Minnesota/Oregon 2003 Sun Bowl on right now

kg21

Reaction score
Big10 network

6:00 central

Barber?Maroney in the backfield. Fun to watch. Thomas Tapeh, also.

Right before the gophers basketball on BTN. Later in the night, they have more gopher bowl games. Outback Bowl, Music City Bowl, and Quick Lane Bowl also playing overnight if anyone wants to tape them. It's Minnesota night!

Last edited:

Sorry to give the ending away but it was redemption from the 1999 loss to the Ducks in the same bowl game.

Sorry to give the ending away but it was redemption from the 1999 loss to the Ducks in the same bowl game.
Well, they don't feature Big 10 teams on the replays where they lose. Unless it's one big 10 team against another.

Hossack........good catch, but then the fumble.

"Barber?Maroney in the backfield. Fun to watch. Thomas Tapeh, also."

man, that was a great backfield. wasn't tapeh's nickname the snowplow? just pushed the snowflakes out of the way

Take about a wounded duck. That field goal was still a beauty.

I came across it while flipping channels and hadn’t seen this thread here. The MN football classics tend to repeat themselves a lot but I hadn’t seen this one ever. Went to look at “other showings” and this is it? Figures. I would love to record this one and see it from the beginning.

I watched it last night, too -- I barely remembered that game. Fun to watch. My first thought is we probably didn't appreciate Asad Abdul Kaliq enough when he was here. If we had a ring of honor, that offense might have five guys included: Barber, Maroney, Setterstrom, Eslinger, Spaeth.

I watched it last night, too -- I barely remembered that game. Fun to watch. My first thought is we probably didn't appreciate Asad Abdul Kaliq enough when he was here. If we had a ring of honor, that offense might have five guys included: Barber, Maroney, Setterstrom, Eslinger, Spaeth.
I would argue guys who have won national awards (eslinger and speath) should have their names somewhere in stadium.

winfield and carter probably should too

Ouch. Still the only Gophers bowl game I've ever been to. I guess the upside is, for only having made it to one, it was a heckuva game to go to

This was my first bowl game I went to. Second was 2020 Outback. I am 2-0 and had a fantastic time at both!!
I attended both Sun Bowls (1999 and 2003) and had a blast each time. El Paso may lack some of the higher-end restaurants and hotels found in other cities, but there is a civic pride that the people there have in their game that I haven't experienced at any of the other bowls I have attended. El Paso isn't really a small town and, if you include Juarez, it's a sizeable metropolitan area, but it feels much smaller. Bowls in places like Nashville, Tampa or Orlando can get lost in the sea of other events held there. In El Paso, there seemed to be recognition that this event was their one day to shine on the national stage and it showed. Even something like stopping for snacks or gas miles from the stadium would generate conversation and thanks for coming for the game. And if you like Tex-Mex food, you will love the options to eat somewhere different and wonderful for every meal.

I attended both Sun Bowls (1999 and 2003) and had a blast each time. El Paso may lack some of the higher-end restaurants and hotels found in other cities, but there is a civic pride that the people there have in their game that I haven't experienced at any of the other bowls I have attended. El Paso isn't really a small town and, if you include Juarez, it's a sizeable metropolitan area, but it feels much smaller. Bowls in places like Nashville, Tampa or Orlando can get lost in the sea of other events held there. In El Paso, there seemed to be recognition that this event was their one day to shine on the national stage and it showed. Even something like stopping for snacks or gas miles from the stadium would generate conversation and thanks for coming for the game. And if you like Tex-Mex food, you will love the options to eat somewhere different and wonderful for every meal.

I was at the Y2K (Sun) Bowl and was also impressed with the local support. Tons of locals were tailgating on the roads winding up to the stadium. Beautiful crisp sunny day in the 60s or so. I thought the smallish stadium built into the side of a hill was iconic. I hated the final game results, but it was a great game. On the plus side, the world didn't explode as the clock struck midnight on Y2K. Great food and incredible margaritas can be found in El Paso, but it's not a place you'd want to stay more than two days...and please, stay out of Juarez.

I was at the Y2K (Sun) Bowl and was also impressed with the local support. Tons of locals were tailgating on the roads winding up to the stadium. Beautiful crisp sunny day in the 60s or so. I thought the smallish stadium built into the side of a hill was iconic. I hated the final game results, but it was a great game. On the plus side, the world didn't explode as the clock struck midnight on Y2K. Great food and incredible margaritas can be found in El Paso, but it's not a place you'd want to stay more than two days...and please, stay out of Juarez.
Just like any big city, Juarez has bad parts. But if you're smart (do research about where to go and where not to go) and not getting involved in illegal activity, you can visit it and be safe (good article: https://52perfectdays.com/articles/is-juarez-safe-to-visit/). I have friends that live in El Paso and they visit Juarez often. I've never been there but I've been to Tijuana (another border town) and felt safe while I was there.

Top Bottom