Minnesota/Nebraska Pre-game Thread

Didn't know this. Maybe they really DO need to get to the Gator Bowl.

If the Gophers win out, they could enter the mix for the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl or, just maybe, the Gator Bowl.

The Gator Bowl is played in Jacksonville, Fla. Tinsley's hometown.

"It would be awesome," Rallis said. "It'd be a great way to finish out where Gary’s from. Either way, though, we're going to be representing Gary wherever we go."

Didn't know this. Maybe they really DO need to get to the Gator Bowl.

If the Gophers win out, they could enter the mix for the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl or, just maybe, the Gator Bowl.

The Gator Bowl is played in Jacksonville, Fla. Tinsley's hometown.

"It would be awesome," Rallis said. "It'd be a great way to finish out where Gary’s from. Either way, though, we're going to be representing Gary wherever we go."

Wow, that would just be incredible. Here's hoping for two wins to get there...

BTN says...

Minnesota (6-4, 2-4) at Nebraska (8-2, 5-1) – 3:30 p.m. ET, BTN/BTN2Go

Tom’s pick: Nebraska, 41-14 – The Cornhuskers will hold serve in the Legends Division by dismantling an overmatched Gophers team that isn’t ready to stand toe-to-toe with a team like Nebraska. The Blackshirts will smother freshman quarterback Philip Nelson. Meanwhile, Taylor Martinez will flourish.

Brent’s pick: Nebraska, 38-10 – Taylor Martinez won’t need to worry about engineering a second-half rally in this one. No, Nebraska will jump ahead early and lead wire-to-wire en route to recording its easiest win since trouncing Idaho State, 73-7, in the final week of nonconference play.
http://btn.com/2012/11/14/week-12-we-predict-all-six-big-ten-games/

Beating Nebraska Saturday would be the Gophers' first win over an opponent who finished with a winning conference record since 2005 (Michigan, finished 5-3 that year).

Also, if Minnesota wins Saturday it would potentially be the first time since 1994 (Wisconsin) that Minnesota has beaten a team that finished top 3 in the conference (this one obviously would still have to play out but it's looking pretty good that, even with a loss, Nebraska would finish top 3 along with Ohio State and Michigan).

Beating Nebraska Saturday would be the Gophers' first win over an opponent who finished with a winning conference record since 2005 (Michigan, finished 5-3 that year).

Also, if Minnesota wins Saturday it would potentially be the first time since 1994 (Wisconsin) that Minnesota has beaten a team that finished top 3 in the conference (this one obviously would still have to play out but it's looking pretty good that, even with a loss, Nebraska would finish top 3 along with Ohio State and Michigan).

@Northwestern in 2009 doesn't count?

STrib: U assistant to leave booth, monitor QB from sideline

"I'd like to have Jimmy in the box, but having a young quarterback, you don't want to get too many people talking to the kid," Kill said. "I may say a couple of things to him, but I don't want him to get different communication" during games. So until Nelson gets more experience as the starter, Zebrowski is there to offer immediate feedback and advice the moment the teenage quarterback comes off the field.

"Jimmy's pretty good at molding young quarterbacks," Kill said.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&refer=y

Go Gophers!!

@Northwestern in 2009 doesn't count?

image.png

Beating Nebraska in Lincoln would be a program changer and a great recruiting tool. But the Huskers would have to play their worst game this year...and the Gophers would have to play their best in 7 years.

Big Ten predictions: Week 12

MINNESOTA at No. 14 NEBRASKA

Adam Rittenberg: Nebraska has had letdown games at home under Bo Pelini, and this would qualify following a grueling stretch against Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State. But the Huskers can taste a Big Ten title, and they'll respond well against a Gophers team that should play loose after getting bowl-eligible. Minnesota jumps ahead behind a Donnell Kirkwood touchdown run, but the Huskers are once again too much in the second half as RB Ameer Abdullah and QB Taylor Martinez combine for 225 rush yards and four touchdowns. ... Nebraska 33, Minnesota 20

Brian Bennett: Here's the biggest upset pick of the week -- Nebraska won't need a second-half comeback. The Legends Division title is too close now for the Huskers to mess up, and they will overwhelm the Gophers on senior day. Martinez and Abdullah both eclipse 100 yards on the ground, and Rex Burkhead gets a ceremonial carry in his final game at Memorial Stadium. ... Nebraska 37, Minnesota 16

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/65231/big-ten-predictions-week-12-2

If I were a Nebraska fan, I'd be nervous about this one, honestly. This has all the makings of being one of those letdown home games Nebraska has had over the years. You'd think with a conference title on the line, that wouldn't be a problem, but you know how it is when you're younger. But I'm a Minnesota fan, so not being concerned with that. I just hope we go out there and compete and make them sweat in the stands, get 'em a little nervous.

Marcus tweet: The #Gophers have lost their last six games against Nebraska in Lincoln by a combined score of 239-14. Last game there for MN was 1990.

Go Gophers!!

"You don't want the guys that worked their tail ends off all week long (to lose because) the head coach goes and makes a crazy decision," Kill said

I have a joke here related to the Michigan game, but I think I'll let it go haha

Probably wise. Plus on a technical note that call didn't lose us the game, might not have done much to help us win but it certainly wasn't the overall reason we lost.

"You don't want the guys that worked their tail ends off all week long (to lose because) the head coach goes and makes a crazy decision," Kill said

I have a joke here related to the Michigan game, but I think I'll let it go haha

Are you talking about the 23 point field goal that we should have taken?

Probably wise. Plus on a technical note that call didn't lose us the game, might not have done much to help us win but it certainly wasn't the overall reason we lost.

Nah, definitely didn't, just made me chuckle a little bit lol. I like that they have that foresight though, I don't think that's a given that a staff goes to that level of detail in their preparation.

I'll say this, Nebraska is not a great team this year. Good, not great. We should win this game by 20 points or so, but I would not be shocked with a narrow win. I would be surprised, not shocked if we lose. Losing Rex has hurt a lot, and our defense is not as good as it has been. I think we will be ready to play, but there is usually a game a year we lose that we shouldn't, and this could be it.

per Sid:

Big break for Gophers

Getting in a bowl game this year will make the Gophers football team much better, and with Wisconsin and Nebraska coming to TCF Bank Stadium next year, it will put Minnesota in a better position to compete with those powerful teams.

"Getting into the bowl game, the biggest thing is it allows us to take all those redshirt freshman that we have and get extra practice opportunities," Gophers coach Jerry Kill said. "That puts us, according to which bowl and which situation you go to, you get 15 more extra practices plus spring ball. That's 30 practices that you're going to get with your kids.

"Being a young team and not an older team [only eight seniors are playing this season], we'll have a tremendous amount of kids back. From a standpoint of getting your program better, it's a great opportunity."

In my opinion, Kill and his coaching staff have done a great job this year considering the number of injuries they have had, especially on offense.

It all started with the ankle injury to senior MarQueis Gray. My prediction before the season was that if Gray got injured, they wouldn't win a game without him at quarterback and they could potentially win six if he played all year.

Well, he got hurt in the Western Michigan game and the Gophers have won two conference games against Purdue and Illinois with freshman quarterback Philip Nelson starting and Gray moving to receiver.

Then you have the ankle injuries to centers Jon Christenson and Zach Mottla. Kill said that in 30 years of coaching, he has not had three centers play in a single game like he did last week against Illinois.

"Not even in high school coaching have I ever been put in that situation," Kill said. "Luckily we snapped Zac Epping early in the year due to injuries, and that's a unique situation. It's a concern for us where we go from here.

"You can't go to war with one center. I don't know, we have a big challenge this week. That tells you a little bit about the job that coach [Matt] Limegrover did against Illinois from an offensive line standpoint. To have all the injuries we've had, our two leading receivers out, playing a true freshman quarterback, it's not an easy thing. I give all the credit to those kids and their effort and kind of the next-man-up mentality. I can't say enough about the kids that played in the game and the coaches that we have that hung in there."

Fortunately the Gophers will get some of their offensive players back yet this year, but there is still some question about who will play center.

Nebraska will pose a real physical challenge this week. They are a 20-point favorite over the Gophers in Lincoln, but if Minnesota can come out of the game without any more injuries, they would have a chance to beat Michigan State in the team's final home game and improve their bowl invitation.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/179597071.html

Go Gophers!!

No idea. That one really hurts. He's done the best job of staying low and really disrupting the line and giving Sheed a nice break.

Pretty sure he has been questionable the past few weeks but managed to play through it. Maybe it became too much but I was glad he was able to fight through it.

Top Bottom