!!

Plsek: Catching passes is fine, but I like to hit

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/175831891.html

"I like catching the ball, but knocking people down is pretty cool," the 18-year-old Gopher freshman said. "I like hitting linebackers, hitting defensive ends. Getting physical, (playing) hard, aggressive football, that's what I enjoy most."

Go Gophers!!

Tweet from the U: "#Gophers are one of five schools to start three different QBs this year. Joining Kentucky, Southern Miss, Tulane and Utah."

Go Gophers!!

Cool interview with Derrick Engel. Out of sheer randomness I'm currently matched with Derrick's little brother, Sean, at work through Best Prep's eMentors program. Seems like a good kid and I look forward to meeting the guy.

2 Deeps this week

Regarding offensive line, QB, and RB's we have one Junior on the 2 deep depth chart this week, and 7 Freshman.

Can anyone find a YOUNGER 2 deep at those positions in the BCS? Then, when you do, show me their 5-2 record. Ofcourse Wisconsin is younger. LMFAO

BleedGopher said:
Plsek: Catching passes is fine, but I like to hit

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/175831891.html

"I like catching the ball, but knocking people down is pretty cool," the 18-year-old Gopher freshman said. "I like hitting linebackers, hitting defensive ends. Getting physical, (playing) hard, aggressive football, that's what I enjoy most."

Go Gophers!!

Defensive Tackle.

per Shama:

Gray: Team Accepts New U QB
October 26, 2012 - (0) comments

Philip Nelson, 19, will make his second start as the Gophers quarterback tomorrow. He’s accepted as the new leader of the offense, according to MarQueis Gray.

Nelson, a freshman and earlier this year the No. 3 quarterback, sat on the sidelines for only six games before becoming the starter last week atWisconsin. Gray, who will be 22 next month, waited three years after high school to become the Gophers No. 1 quarterback last season.

A high ankle sprain and knee injury suffered against Western Michigan on September 15 sidelined Gray for two-plus games. More recently he hasn’t been healthy enough to reclaim the quarterback job and coach Jerry Kill will send Gray out to play wide receiver against Purdue tomorrow, a position that will subject him to much less punishment than quarterback.

Gray started 10 of 11 games at quarterback for the Gophers last season. This preseason he was viewed as the team’s MVP, the one player the Gophers couldn’t be without. Teammates admire his athleticism and look at him as a leader.

Gray prefers to play quarterback but understands his circumstances now and voices support for Nelson. Gray said “the offense is going to accept whoever is back there (at quarterback),” and he is supportive of Nelson. What can Gray do to lessen the pressure on the true freshman?

“Keep building his confidence in the huddle, on the sidelines, (and) catching everything that comes my way (at receiver),” Gray said. “Making sure I am making the right blocks. Being in his head about how this game is slower than what most people may think it is. Realizing that he’s the leader of this offense now. … Just being out there encouraging him is the best thing I can do.”

Nelson, who played high school football at Mankato West, enrolled at Minnesota early this year so he could be around his new teammates and learn the offense. He made friends and developed rapport with teammates. He said the Gophers “trust” the coaches and “whoever is back there will get support from them (the players).”

Kill is an admirer of Nelson’s skills including his release in throwing the ball. The coach said Nelson’s release is quicker than Gray’s or No. 2 quarterback Max Shortell. “You could see that on Saturday, if you watched the game,” Kill said.

Not unexpectedly, Nelson made mistakes in his first college start but he was impressive including when he ran effectively. In the Wisconsin game he was the team’s leading rusher with 16 carries and 67 net yards. He completed 13 of 24 passes for 149 yards and two touchdowns. He showed an ability to avoid tacklers even in the pocket and wasn’t sacked.

What about tomorrow? “It’s going to be real exciting,” Nelson said. “Us as a team really want to come out and win this one for sure. This is a must win.”

The Gophers, 4-3, have lost three consecutive games (0-3 in the Big Ten). With five games remaining and trying to reach at least six wins to become bowl eligible, there’s no doubting the importance of defeating a Purdue team with a mediocre 3-4 overall record and 0-3 in the Big Ten.

It will be an opportunity for Nelson to lead, but if something were to happen to him during the game Shortell will likely be the replacement. As Kill said earlier in the week, Gray just isn’t “100 percent.”

Gray said he tries to keep his attitude positive around teammates, admitting he’s “been through a lot.” How does he approach these recent weeks where his health has been a problem?

“Just realizing that there’s people out there in the world who is going through more than what I am,” he answered. “That’s one of the reasons how I keep my head. Coming through there (practice), going home to my kids. …”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

1500 Preview: Gophers face Purdue with first Big Ten victory up for grabs

The call: Gophers

Saturday's match-up is more of a toss-up than any of the Gophers' previous seven games. Purdue's season is teetering on the edge of becoming an outright failure, while the Gophers are trying not to let a 4-0 start go to waste. The postseason outlook for both teams could be heavily determined by the end result on Saturday. With two sub-par offenses countering each other, scoring may be spread out. The Gophers blew their chances in this type of game two weeks ago at home against Northwestern. But Kill's team is likely to be bolstered by the realization that another debacle in a winnable home game would cast a negative tone on their season.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...with_first_Big_Ten_victory_up_for_grabs102612

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom