Minnesota Illinois PJ Fleck Postgame Press Conference

60's Guy

Reaction score
Link to Page
Reporter Questions are in the transcript provided.
Link to Box Score Minnesota
Gophers had 38 yards passing and 3 interceptions - 6 of 18 combined
151 yards in returns by Redding
127 yards by Mo - No other RB carries in the game

Last edited:

I literally can't stop staring at 38 yards passing. Is this some kind of time warp?

From Bateman and Johnson to MBS and Dylan Wright. Matt Simon and PJ Fleck are WR gurus.

Very different demeanor for Coach after this one. Usually after a loss he's got a combative tone that the team just needs to work harder.

After this one he seems genuinely stumped and deflated.

Very different demeanor for Coach after this one. Usually after a loss he's got a combative tone that the team just needs to work harder.

After this one he seems genuinely stumped and deflated.
Actually thought this one one of the more honest post game press conferences you will get from a head coach following a loss. He flat out said the team needs to play better and gave lots of examples of areas where we have to improve. He seemed more angry than deflated to me.

the interview boils down to:

"We have to play better." a few specifics mentioned include "need to tackle better" and "need to catch the ball."

two ways to look at this
- on the one hand, you can't argue with anything Fleck said. it was accurate.
- but, on the other hand, Fleck and the coaches are responsible for preparing the team to play. Yes, the players have to execute, but the coaches need to provide the direction. and I'm sorry, but I did not see a lot of in-game adjustments.

so, along with We have to play better, I would add - the Coaches have to coach better.

We haven’t recruited the Wide receiver position well, since Johnson and Bateman. pJ is a Wide receiver coach, this will get better

We have OL issues but some decent talent. OL “should” play better, granted. But is there a subtly different scheme that would utilize better the talent we happen to have on the OL? Might a mobile QB present scheme options that allow us to utilize what talent we have on the OL? I don’t know. But that is a coaching issue, not just a player issue. When your coach’s answer is that the players must play better, he sounds like Scott Frost. One aspect of coaching better is to find the scheme that best fits your personnel. Still a long season to go.

We have OL issues but some decent talent. OL “should” play better, granted. But is there a subtly different scheme that would utilize better the talent we happen to have on the OL? Might a mobile QB present scheme options that allow us to utilize what talent we have on the OL? I don’t know. But that is a coaching issue, not just a player issue. When your coach’s answer is that the players must play better, he sounds like Scott Frost. One aspect of coaching better is to find the scheme that best fits your personnel. Still a long season to go.
A mobile QB is a game changer

I hope Coach Fleck can get the passing game turned around by the Penn State game.
I still believe the Gophers can do better the rest of the season.

I sure wish Brady Boyd was still wearing maroon and gold.
He has had 6 catches for 68 yards in an air raid offense so far this season. I don’t think he would have made a difference this year.

He has had 6 catches for 68 yards in an air raid offense so far this season. I don’t think he would have made a difference this year.
He has a lot more speed than any WR's getting playing time for us this season.

I sure wish Brady Boyd was still wearing maroon and gold.
You have to figure he's the new kid on the block, but from what I have seen from the Gophers
wide receivers this year, he probably could have helped some. Maybe the lack of production from the passing game is holding the WR's back. I know Brady enjoyed his time at Minnesota, but this system Fleck is running doesn't fit him. Basically, Brady was used as a decoy the whole season.
I hope the Gophers do well, for the remainder of the season.

You have to figure he's the new kid on the block, but from what I have seen from the Gophers
wide receivers this year, he probably could have helped some. Maybe the lack of production from the passing game is holding the WR's back. I know Brady enjoyed his time at Minnesota, but this system Fleck is running doesn't fit him. Basically, Brady was used as a decoy the whole season.
I hope the Gophers do well, for the remainder of the season.
I have nothing against Boyd and wished he would have stayed. I definitely think he can develop into a good WR. It would have been nice to have good depth and have him push MBS for snaps. I just don’t think he would have significantly moved the needle on the passing game THIS year, very few underclassmen do. Best of luck to him at Texas Tech, I bet he will be in line for more playing time in his junior and senior year as he continues to develop.

Actually thought this one one of the more honest post game press conferences you will get from a head coach following a loss. He flat out said the team needs to play better and gave lots of examples of areas where we have to improve. He seemed more angry than deflated to me.
At least he didn’t drive to Champaign and pay for a ticket! I’m deflated and angry…

Top Bottom