Minnesota legend Bob Stein’s College Football Hall of Fame Surprise

DanielHouse

Reaction score
by: Daniel House (@DanielHouseNFL)

The biggest surprises often come in the smallest packages.

Cameras were rolling as Gophers legend Bob Stein spoke with the National Football Foundation’s interview crew. Stein was set to be featured in the foundation’s ‘Football Matters’ series. Steven Hatchell, the President and CEO of the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame, joined Stein in the room.

During the interview, Stein was asked by the crew, “how do you feel about the guys that are in the Hall of Fame?” While responding to the question, the Gophers’ star was abruptly interrupted. A special FedEx delivery had arrived.

“The FedEx delivery guy walks in and hands me a box that I figured was some kind of trinket to say thank you for doing the interview,” Stein said.

Stein ripped open the cardboard and found a life-changing present inside. He rolled over a painted football and immediately froze. Stein couldn’t believe what he was reading.

“I opened it up and it was a football with a painted panel that says, ‘Bob Stein: 2020 Class, College Football Hall of Fame,” he said. “I about fell down. I was completely caught by surprise and stunned. There are a lot of things more important than sports, but for me, the enormity of that kind of recognition was unbelievable.”

After hearing the exciting news, Stein instantly thought about all of his past teammates, coaches and friends. The former two-time All-American defensive end knows this achievement wouldn’t be possible without key people in his life.

“Frankly, I’m stunned. I couldn’t be more appreciative and it’s one of those things you do with a lot of people’s help,” Stein said. “Butch Nash, my college position coach. Murray Warmath was our head coach. All of the great teammates I had at Minnesota. The family, friends - it’s a time to be grateful for all of them,” he said. “I had all kinds of friends support me in the application for it.”

The Hall of Fame honor is extremely rare and places Stein among football’s all-time greats. Overall, only 0.02% of college football players and coaches are inducted into the Hall of Fame. Stein played for the Gophers from 1966-68 and will become the 21st University of Minnesota player or coach to enter the College Football Hall of Fame. Even Stein is still trying to process the magnitude of this moment.

“There are guys like Willie Lanier and Bobby Bell, who are on the NFL 100 All-Time team. I think to myself, ‘wait a minute, I’m in the same group as Knute Rockne and Jim Thorpe. They are going to try to withdraw,” Stein joked. “I look at the class that I’m going in with, a two-time SWC Most Valuable player in Eric Dickerson. These guys are all-timers and I kind of look around and say, ‘what I’m doing here?’ I’m thrilled.”

It All Started at Memorial Stadium

Stein’s love for college football first blossomed on a crisp fall afternoon at Memorial Stadium. Sunshine radiated across the campus as Minnesota’s band marched down University Avenue. Stein, a teenage fan, watched in awe as Gopher football legends Carl Eller, Bobby Bell and Sandy Stephens battled on the gridiron. The physicality and intensity of a Big Ten game instantly caught his attention.

“During the game against Purdue, I think there were about a half-a-dozen guys carried off the field. I remember sitting there with my dad and thinking, ‘wow, it doesn’t get better than this,’” he said.

The exuberant atmosphere of on-campus football brought maroon and gold fans together each week. During the program’s two Rose Bowl appearances in 1961 and 1962, interest exploded to another level. Stein witnessed the entire state of Minnesota connect with the university’s football program.

“At that time in the early ‘60s, [the Gophers were the] game in town. The Vikings had just started play in 1961, but Gopher football was far bigger than the [Vikings] were. It was an honor [to play here],” he said. “I almost went someplace else, but ultimately, I felt it was important to stay here and have my family be able to see me play. I’m glad I did.”

The entire feature is filled with history, including a cool Vince Lombardi-Gophers story. Click here: https://www.nffmn.org/news_article/show/1094693

Also, check out the video surprise below:

Last edited:

Absolutely awesome. Congratulations Bob!!!

Awesome honor! Have never met him, but have heard that he is a heck of a person. Wouldn't Eric Dickerson have been a two time SWC MVP?

I'm going to buy a beer stein and I'll name it "Bob" in honor.

1584030130318.png

I'm going to buy a beer stein and I'll name it "Bob" in honor.

View attachment 7268
...and then I am going to steal it so you can put a curse on all Bob Stein fans until it is returned. Or, for some unknown, bizarre reason maybe you can just make up a lengthy, detailed story that it was stolen.
I dunno...whatever.

...and then I am going to steal it so you can put a curse on all Bob Stein fans until it is returned. Or, for some unknown, bizarre reason maybe you can just make up a lengthy, detailed story that it was stolen.
I dunno...whatever.

Then we can make a "Bob Newhart" type game, that every time someone says "Bob", whoever has it takes a drink. Wait, did I just reference my age?

Random story:
When I was young, I came home from school and there were two gentlemen at our kitchen table in Central MN talking with my dad. I have ZERO idea how it ever came to be, but turned out it was Bob Stein and former T-Wolves strength and conditioning coach Sol Brandys - and they were asking (and receiving) permission to go turkey hunting (I believe it was turkey) on our land. I had never heard of Bob Stein, but he had his Super Bowl ring with and let me try it on (it was absolutely enormous) and now all these years later, I always get a chuckle out of the fact a Timberwolves executive, Super Bowl champ, and now College Football HOF member sitting at our kitchen table having a casual conversation with my dad.

Random story:
When I was young, I came home from school and there were two gentlemen at our kitchen table in Central MN talking with my dad. I have ZERO idea how it ever came to be, but turned out it was Bob Stein and former T-Wolves strength and conditioning coach Sol Brandys - and they were asking (and receiving) permission to go turkey hunting (I believe it was turkey) on our land. I had never heard of Bob Stein, but he had his Super Bowl ring with and let me try it on (it was absolutely enormous) and now all these years later, I always get a chuckle out of the fact a Timberwolves executive, Super Bowl champ, and now College Football HOF member sitting at our kitchen table having a casual conversation with my dad.

Cool story. One question though. Was he wearing FULL BANANA?

Random story:

Good stuff.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom