Minnesota @ Penn State 2022 - Media Predictions

IceBoxGopher

Reaction score
The York (PA) Daily Record has Penn State winning 24-16
There are things working in Penn State's favor here, no matter the quarterback or how bad last week looked in Michigan. This offers a mode of recovery and redemption, which should be a powerful motivator. So should the prime-time White Out environment.

Plus, the Lions know last year. As in what can happen when you start 5-0, then lose a game you fully-expected not to − then carry your disappointment and listlessness into the following week. They know what it feels like for a season to collapse. For folks to be breathing fire at their head coach who has seemed a bit lost since a triumphant end to 2019.

Expect the leaders such as Clifford and PJ Mustipher and Ji'Ayir Brown to draw a line in the sand with their teammates, particularly the youngest, starry ones. This all means this: A motivated, energized Penn State team, no matter its exact expertise at the moment, should be able to grind its way past a less-talented side with just as many issues.

It may not look as sharp as many would hope or even expect. But delivering just enough at this moment will suffice for now, welcomingly so. If nothing other than they know how the alternative feels.

The Daily Gopher (SB Nation) has Penn State winning 19-10
Minnesota went from averaging 45 points per game through the first four games to averaging 12 points per game in their last two contests, both of which were losses. Against Purdue, the Gophers’ ground game came to a screeching halt without Mohamed Ibrahim. The following week against Illinois, Ibrahim returned but the Illini defense took the oxygen out of Minnesota’s air attack, limiting them to 38 yards passing and forcing three interceptions.

Redshirt freshman Athan Kaliakmanis was responsible for throwing two of those interceptions after being forced into action due to the upper body injury that forced starting quarterback Tanner Morgan out of the game in the fourth quarter. Head coach P.J. Fleck has been customarily tight-lipped about Morgan’s status aside from a vague update at his Monday press conference.

Kaliakmanis drawing his first career start in Happy Valley would certainly not be ideal. Aside from the hostile environment, Kaliakmanis would be facing one of the most talented secondaries in the Big Ten. Redshirt senior safety Ji’Ayir Brown is the star of the Nittany Lions’ secondary, leading the team in tackles (34) and tied for the team lead in interceptions (2).

Redshirt junior Joey Porter Jr. is their top-rated cornerback, with a team-high seven pass break-ups, though sophomore Kalen King is far behind with six of his own. Penn State gives up a fair amount of yards through the air (242.5 passing yards allowed per game), but they buckle down in the red zone, only allowing three passing touchdowns in 21 red zone trips.

With how much the Minnesota wide receiver corps struggled to create separation against Illinois, I’m not sure I like their chances of bouncing back against Penn State. Against the run, the Nittany Lions got steamrolled by Michigan’s offensive line last week, paving the way for 418 total rushing yards. Ibrahim should be able to find room to run, but Minnesota’s offensive line isn’t nearly as overpowering as Michigan’s. He will have to earn every yard, especially if the Gophers can’t force Penn State to respect the pass.

I just don’t have much confidence in the Gophers’ offense at this point, especially if Tanner Morgan is unable to play. Expecting a redshirt freshman quarterback to lead your team to victory on the road in his first career start seems like a big ask.

May be a lot of dinks this week but I don’t really blame them based on the last two gopher outings.

Right now, the Gophers are low-hanging fruits for the Nittany Lions.

College Football News has Penn State winning 24-20
Which Minnesota team will show up?

Will it be the one that couldn’t do anything wrong in East Lansing in the dominant win over Michigan State, or will it be the one that couldn’t get going in Champaign in the frustrating loss to Illinois?

Besides those being the games against the two best teams on the slate so far, there was one other problem – the turnovers. Minnesota turned it over three times in the first four games and six times – all interceptions – in the last two.

Penn State will struggle, and it’ll get hammered on for the second week in a row. A decent offensive balance and +2 turnover margin will be the difference.

StatSalt has Penn State coming away with the victory
There is a reason why the Minnesota Golden Gophers are not ranked headed into this game while the Penn State Nittany Lions are. These offenses have not been scoring much at all in their previous two games as Minnesota is scoring 12 points per game, while Penn State is averaging 17 points per game in that stretch.

With Tanner Morgan being injured, I do not trust that he will be 100 percent and a compromised quarterback against this Penn State team is not a recipe for success… Go with the Penn State Nittany Lions to cover the spread here and win by a full possession.

OddShark has Minnesota winning 34-32
Minnesota will win, cover the spread and the total will go over.

At Spartans Wire (USA Today), two writers are taking Minnesota while one has Penn State winning.

on the Gopher Gridiron Radio podcast,
Luke Buer picked Penn State 21-17
Ryan Burns picked Penn State 23-13

note - each said they were basing their predictions on the premise that Morgan would NOT play and AK would be the starter. They also agreed that Clifford was likely to start for PSU.

essentially - FR QB making 1st start in a night game - and a "white-out" game at Penn State = too much to overcome.

Wolverines Wire (USA Today) has Penn State winning 24-17
Penn State looked to be a real contender in the Big Ten until it faced Michigan.

The Nittany Lions looked like a disaster. The then-ranked No. 5 run defense allowed over 400 yards on the ground against the Wolverines and the maize and blue won, 41-17.

The Gophers, like Penn State, looked like a true contender. Since starting the season 4-0, Minnesota has dropped back-to-back games.

Statistically, these two teams are similar. Both score a little over 30 points per game, and the Minnesota defense allows a few less points a game. But this is going to be an electrifying atmosphere in Happy Valley on Saturday so I’ll take my shot with Penn State.

All three writers at Athlon Sports have Penn State winning

The Star Tribune has Penn State winning 24-13
An extension to three road games and a home competition was going to be challenging for the Gophers, who started off well with a 34-7 win at Michigan State. They can point their seasons in the right direction if they clear troubles in Happy Valley.

If Morgan cannot start, the task becomes difficult and Kaliakmanis or Kramer must begin their first career in a hostile environment. QB status means Ibrahim becomes even more important. The good news for the Gophers is that Penn State dropped 418 yards on the ground in Michigan, so there may be opportunities.

The Nittany Lions are facing a lot of pressure after back-to-back seasons of 4-5 and 7-6, and the game is big as Ohio State tours next week.

While Penn State has its flaws, and Michigan exposed them last week, the Nittany Lions will have a lot going for the Gophers team that is suddenly full of questions.

The Pioneer Press has Penn State winning 24-20
MN Off vs. PSU Def: The U is coming off its lowest total passing yards total (38) since the Gophers threw for a grand total of seven yards (!) against San Jose State in 2014. With uncertainly at QB, Ibrahim will have even more important. Ill had success blitzing Minnesota last week, and PSU DC Manny Diaz, the former Miami coach, likes to blitz, simulate pressure and play man coverage.

Minnesota has lacked pass-catching playmakers for weeks, with Ciarrocca challenging his receivers to be more aggressive.
Edge: PSU

MN Def vs. PSU Off:
Minnesota’s defense was the backbone of the team through the first five games, but against the Illini, did too much bending. The Gophers were allowing 222 yards per game but gave up 250 more than that to Illinois (472).

Minnesota remains best in the nation on third-down defense, but each of the Illini’s four fourth-down conversions on four attempts led to points last week. The Nittany Lions could look for whoever is matched up on Justin Walley, who was targeted a team-high seven times last week and gave up six receptions for 76 yards. Rossi expressed confidence that the sophomore CB will bounce back, based on what he did in similar spots as a freshman
. EDGE: MN

Prediction:
The Gophers should be able to run the ball against the Nittany Lions, but abundant questions in the passing game (health of Morgan, dearth of playmaking pass-catchers) make it difficult to foresee a road upset in one of college football best atmospheres.

All Penn State (Sports Illustrated) has Penn State winning 27-20
Penn State's offense is nagged by doubt after scoring 27 points and three touchdowns over its past two games. It needs better quarterback play, more big plays, more tight ends, more everything. Offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich must pull Penn State from the rut soon, particularly with Ohio State coming to town.

To their benefit, the Lions are facing a one-dimensional offense that their defense should be able to contain. Penn State has to make Ibrahim's yards not matter, then cash in behind Singleton and Kaytron Allen.

This is an important game for the Lions, who make it count.

Here are the predictions from Black Shoe Diaries (Penn State SB Nation)
LandoBSD has Penn State winning 31-20: I think Penn State comes into this game angry, and given the potential loss of Tanner Morgan, Minnesota becomes more one-dimensional. We won’t see a repeat performance by the run defense, and the freshman running backs get back on track.

Marty Leap has Minnesota winning 24-17: Man, does it even feel like the White Out week? No excitement, no buzz, no juice. Guess that’s what happens when you are coming off a thorough beat down and remain committed to a below average quarterback that close to zero people are still interested in watching play. This could lead to a relatively dull White Out crowd which certainly will hurt Penn State.

That said, on the field, this is not a good matchup for Penn State. Last week their rush defense was exposed. While Minnesota is not as good as Michigan, they’ll still look to run the ball 30-40 times behind a big physical offensive line. Mo Ibrahim isn’t Blake Corum, but he’s still one of the best backs in the Big 10.

Penn State’s offense continues to regress each week. Probably not a coincidence that Sean Clifford continues to do the same. Yet, James Franklin won’t even consider moving on from Clifford. Oh, did we mentioned Franklin’s tendency to lose consecutive games? This is season nine for him, in six of the first eight he lost consecutive games at least once.

History tends to repeat itself. James Franklin’s history of back-to-back losses repeats itself on Saturday night.

Bennett765 has Penn State winning 24-20: This mirrors last year’s game against Illinois in so many ways. Penn State coming off a disappointing performance (with an injured quarterback) and home to a west team that is scrambling in its own right. Last year, we know what happened.
This year. I’m giving the benefit of the doubt to the Lions - mostly because of the White Out.

There’s a decided lack of attention for the White Out for the first time...maybe ever? But, playing at night and playing with some desperation, I think Penn State finds its way.

I look for a game a lot like Penn State played against Indiana back in 2019 - slowish start and never quite comfortable. But good enough to shake off last week’s embarrassment.

Patrick Koerbler has Penn State winning 24-20

Tim Aydin has Penn State winning 20-17
: I really should know better than to pick PSU to win in a situation like this but screw it…Give me a painful game that will feature plenty of booing, but PSU somehow ekes out a dub under the White Out lights. Thank goodness they now serve beer at Beaver Stadium, because I’ll likely need it.

Jared Slanina has Penn State winning 24-21: I’ll admit that I’m hesitant to make this pick. Penn State has a history of underachieving in the week following its first loss. There’s also reason to be concerned that Penn State’s offense may not be to able to produce enough against Minnesota’s stingy defense, allowing the Gophers to come out on top in a low-scoring affair (assuming Penn State’s run defense isn’t throttled by one of the nation’s best running backs again).

However, things aren’t bright and sunny for Minnesota either. They come into the game on a two-game losing skid thanks to a lack of production on offense. They may also be without Tanner Morgan, leaving them with an inexperienced quarterback to handle things in a hostile environment while facing a menacing pass rush.

This game is likely to doom one team’s season and keep another afloat. A loss for Minnesota would be their third in a row, and likely eliminate them from the West race that they were widely picked to win ahead of the season. A loss for Penn State would likely mean a three-game skid as well with Ohio State rolling into town next week. That could lead to a depleted team trying to close out the season after reaching a 5-0 start and the top 10.

I respected the grit of this team during the 5-0 start, and don’t expect that to go away because of a loss to a team that was just flat-out better than them. I think we see a bounce back game from the defensive line and getting back to creating momentum-shifting plays for the entire defense. The offense won’t set the world ablaze, but will put together enough quality drives to get the job done.

Here are the staff predictions at the Daily Gopher
GoAUpher has Penn State winning 21-10: There’s nothing quite like the futility of watching last week from the stands at Illinois to temper your traditional optimism. I don’t think this team is that far away from returning to the form we saw in the first four games. At least, that’s what I hope. But until they prove themselves capable of fixing the issues with the line play (among other things) then I’m going to have to say I doubt a White Out is where they get back on track.

GopherGuy05 has Penn State winning 24-7: This offense is in free fall and until they prove that they can get it back together, things aren’t going to look great. Penn State’s offense isn’t lighting the world on fire right now either, but they can make explosive plays, something the Gophers definitely can’t do at the moment. Just take the L on Saturday and hope to right the ship by Rutgers week.

GopherNation has Minnesota winning 23-17: Something just feels like this is a game where the Gopher offense gets back on track and perhaps Penn State isn’t quite as good as we think they are.

HipsterGopher has Minnesota winning 24-10: To hell with reasoning or objectivity. Gophers win and match their largest margin of victory in this storied rivalry. 24-10 also being the score of the 2013 victory.

Mowe0018 has Penn State victorious, 24-20: I am puzzled by the line. Seems it should be higher but perhaps Vegas recognizes something that we cannot. In any case, I’m going to go optimistic and say that the Gophers at least look serviceable and lose because they just couldn’t create the game-changing type play required to pull off a road upset.

White Speed Receiver is predicting a 27-10 Penn State win: I’d like to be wrong, but I’m not sure I see it right now. So I’ll just go to the game and try to have some fun and enjoy the White Out.

WildCatToo is picking Penn State, 21-10: Prove me wrong, Gophers. I beg you.

ZipsOfAkron has Minnesota edging Penn State 24-23: Gopher fans are bred to be tormented, so the greatest torment would be to win in a hostile environment, get people feeling good again, and then lose to Northwestern in a few weeks.

Gopher Illustrated (247 Sports has Penn State winning 23-13
I think both defenses are pretty good, but I also think we've got to find out who is starting at quarterback for each team. Will it be sixth-year veteran guys, or will it be a battle of freshmen? Either way, you've certainly got to give Penn State the advantage of playing this game at home, as the atmosphere will be the most difficult one that Minnesota plays in all season.

But unless the Gopher defense gets a touchdown, or special teams help for the second consecutive week, I don't see Happy Valley as the place where Minnesota's passing offense starts to figure it out. I understand that Penn State was molly whopped on the ground against Michigan, but this week is different.

I expect to see Penn State DC Manny Diaz dial up blitzes and load the box, so unless things magically change for the Gophers receivers with creating separation or catching a contested ball, it's likely not going to go well for the Gophers here.

Penn State is 4-1 in their last five White Out games, and I see that trend continuing on Saturday.

Bleacher Report is predicting a 23-20 Penn State victory
If quarterback Tanner Morgan (head) is unable to play, Minnesota will be short-handed. That said, Michigan just ran up, over, around and through Penn State last weekend—and Minnesota has Mohamed Ibrahim, one of the nation's top running backs. But the hosts, looking to recover from that embarrassing 41-17 loss, should be able to pull out a victory in their annual White Out game.

Last edited:

on the Gopher Gridiron Radio podcast,
Luke Buer picked Penn State 21-17
Ryan Burns picked Penn State 23-13

note - each said they were basing their predictions on the premise that Morgan would NOT play and AK would be the starter. They also agreed that Clifford was likely to start for PSU.

essentially - FR QB making 1st start in a night game - and a "white-out" game at Penn State = too much to overcome.
this is such an absolutely no brainer for me I am planning on driving to Diamond Joe's down in Iowa and laying 1000.00 on PSU -4.5 which is a ridiculously low line.

Gophers lose by at LEAST 10 in this one....

this is such an absolutely no brainer for me I am planning on driving to Diamond Joe's down in Iowa and laying 1000.00 on PSU -4.5 which is a ridiculously low line.

Gophers lose by at LEAST 10 in this one....
I'm a day ahead of you. Took care of that yesterday.
FanDuel down to -5.5 BTW

A few more

Sporting News has Penn State winning 28-22
This line dropped a half-point from its open, and it's all about how the Nittany Lions get up after a humbling 41-17 loss at Michigan. Minnesota also is coming off a 26-14 loss to Illinois, and the Gophers have averaged just 12 points per game the last two weeks.

Minnesota beat Penn State 31-26 in 2019 – and Tanner Morgan and Sean Clifford were the quarterbacks in that game, too. Penn State gets back on track in a second-half slugfest.

The Omaha World Herald has Penn State winning 23-16
Line: Penn State by 4½. Strange line. PSU got spanked at Michigan but has home field advantage, the better (and healthier) quarterback, plus superior skill. Minnesota has a second straight road game and considerable question marks about its passing game.

Hawkeyes Wire (USA Today) has Penn State winning 33-24
Penn State hands Minnesota their third-straight loss and P.J. Fleck’s seat quietly gets a little warmer than some realize. He hasn’t proven the ability to win a conference that is consistently being put in front of him for the taking.

At CBS Sports, all seven writers are predicting a Penn State win.

Top Bottom