Minnesota OC Kirk Ciarrocca: 'We know we have to improve throwing the football'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dustin:

Minnesota has become a team known for its ground-and-pound style of offense recently. A lot of that is attributed to the stellar offensive line play and the outstanding running back room that includes Mohamed Ibrahim and Trey Potts.

But the issues with the passing attack over the past two years are now a focal point for the Golden Gophers with Ciarrocca’s return. He says improving in that area is critical.

“We know that we have to improve throwing the football. I think everybody in the state of Minnesota knows that, and I think everybody in the B1G is hoping that we don’t improve in that area,” Ciarrocca said, per 247Sports. “But we know we must improve in that area of throwing the football.”

Go Gophers!!

There may be bumps in the road despite KC having coached here before. The plus side is that we still have players that are still with the team when he was here the first time. The Gophers also have an established stable system where players lead.

Every year is full of anticipations and expectations.

I have to admit, there were plenty of times I was frustrated with KC's offense or play calling in that 11 win season too. Losing to both Iowa and Wisconsin that year was disheartening. I know the numbers dont lie so I will give KC the benefit of the doubt, has to be better than last year for sure. I guess its fair to say that as a fan, I will always be frustrated from time to time. I want to see us blow out some of those nonconference teams rather than sitting on the edge of my seat through the final minutes of play.

I have to admit, there were plenty of times I was frustrated with KC's offense or play calling in that 11 win season too. Losing to both Iowa and Wisconsin that year was disheartening. I know the numbers dont lie so I will give KC the benefit of the doubt, has to be better than last year for sure. I guess its fair to say that as a fan, I will always be frustrated from time to time. I want to see us blow out some of those nonconference teams rather than sitting on the edge of my seat through the final minutes of play.
^100%

Killer instinct. Or as Mortal Kombat would say…finish him (them)

Reading the Des Moines Register, I see Iowa has hired , as special assistant to the big man, the QB coach from Wisconsin(2018-2020). Just what we need both programs ganging up on us.

per Dustin:

Minnesota has become a team known for its ground-and-pound style of offense recently. A lot of that is attributed to the stellar offensive line play and the outstanding running back room that includes Mohamed Ibrahim and Trey Potts.

But the issues with the passing attack over the past two years are now a focal point for the Golden Gophers with Ciarrocca’s return. He says improving in that area is critical.

“We know that we have to improve throwing the football. I think everybody in the state of Minnesota knows that, and I think everybody in the B1G is hoping that we don’t improve in that area,” Ciarrocca said, per 247Sports. “But we know we must improve in that area of throwing the football.”

Go Gophers!!

Sometimes having Captain Obvious rowing too is a good thing...

1649910861805.png

Reading the Des Moines Register, I see Iowa has hired , as special assistant to the big man, the QB coach from Wisconsin(2018-2020). Just what we need both programs ganging up on us.

Did Wisconsin have good QB play during those years? I must have missed it.
Yeah, I take this as good news for Gopher football!

Hopefully one of the first things corrected will be far fewer passes batted down.

Can Kirk turn off the auto lock on feature on Tanner?

Was going to post something similar.....but to answer your question.....you didn't miss it, those years were dominated by the great Hornibrook, Coan, and golden boy who they tried to replace this off season...Mertz.
Are you saying that was inferior product? Plato wants to know...

Are you saying that was inferior product? Plato wants to know...
Hornibrook and Coan were actually decent players, the funny part is the one they have treated the best has been far and away the worst of the bunch. Mertz has had one great game and been mostly garbage outside of that.

Hornibrook and Coan were actually decent players, the funny part is the one they have treated the best has been far and away the worst of the bunch. Mertz has had one great game and been mostly garbage outside of that.
Seems that at least one of them had to go elsewhere to prove it.

His throws into the turf last year were weird. I kept thinking he was hurt .. bad or something.

His throws into the turf last year were weird. I kept thinking he was hurt .. bad or something.
I have no doubt that as I type this Plato is down in his Badger Bunker typing a reply of some kind to remind us of our less than stellar QB play here through the years.

It is funny that Coan went to Notre Dame and had a great year while Mertz looked awful for the most part last season for Wisconsin. They were able to overcome it with their strong run game and great defense but Mertz has been very underwhelming in his time under center for them.

I always had a feeling Coan was going to be really good in their system. He likely did himself a favor by going to ND and finding actual talent to throw to on the outside. He did get to play with Jonathan Taylor at UW before he went pro I guess.

Hornibrook played a year at FSU and was garbage. Just like Mertz currently is.

After all the noise fades away, you need a guy that is smart and accurate. The day of the guy just standing in the pocket is over, they must have good foot work. Most of these programs are attempting to recruit a tall guy and believe they can teach him to throw, as you see it does not work out very often. The lower divisions like the valley, are more interested in a QB that can run, you do not need as much skill from the team and coaches to have a guy run left and right and throw a boot leg 3 times a game.

Last edited:

They had some key injuries at the worst possible time.

I feel like PJ and the coaches are going through a process addressing obvious gripes that gripy fans have.

Coaches have to do it.

But I'm not sure it makes those fans feel any better, they don't really pay much attention to quotes an those that are really sore about it ... will always be.

The idea that Kirk would want to throw the ball better than the past two years doesn't surprise me considering his offenses ... threw the ball better ;)

I wonder if we'll still more true RPO with Kirk back calling the plays. I feel like we didn't do as much of it the past two seasons.

Or maybe we were running it a lot and Morgan was just making a lot of bad decisions.

In the end, the head coach of the team still has the final say.

Please note - this is NOT a shot at Fleck. I am just stating the obvious:

Fleck is the head coach. Fleck likes ball-control football with a strong run game. That is not going to change. The Gophers are not going to come out and throw the ball 50 times a game. Doesn't matter who the OC is.

Now - the OC can have an impact on game-planning, schemes and techniques.

I think/hope that, when the Gophers throw the ball this season, they will be more effective and more efficient. I think/hope that we will see a better version of Tanner Morgan.

But, the head coach still calls the shots. If there is a difference, it will be a minor difference - not a major difference in offensive philosophy.

That’s just part of starting a shorter QB.
Is that accurate -- I think it's on the quarterback to control that. I don't think Russell Wilson is someone who gets a ton batted down (could be wrong)

edit:

Top Bottom