Minnesota-Ohio State men’s game from Jan. 30 the most-watched NCAA hockey game in Big Ten Network history

MisterGopher

Reaction score
On Saturday, Jan. 30, the Minnesota vs. Ohio State men’s hockey game delivered 164,810 viewers and became the most-watched men’s ice hockey game in Big Ten Network history.

It ranks No. 1 among nationally-rated college hockey broadcasts this season and posted the largest audience for a nationally rated regular season college hockey game since 2014.

I hope that this is an sign that in October, 2021 -Covid allowing- we will see a live sold out Gopher Hockey season. As a 40 year season ticket holder, it was hard to believe that I was at Gopher Hockey in an almost empty arena last year. It had to be hard for the players to be motivated playing in front of mostly empty seats. Perhaps it prepared them for this year. Thanks to the coach and players for providing exciting live games to watch this season. Go Gophers!

If they win the title, maybe. But just being realistic, and also as a season ticket holder, it's extremely doubtful. Yes the team is better and yes they lowered prices for 20-21 which will probably be the prices for 21-22. But non die-hards still don't care about the Big Ten, people realize it's fairly easy to find games on TV or streaming, and the Wild have a new superstar across town. 22-26 year olds that you would be hoping to grab to replace your aging STH base grew up caring about the Wild way more than the Gophers.

Add to that Covid and the fact no one knows how quickly people will want to go pack to packed atmospheres...

The Glory days of college hockey might be over. There won't be another era like those Final Five years when guys like Wheeler, Kessel, Vanek, Toews, Oshie, and so many more played in front of a sold out X.

I am hoping against hope that that your prediction of future Glory Days of Gopher Hockey might be over but deep down I have to admit that that thought has come to me too. I have to add Justin Hall’s goal in the Frozen 4 in Philadelphia against the Sioux when he scored short handed in a tie game with seconds left. We did not deserve that win but it was still a pleasure! While we did not win the final game against Union it was enough.

I am hoping against hope that that your prediction of future Glory Days of Gopher Hockey might be over but deep down I have to admit that that thought has come to me too.
It's not so much about the "Glory days of Gopher Hockey" being over. I think Motzko will have this program in a solid place for a long time.

What might be over is a full Mariucci week in and week out, every game on TV (just the way things are going towards streaming and not a knock on the program), and of course we already know the conference tournament will never be what it was in the Big Ten because the travel distances are way too far for the fanbases.

There is still a very loyal Gopher hockey fanbase. It's just really not all that big when you take a step back and look at it. I've even seen the student section became a shell of what it used to be even when I was on campus 10 years ago.

It's not so much about the "Glory days of Gopher Hockey" being over. I think Motzko will have this program in a solid place for a long time.

What might be over is a full Mariucci week in and week out, every game on TV (just the way things are going towards streaming and not a knock on the program), and of course we already know the conference tournament will never be what it was in the Big Ten because the travel distances are way too far for the fanbases.

There is still a very loyal Gopher hockey fanbase. It's just really not all that big when you take a step back and look at it. I've even seen the student section became a shell of what it used to be even when I was on campus 10 years ago.
Agreed - this Gophers program will be competitive more often than not, regardless of conference. But college hockey as a whole will probably never be as popular, probably for multiple reasons. The only place that really hasn't seen a drop in popularity/passion is in Grand Forks, as this is all they have. Even UMD and SCSU in their very successful past decade or so aren't generally filling the building unless the Gophers or Hawks are in town.

Top Bottom