Minnesota is a Passing Game Away from Being a Contender

Iceland12

Reaction score
From ESPN:

4. Minnesota is a passing game away from being a real contender: The Gophers lost their last two games of the regular (Big Ten) season but earned respect for how they played against Wisconsin and Michigan State. The Badgers came away talking about how they needed to match Minnesota's physicality, which was something that hadn't been said in a long time. At Michigan State on Saturday, the Gophers became just the second team to rush for more than 100 yards against the Spartans this season, and they held an improving MSU offense to just two scoring drives. Yet Minnesota won't be a true Big Ten contender until it develops a passing game. Bad things tend to happen when the offense is forced to throw, like when Philip Nelson threw two interceptions (and should have had a third) or when Mitch Leidner was sacked for a fumble in the red zone on Saturday. The two quarterbacks combined for just nine completions in 25 attempts in East Lansing. Receiving targets Donovahn Jones, Drew Wolitarsky and Maxx Williams all have promising ability, but all are freshmen who are getting baptized by fire right now. If Minnesota can maintain its gains on defense and in the trenches while becoming competent in the passing game, it will be hard to handle next season

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

The entire offense should be better next year. The passing game should improve quite a bit, and the running game should be better as well as only Ed Olson is lost along the line, Berkley Edwards will be available, and hopefully Rodrick Williams is healthy and not in the doghouse. My concerns are the players lost on defense. We'll have some holes to fill at DT, LB, and CB. As long as the losses of Hageman, Hill, Vereen, and others doesn't hurt us too bad I think we'll be in the West division race. Tracy Claeys is also a factor, hopefully we hang onto him because he's an outstanding defensive coach.

The entire offense should be better next year. The passing game should improve quite a bit, and the running game should be better as well as only Ed Olson is lost along the line, Berkley Edwards will be available, and hopefully Rodrick Williams is healthy and not in the doghouse. My concerns are the players lost on defense. We'll have some holes to fill at DT, LB, and CB. As long as the losses of Hageman, Hill, Vereen, and others doesn't hurt us too bad I think we'll be in the West division race. Tracy Claeys is also a factor, hopefully we hang onto him because he's an outstanding defensive coach.

I think the more air time Tracy Claeys gets on TV the greater the chance he stays here as a coordinator, he simply does not LOOK like a head coach whatsoever. How many shots of him standing on the sideline motionless can be broadcast while announcers talk about how he is doing a remarkable job standing in as the head coach??? Kill was still the inspiration and direction, Claeys is a fantastic D coach and has proven that this year, but my fear of him leaving is almost next to nothing.

Top Bottom