Minnesota - Only team in the West who controls their own destiny

Yes, if MN and Purdue win out they will be tied and MN wins. I'm assuming only 1 team in the west will be 8-1 at most. Purdue could be 2-5 in four weeks.

Right. But we're talking about controlling your own destiny. Only Minnesota can win it, guaranteed, by winning out.

EDIT: No, Murray, you're wrong. Wisconsin also controls their own destiny. Signed: Murray.

Last edited:

Q: If Minnesota wins out, will they win the West?
A: Yes, without any help needed.

Q: If Purdue wins out, will they win the West?
A: Not necessarily. They would need Minnesota to lose at least once.

Q: If Iowa wins out, will they win the West?
A: Not necessarily. They would need Purdue to lose at least once.

Q: If Wisconsin wins out, will they win the West?
A: Not necessarily. They could end up in a three-way tie for first, with complicated tie-breakers.
But Wisconsin would be 6-0 vs the West and should win all tie-breakers.

Right. But we're talking about controlling your own destiny. Only Minnesota can win it, guaranteed, by winning out.
If Winsconsin wins out they win the West. 6-0 in the west and would be 7-2 along with any other west team that only loses to them of Purdue, MN, IA.

Iowa only controls its destiny with a Purdue loss. If Iowa and Purdue win out Purdue wins the division. The same for Purdue but they need a MN loss.

Regarding the bold: Nope. Purdue would need Minnesota to lose. Therefore they don't control their own destiny.

Again: only Minnesota is guaranteed to win it by winning out. Everybody else needs help, in addition to winning out.

Sorry, I was wrong: both Minnesota and Wisconsin control their own destiny. Maxy got it right.

Just get us to the Iowa game with no more losses and that game will be fun.

Regarding the bold: Nope. Purdue would need Minnesota to lose. Therefore they don't control their own destiny.

Again: only Minnesota is guaranteed to win it by winning out. Everybody else needs help, in addition to winning out.
I said "If Iowa and Purdue win out Purdue wins the division." If Iowa wins out the Gophers must have at least one more loss to Iowa.

re: bolded. As I stated above, if Wisconsin or Northwestern win out they need no help as they would own the requisite tiebreakers.

If Iowa and Purdue win out, Minnesota CAN'T win out.

I said "If Iowa and Purdue win out Purdue wins the division." If Iowa wins out the Gophers must have at least one more loss to Iowa.

re: bolded. As I stated above, if Wisconsin or Northwestern win out they need no help as they would own the requisite tiebreakers.

Oh, I see what you're saying. If Iowa and Purdue BOTH win out. Because Iowa will have beaten Minnesota. Got it. Sorry, I'm slow today.

However, if Minnesota wins out Iowa cannot win out. Minnesota would then win the West.

Minnesota and Wisconsin are the only teams that would need no help, and it isn't possible for both to win out because they play each other.

When you consider how inconsistent MN has been this season, I think it's way too premature to talk about running the table.

From my vantage point - the Gophers could beat any team remaining on the schedule - but they could also lose to any team remaining on the schedule.

And before someone says "there is no way the Gophers can lose to Illinois or NW," I have two words for you: Bowling and Green.

the Gophers play Maryland on Saturday. that is the only game that matters. Win that one, and then you can look forward to the next game.

By the time we play WI, I think it will be hard for that game to matter for both teams, (other than one playing spoiler).

The MN-IA game could be the Big Ten West game of the season (or it was this last week with Purdue / Iowa should Purdue win out and we falter.
So you don't want Gophs to beat WI?

The Gophers absolutely should not look ahead.

We fans are allowed to, though.

Top Bottom