Minnesota/Nebraska rivalry game

The execs and TV will try to play up Iowa as an artificial "rival", but there is almost no history there

??????

Nebraska and Iowa have played 42 times. How is that "almost no history?" We've only played against Nebraska nine more times than that and Iowa has played Nebraska much more recently.

Iowa and Nebby playing on Friday after Thanksgiving and it being a border battle will make that a big rivalry. Nothing artificial about it.

Nebraska has played Iowa 32 times, while they have played Minnesota 51.

I don't know if others have heard this, but I've heard that the Iowa-Nebraska game is being called "Farmaggedon" (sp?) by many. I think that's a classic one.

The Jug, Floyd and the slab of bacon came about quite organically. The axe and the :rolleyes: Victory Bell were contrived.

I'd rather let this thing play out a bit first. Who knows what legends may emerge. if the wisconsin game didn't already have a trophy, the Essenhaus Stein would have been perfect.

So, maybe someone will take a chair leg to the eye socket (I hereby present the winner of this game with the ChinaGopher Chair Leg), fornicate in front of a large group in a restroom (I hereby present the winner with the Lois Feldman golden snatch award), etc. and we'll have an appropriate name and/or trophy.:cool02:

Nebraska and Iowa have played each other 41 times.

Huh, that's amazing. I could only remember a small handful and didn't remember there ever was a regular series. There was a long time where I often forgot Iowa's program existed, until I started going to Gopher games late in undergrad. For most of my life Iowa was that lonesome hilly nothingness somewhere between Albert Lea and Omaha, and home of lowly Iowa State. :D

Interesting, I was going by this website:
http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/opp-opp.pl?start=1869&end=2010&team1=Nebraska&team2=Iowa

The site does have this disclaimer:
James' site contains only data for years when each team was considered 'major' (equivalent to today's I-A), and therefore will not necessarily yield true 'all-time' results.

So I guess Iowa wasn't considered a major until 1903.

Supposedly Nebraska asked to play Wisconsin every year so they could have a "Red" battle or something like that. Obviously that won't happen now that WI is in the other division. I would think IA and NE will end up with a trophy, regardless of records and times played. Unless something happens like forgetting the heads of their combines at the stadium, I don't see us having a trophy with them.

No way they would use a blood reference - "promotes violence"...

As much as the "Victory Bell" may not have the history or luster of Floyd, the Axe or the Jug, having seen the Gophers win it at Happy Valley was priceless!

So I guess Iowa wasn't considered a major until 1903.

That appears to be his logic, and it is terrible. When looking for all-time head-to-head records, I don't see what difference it makes as to the status of the opponents. It's not as though Minnesota's victories against NDSU, SDSU, etc. before they were D-I count for anything less in the standings.

Iowa joined the Western Conference (later Big Ten) in 1900, so that appears to be his arbitrary cut-off for "major" status for them. They didn't play Nebraska from 1900-1902, so the first game listed in the results is the 1903 tilt. The whole thing is stupid, as it shouldn't take this much deciphering to find simple information.

Interestingly, both websites have the same source (Chris Stassen), but CFDW uses it in a clearer and less-idiotic fashion.

That appears to be his logic, and it is terrible. When looking for all-time head-to-head records, I don't see what difference it makes as to the status of the opponents. It's not as though Minnesota's victories against NDSU, SDSU, etc. before they were D-I count for anything less in the standings.

Iowa joined the Western Conference (later Big Ten) in 1900, so that appears to be his arbitrary cut-off for "major" status for them. They didn't play Nebraska from 1900-1902, so the first game listed in the results is the 1903 tilt. The whole thing is stupid, as it shouldn't take this much deciphering to find simple information.

Interestingly, both websites have the same source (Chris Stassen), but CFDW uses it in a clearer and less-idiotic fashion.

I agree. I'll be using the CFDW site for this type of info from now on.

Supposedly Nebraska asked to play Wisconsin every year so they could have a "Red" battle or something like that. Obviously that won't happen now that WI is in the other division.

I remember it as being the other way around. That is, Wisconsin made a big deal out of playing Nebraska every year for their rivalry game on the last weekend of the season. It made me a little happier when Becky Barry and Bret didn't get what they lobbied so hard for.

I remember it as being the other way around. That is, Wisconsin made a big deal out of playing Nebraska every year for their rivalry game on the last weekend of the season. It made me a little happier when Becky Barry and Bret didn't get what they lobbied so hard for.

Exactly, it was Bielema who was campaigning to play Nebby as Bucky's rivalry game. Osborne shut him down on that hope.

I have been in Lincoln for nearly 30 years and believe me, the Minnesota game is chalked up as an easy win for several years in most Husker fans minds. How can you argue with them, given what they have done to us in the last 30 years and the Gophers level of success since 1960. I have no comeback when talking trash about college football. Most don't care what happen 50-60 years ago. Let the Gophers win a couple of times, then we can talk.

We have too many "trophy" games as it is.Let the rivalry develop before we through in another Trophy.

It would mean nothing to Nebraska at this time even though we hold a 29 to 20 edge on them.

After Coach Kill works his magic then lets discuss a trophy when the game will be meaningful to both teams. That's what generates a rivalry.

We are Indiana to Nebraska right now.

One of the major demands from Nebraska was that they be in the same division as Minnesota, because of the history. Granted we haven't played them much since the years when our program was a cupcake, but that will change and the fans will get on board.
Do you have a link or is this hearsay?

Supposedly Nebraska asked to play Wisconsin every year so they could have a "Red" battle or something like that.

I thought the BADgers wanted to play them as their rivalry game at the end of the year.

JFR, the BADger head coach is a tool. Just sayin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy2u
One of the major demands from Nebraska was that they be in the same division as Minnesota, because of the history. Granted we haven't played them much since the years when our program was a cupcake, but that will change and the fans will get on board.

I read it at the time when the B1G divisions were announced. Tried to find the links and this is the closest I could find:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...will-nebraska-establish-rivalries-with/page/4

"Minnesota has the most history with Nebraska with 51 meetings. Minnesota dominated the series until Nebraska reeled off 14 straight victories."

"Tom Osborne reportedly said that he wanted Nebraska to be in the same division as Iowa and Minnesota, which shows how much he thinks of the rivalry. While there is plenty of history and some great games, Minnesota's recent decline tarnishes the initial value of the rivalry."

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy2u

I read it at the time when the B1G divisions were announced. Tried to find the links and this is the closest I could find:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...will-nebraska-establish-rivalries-with/page/4

"Minnesota has the most history with Nebraska with 51 meetings. Minnesota dominated the series until Nebraska reeled off 14 straight victories."

"Tom Osborne reportedly said that he wanted Nebraska to be in the same division as Iowa and Minnesota, which shows how much he thinks of the rivalry. While there is plenty of history and some great games, Minnesota's recent decline tarnishes the initial value of the rivalry."

Cool!

I hope one day the Gophers crush the Corn Huskers!!

how bout we use Iowa as a trophy and the winning school gets Iowa as a test farm for the whole year.

Top Bottom