Minnesota - Only team in the West who controls their own destiny

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
I heard this on a podcast, and I think it's true.
Even if Iowa beats us, if Purdue would win out the rest of the way, Purdue would be ahead of IA.

We already beat Purdue, so they would need us to lose, and of course they don't control that.
WI has two Big Ten losses and needs other teams to lose.

Even if Iowa beats us, if Purdue would win out the rest of the way, Purdue would be ahead of IA.

We already beat Purdue, so they would need us to lose, and of course they don't control that.
If we win out we are in due to having the tiebreaker over Purdue
If Northwestern wins out they are in because they would have the tiebreaker over us, Iowa and Purdue (all with two losses).
If Wisconsin wins out they are in because they would have the tiebreaker over us, Iowa, and Purdue

You are right that Iowa needs a Purdue loss, and Purdue needs a Minnesota loss

I think maybe we are the only team in the West with 100% control of their own destiny. If we win out we are the West Champs and don't need any help from anyone else.

If Iowa wins out they need Purdue to lose a game.
If Purdue wins out they need us to lose a game

In looking at it though, if Wisconsin wins out I am pretty sure they would win the division as they would give MN, IA, and PUR their second conference losses and would have the head to head against all 3 teams as well. So who knows. Still too far out to run any real scenarios because there are way too many variables that could come into play.

Wisconsin controls their destiny. They can still beat MN, Iowa and Purdue

Another reason to follow the score in the Wisconsin at Purdue game this coming Saturday. Unfortunately, it has the same time slot as the Gopher game.

My perfect scenario: Minnesota wins out, while the only losses going forward for Iowa and Wisconsin would be to the Gophers.

How sweet would that be?

In some ways, best case for us would be Purdue knocking off Wisconsin this weekend.

So maybe it's MN, WI, and NW (until we beat MN and WI or they lose another).

I think maybe we are the only team in the West with 100% control of their own destiny. If we win out we are the West Champs and don't need any help from anyone else.

If Iowa wins out they need Purdue to lose a game.
If Purdue wins out they need us to lose a game

In looking at it though, if Wisconsin wins out I am pretty sure they would win the division as they would give MN, IA, and PUR their second conference losses and would have the head to head against all 3 teams as well. So who knows. Still too far out to run any real scenarios because there are way too many variables that could come into play.

If more than two teams tie, the tiebreakers can get really weird.

If we win out, we win the West. No help needed. That much is true.

So maybe it's MN, WI, and NW (until we beat MN and WI or they lose another).
Here is the B1G tie breakers for the division.

1. If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
  2. If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 8 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step (or sub-step), the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative. If three or more teams remain tied after any step, move to next step in tiebreaker with remaining tied teams.
1. The records of the three (or more) tied teams will be compared based on winning percentage in games between the tied teams.
(a) Example: East 1 is 2-0 in games between the tied teams with wins over East 2 and 3 - East 1 would be the representative.
2. The records of the three (or more) tied teams will be compared based on winning percentage within their division.
3. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, 6, and 7).
(a) When arriving at a group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the collective tied teams as a group, rather than record against the individual teams.
4. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared based on winning percentage against all common conference opponents.
5. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared based on the best cumulative conference winning percentage of non-divisional opponents.
(a) Example: East 1 non-divisional opponents are 20-7, East 2 non-divisional opponents are 19-8, East 3 non-divisional opponents are 14-13 – East 1 would be the representative.
6. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared against the highest placed non-divisional teams in their division order of finish (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7).
(a) When arriving at a group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the collective tied teams as a group, rather than record against the individual teams.
(b) When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the record will prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e. 1-0 is better than 0-0, 2-0 is better than 1-0, etc.)
7. The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative.
8. The representative will be chosen by random draw.

Last edited:

Another reason to follow the score in the Wisconsin at Purdue game this coming Saturday. Unfortunately, it has the same time slot as the Gopher game.

My perfect scenario: Minnesota wins out, while the only losses going forward for Iowa and Wisconsin would be to the Gophers.

How sweet would that be?
I’d rather have IA and WI lose all their remaining games (including the game they play each other, the first ever double loss).

I’d rather have IA and WI lose all their remaining games (including the game they play each other, the first ever double loss).

Not me. I want to beat them both when they're sky-high. Take 'em down from a tall perch.

Not me. I want to beat them both when they're sky-high. Take 'em down from a tall perch.
By the time we play WI, I think it will be hard for that game to matter for both teams, (other than one playing spoiler).

The MN-IA game could be the Big Ten West game of the season (or it was this last week with Purdue / Iowa should Purdue win out and we falter.

Any team in the MN, Purdue, IA, WI group that wins out will win the West. If MN/Purdue tie, MN wins. If Purdue and Iowa tie, it's Purdue. I think MN has the best schedule to make it happen, but every week upsets can happen. Purdue still plays OSU and MSU.

Need Purdue to win this weekend at Wisconsin and end their chances.

If Wisconsin wins out they can be tied with Purdue and Minnesota / Iowa. They would hold the tie breakers over these teams based on record between the tied teams.

The same scenario holds true for jNW. So WI, NW and MN all control their destinies.

Any team in the MN, Purdue, IA, WI groupr that wins out will win the West. If MN/Purdue tie, MN wins. If Purdue and Iowa tie, it's Purdue. I think MN has the best schedule to make it happen, but every week upsets can happen. Purdue still plays OSU and MSU.

Iowa only controls its destiny with a Purdue loss. If Iowa and Purdue win out Purdue wins the division. The same for Purdue but they need a MN loss.

see ya'll in Indy
I'm still debating whether I want an OSU rematch or want Michigan to win out for a chance at the Jug...I know they said stuff about not having the Jug at a conference Championship but I just don't see how you couldn't...

I'm still debating whether I want an OSU rematch or want Michigan to win out for a chance at the Jug...I know they said stuff about not having the Jug at a conference Championship but I just don't see how you couldn't...
Who said that rivalry trophies aren't on the line at the B1G title game? Or are you referring to just the jug?

Definitely want Michigan to beat OSU

We've gotta find a way to stay dialed in (and healthy) to get these next 3 in which we will be favored in all of them. I hope it's straightforward, but I don't think it'll be that simple.

Any team in the MN, Purdue, IA, WI group that wins out will win the West. If MN/Purdue tie, MN wins. If Purdue and Iowa tie, it's Purdue. I think MN has the best schedule to make it happen, but every week upsets can happen. Purdue still plays OSU and MSU.

The bold part is not true in Purdue's case. Purdue could win out, and still finish second in the West. You pointed that out yourself in your second sentence.

Once again, repeat after me:

If Minnesota wins out, the Gophers win the West — no matter what Purdue or anyone else does.

MN was blessed with an easy schedule this year.
WI is very vulnerable and IA was beat by a team MN beat.
This maybe MN's best chance since 2019.

The bold part is not true in Purdue's case. Purdue could win out, and still finish second in the West. You pointed that out yourself in your second sentence.

Once again, repeat after me:

If Minnesota wins out, the Gophers win the West — no matter what Purdue or anyone else does.
Yes, if MN and Purdue win out they will be tied and MN wins. I'm assuming only 1 team in the west will be 8-1 at most. Purdue could be 2-5 in four weeks.

EDIT>>>>

Q: If Minnesota wins out, will they win the West?
A: Yes, without any help needed.

Q: If Wisconsin wins out, will they win the West?
A: Yes, without any help needed.

Q: If Purdue wins out, will they win the West?
A: Not necessarily. They would need Minnesota to lose at least once.

Q: If Iowa wins out, will they win the West?
A: Not necessarily. They would need Purdue to lose at least once.

Q: If Northwestern wins out, will they win the West?
A: Not necessarily. They could end up in a three-way tie for first, with complicated tie-breakers.

EDIT>>>>>>>>>>>> There. I think that's correct now.

Last edited:

Top Bottom