Minnesota kids you really enjoyed watching

Sam Jacobson. Saw him do some amazing things in one particular game against Tartan HS. Basically an alley-oop to himself off the backboard. He was a beast.

Jake Sullivan dominated St Paul and the eastern and southern suburbs. I remember bragging him up to my uncle and then when we finally saw him together, he had trouble with whichever inner city team they were playing and their quickness. He turned into a pretty good college player even with very limited lateral quickness and athleticism.
Sullivan was as good as it gets for Minnesota High School shooters. Very competitive and could find his shots no matter the competition. Great High School player.

Alan Anderson DeLaSalle. Alley oop dunk off of an inbounds pass against Redwood Valley.

Sullivan was as good as it gets for Minnesota High School shooters. Very competitive and could find his shots no matter the competition. Great High School player.
He was a stud in college too. One of the better MN players to come out in the past 30 years for sure. I's assuming Monson could not convince him to come here with all the issues at the time?

Will Tchetter. As a Michigan fan, I'm hopeful the new coaching staff can help him develop his defense. He was a good 3 pt shooter out of high school. Last year he was over 50% in 3 pt shooting, but he was a liability on defense. I think Howard wanted him big to bang inside, but he was a step slow. The new coaching staff wants him quicker and he's already down to 230 lbs from the 250 he played at last year. I am glad he's staying with the team and look forward to watching him improve.

Edit: I should add that he took fewer than 2 3 pointers in fewer than 20 minutes per game.

Last edited:

Minnetonka with Shane Schilling, Ryan Keating, and Jake Kuppe.
My senior year my school, Hopkins and that Tonka Squad spent a lot of time flip flopping between #1. (Classic Lake was awesome that year!) IIRC we lost to Tonka in Section Finals at Hopkins.

Last edited:

Mark Johnson at Minnehaha, and his teammates Brett Watson and Peter Hamburge. Just so smooth and an unstoppable jumper.

My dad started taking me to some of their games when I was in 5th grade. I would pretend I was them while shooting on the hoop in the alley.

Old Big 9 guy, Mitch Ohnstad and Mike Restovich. Ohnstad scored close to 40 a game his senior year. Restovich was a great all around player and an absolute specimen.

He was a stud in college too. One of the better MN players to come out in the past 30 years for sure. I's assuming Monson could not convince him to come here with all the issues at the time?
Losing Sullivan was on Clem not Monson. Clem and his crew believed Jake was too slow for high major basketball and didn't recruit him. Monson knew he could shoot and made a last ditch effort to land him when he arrived from Spokane, but it was too late. This one isn't on Monson. Clem didn't always appreciate Minnesota guards.

I think he probably just had a bad game. That Tartan team was just genuinely good. A lot of those kids were pretty much inner city (East Side of Saint Paul).

I think that team lost one game that year and it was to Patrick Henry.
If you are referring to 2000 tartan, they got destroyed by the Carlson and patten boys of Litchfield by about 25.

If you are referring to 2000 tartan, they got destroyed by the Carlson and patten boys of Litchfield by about 25.
Funny you mention that Litchfield Carlson team. Our 1A team beat them in the sweet 16 tournament before the season. Litchfield went on to be undefeated and win the 2A title. Our team on the other hand, not so much.

That's not possible, the only ones who could slow down Sullivan were inner city kids. JK.

Yeah, I knew they lost to a team in a lower division, I guess it was Litchfield.

Some guys that didn't necessarily have outstanding college careers but were a ton of fun to watch in HS:

- Anthony Tucker
- Moses and Marcus Alipate
- Zach Lofton
- Sacar Anim
- Theo John
- Jericho Sims

Losing Sullivan was on Clem not Monson. Clem and his crew believed Jake was too slow for high major basketball and didn't recruit him. Monson knew he could shoot and made a last ditch effort to land him when he arrived from Spokane, but it was too late. This one isn't on Monson. Clem didn't always appreciate Minnesota guards.
Troy Bell

This goes back to the 70's - Kurt Knoff from E Grand Forks, had a couple of really good state tournaments in the 70's. He went on to play football at KS and later Vikings. He played about the same years as Olberding.

Kevin McHale, Mark Olberding and Mark Landsberger. Austin had a guy named Jim Riles who was the best I saw play for my home town.

Nice article on an Austin Packer legend. Thanks for posting!

Top Bottom