Minnesota @ Nebraska 2022 - Media Predictions

IceBoxGopher

Reaction score
Sports Chat Place has Minnesota coming away with a victory (-16.5)
I get the case to be made for a home underdog in some spots, and Minnesota hasn’t necessarily looked like a team that should be laying this many points. However, the Cornhuskers simply aren’t built to stop a team like Minnesota with a porous defense at every level and one that has had a hard time stopping anyone this season.

Minnesota still has a top-5 scoring defense and is 6th against the pass and 7th in total defense as well and I think they find a way to rout this disappointing Nebraska team at home. Give me the Golden Gophers in a beatdown.

Cappers Picks has Minnesota winning 20-10
There aren’t going to be many points scored in this game. The Gophers are going to keep the ball on the ground and Nebraska’s offense is coming off a game where they really struggled to score. I don’t see either team scoring more than 20 points here, and that means the under is going to cash.

OddShark has Minnesota earning a 33-19 win
Minnesota will win, Nebraska will cover, and the total will go over.

Closer prediction at the Daily Gopher, expecting a 23-16 win
The Gophers have won three straight over the Huskers and are 6-3 against Nebraska in their last nine contests. Only two of those wins have come in Lincoln and both were one-score games. The atmosphere at Memorial Stadium is always tough, regardless of the quality of the Huskers team taking the field.

If Thompson is able to play, I think this game is a coin flip. With his status uncertain, I’ll give the edge to the Gophers, even though I’m wary of a game where their offensive line really needs to set the tone up front.

Why do I keep thinking the spread is WAY WAY to high?
Spread has grown since the game went live as well so gambling crowd seems to have faith in us covering. I agree that it feels large....that said, the 5 games we have played so far against mediocre to bad teams have all been routes. And Nebraska very much fits into that same category. So who knows.

I think the gophers are much better than bad teams and 5 wins have shown that. I don’t think Nebraska is better than MSU or Rutgers.

Because you have watched the gophers more than you’ve watched Nebraska
I feel like it’s high too. But I haven’t watched an entire Nebraska game in a while and I remember they gave up
540 to northwestern
640 to Georgia southern
580 to Oklahoma
350 to Rutgers
610 to Purdue
370 to Illinois

Basically everyone except for North Dakota (FCS) and Indiana had their best offensive game of the year against them.
If their QB doesn’t play I would pick the gophers to cover: since I don’t trust be won’t play I won’t bet the game. But the gophers will score 20+ and only one team has scored more than 26 on the gophers.

If O’Connell and DeVito injury situations are a guide, Thompson will start and have a good game. But we still should win if Mo and our running backs are at full strength, and Jackson and BSF get some chances in the early going.

Athlon Sports has Minnesota winning 31-15
Nebraska faces a situation similar to last week against Illinois. Like Tommy DeVito, Morgan should be able to both operate an effective passing attack and pose a threat with his feet. Minnesota can lean on their offense to grind the clock, pound away with Ibrahim, and wait for the dam to break.

The Huskers now have an offense in dire need of new leadership should Thompson need to sit. If Purdy or Smothers can provide a spark and give their defense some rest, Nebraska has a legit shot to score another win or two.

Unfortunately for Joseph, the Gophers won't give his team enough chances for this to be one of them.

Picks and Parlays has Minnesota winning 30-17
Minnesota is a 12.5-point favorite against Nebraska, even on the road. If Thompson is unable to play, that number will likely climb as the Cornhuskers had just 34 yards of total offense after he left the game. Nebraska reported he is day-to-day with numbness in his fingers caused by a hit to his elbow. The Gophers win either way.

Our good friend from Corn Nation with his analysis and prediction.

Near the end of the video, he talks about last season's game in Minnesota, and how his profanity-laced video from the sidelines after the game went viral.

Good stuff...

one odd thing about the season - margin of victory

In the 5 wins, margin of victory: 38, 52, 42, 27, 31 (avg 38.0)

in the 3 losses: 10, 12, 28 (avg 16.7)

No games decided by fewer than 10 points.

you can see why MN can be a hard team to predict.

College Football News:

Is Casey Thompson okay? The Nebraska quarterback has an arm injury, Chubba Purdy had to step in against Illinois and is hurt, and there’s a shot Logan Smothers has to play a role. No matter what, getting the running game going and doing anything to control the clock.

It won’t happen.

Minnesota is the best team in America at converting third down chances, it’s second-best in third down stops, and the team will always seem like it’s on the field.

Expert Picks College Week 10 | NFL Week 9

Minnesota vs Nebraska Prediction, Line

Minnesota 30, Nebraska 13

The Star Tribune is picking Minnesota, 24-16
Under interim coach Mickey Joseph, the Huskers are playing much better and more organized than they were with Scott Frost in charge. They've shown they can score points, but stopping the opponent has been an issue. The Huskers certainly will try to at least limit Ibrahim and force Tanner Morgan and the Gophers passing attack to beat them.

Expect Ibrahim, a workhorse with 36 carries against Rutgers, to get the ball a lot again, but coach P.J. Fleck and offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca will want more of a passing presence. Jackson has been progressing this season, and he's due for a breakout game.

My expectation: Behind Ibrahim and a rejuvenated defense, the Gophers find a way to win their second consecutive game and gain some traction heading down the stretch. The oddsmakers have Minnesota as a 16-point favorite, but that seems too much.

The Pioneer Press has Minnesota winning 27-17
MIN Off Vs. NEB Def: The Cornhuskers are outside the top 100 in the nation in scoring, total yards, rushing and passing yards allowed. They. Are. Vulnerable. Ciarrocca noted that Nebraska’s 3-4 front has given Minnesota headaches in the past, but they are without captain inside linebacker Nick Henrich. EDGE: MIN

MIN Def Vs. NEB Off:
The availability of QB Casey Thompson, a Texas transfer, is in doubt after the left that game with numbness in his throwing hand. Chubba Purdy and Logan Smothers filled in, but there is considered to be a falloff with the backups. The U continues to search for interior pass rush, but edge rushers Jah Joyner and Danny Striggow could have success on Nebraska’s suspect play at tackle. EDGE: MIN

Prediction: Nearly every week, the Gophers have faced uncertainty about who the opposing quarterback will be. Sometimes, they haven’t faced the backup (losses to Purdue, Illinois and Penn State), but if Thompson can’t play, Nebraska won’t be able to score enough to match what their leaky defense often gives up.

Gopher Illustrated (247 Sports) has Minnesota winning 27-17
I'm surprised the Vegas line in this game has the Gophers as two-touchdown road favorites. I know that when the Gophers have won this season, it's been by, on average, 38 (!!) points.

Seriously. Their lowest margin of victory this season thus far is 27 points, which was their lone road win against Michigan State. But to say that what we've seen over the last month from the Gopher offense, in particular, has left anyone inspired wouldn't be true.

I'm also going to be curious how significant the weather factor is on Saturday, as the forecast has a 50% chance of rain for most of this game, so if it dampens out there, I wonder if both teams lean even more into their ground games.

But I really just don't have a lot of enthusiasm in the Huskers here, as if they are without Casey Thompson; it's a drop-off to Chubba Purdy. And I also need more faith that the Husker defense can contain the Gopher rushing offense for a full 60 minutes. It's close, but Minnesota becomes bowl-eligible in Lincoln.

Top Bottom