Minnesota High School NIL

Out State Gopher

Reaction score
Has anyone heard about this? Any student athletes or school districts doing NIL? Minnesota is just one of 33 states that allow high school NIL. Am I missing anything?

MINNESOTA

Governing Body
: Minnesota State High School League

State NIL Law: N/A

Governance: 2021-2022 MSHSL OFFICIAL HANDBOOK

Applicable Language: 201 Amateur Status, 204 Awards

Notes: In 2022, the MSHSL approved of policy to permit student-athletes to monetize their NIL. With prohibitions on vice industries and intellectual property belonging to the school, conference and league, more details on the full policy are printed in the official handbook at the end of the 200 series of bylaws.

So big time OL recruit from Wayzata sponsored by BWM of Minnetonka?
I can picture a kid pulling into the school parking lot in a new BMW 540i :eek:

3 student-athletes in football have had agreements since its inception. 1 of which did not receive what they agreed to that I’m aware of.

Has anyone heard about this? Any student athletes or school districts doing NIL? Minnesota is just one of 33 states that allow high school NIL. Am I missing anything?

MINNESOTA

Governing Body
: Minnesota State High School League

State NIL Law: N/A

Governance: 2021-2022 MSHSL OFFICIAL HANDBOOK

Applicable Language: 201 Amateur Status, 204 Awards

Notes: In 2022, the MSHSL approved of policy to permit student-athletes to monetize their NIL. With prohibitions on vice industries and intellectual property belonging to the school, conference and league, more details on the full policy are printed in the official handbook at the end of the 200 series of bylaws.

“1 of just 33” which is also known as the majority. Your posts are so freaking strange.

I’ve seen some HS kids in some of the Twin Cities Orthopedic commercials. I’m sure they got paid.

It says “Minnesota is just one of 33” to be exact. Still the majority.
Yeah but the meaning is completely different

“Just one of 33” is saying it’s pretty common

“One of just 33” is saying it isn’t that common

Yep. Jackson McAndrew from Wayzata (committted to Creighton) is or was on some TCO billboards.
Sorry, no personal offense meant to him in the slightest .... but this is so silly.

TCO really thinks that they're going to increase sales/interest in their services because ...... who??? from ...where??? went there?

BS.

It's some executive at TCO wanted to get his son/nephew/whatever a little paycheck, and was able to use this new cooked-up excuse to be able to legally do it.

That's what stinks to high heaven about this NIL crap. None of it has anything to do with bona fide advertisement/marketing, in the slightest.

I could certainly see someone keeping a hockey kid in high school with a NIL deal.

as I see this, it's a way for local businesses to show support for a star athlete and put a few bucks in his pocket. I really don't think these businesses believe they're going to generate additional sales or profit based on having a HS kid do ads. It's more of a 'feel-good' type of thing - similar to how a local business will support the local youth hockey program or serve as a sponsor for the town's Summer Celebration.

it shows that the business is part of the community and supports local school activities. at my local HS, they have a Video Board in the gym that was financed by contributions from local businesses.
I put HS NIL in that category.

as I see this, it's a way for local businesses to show support for a star athlete and put a few bucks in his pocket. I really don't think these businesses believe they're going to generate additional sales or profit based on having a HS kid do ads. It's more of a 'feel-good' type of thing - similar to how a local business will support the local youth hockey program or serve as a sponsor for the town's Summer Celebration.

it shows that the business is part of the community and supports local school activities. at my local HS, they have a Video Board in the gym that was financed by contributions from local businesses.
I put HS NIL in that category.
That is not NIL. Maybe a sponsorship of sorts that in which the school receives its revenue . NIL is individuals benefiting based on their personal Name Image and Likeness. They may not use the school’s Name, nickname or uniforms.

That is not NIL. Maybe a sponsorship of sorts that in which the school receives its revenue . NIL is individuals benefiting based on their personal Name Image and Likeness. They may not use the school’s Name, nickname or uniforms.

I understand that. What I am saying is that - if a local business is making an NIL deal with a HS player - they are likely doing it as a way of showing support for the player and by extension, the local school - not because they expect to get any return on investment. It's different than Rich Uncle Pennybags offering some kid a bag of cash to attend Directional State.

The NIL’s that have occurred in MN for football are from National marketing conglomerates. Earnings based on their exposure on social media. If you see a high school kid out of uniform promoting muscle milk, think NIL. Very few hs kids are recognized with their HS

Was Mr. McAndrew wearing a Wayzata uniform on the TCO billboard?

If so, then most of that money should go to Wayzata High School. Not a single person in the metro would recognize him other than parents/siblings of players on the team, and people who follow high school basketball closely. So that's probably well less than half a percent of the metro population.

His NIL has close to zero value, in of itself. Him in a regular shirt ..... Who is that??? OHHHhhhhhh, he must on the Wayzata basketball team, see he's wearing a Wayzata basketball uniform. Sure, OK.

If so, then most of that money should go to Wayzata High School. Not a single person in the metro would recognize him other than parents/siblings of players on the team, and people who follow high school basketball closely. So that's probably well less than half a percent of the metro population.

His NIL has close to zero value, in of itself. Him in a regular shirt ..... Who is that??? OHHHhhhhhh, he must on the Wayzata basketball team, see he's wearing a Wayzata basketball uniform. Sure, OK.
A couple of thoughts. He cannot be wearing a Wayzata uniform - the schools can't have anything to do with NIL. Last summer Nolan Winter and Jack Robison held a basketball camp in Lakeville "Nolan Winter/Jack Robison Basketball Camp" - this is the true intent of NIL either college or high school level. Nolan Winter obviously had graduated but Jack Robison is currently a senior and in the past would be ineligible for his senior year due to making money off of his amateur status. The flyer had all school logos on their uniforms photoshopped off.

Will Tschetter did something very similar in Stewartville a few years back.

No, he was wearing a plain blue and gold basketball jersey, which are Wayzata's colors, but nothing that identified him as a Wayzata athlete. The billboards didn't even have McAndrew's name on them (although some of the print ads did).

So big time OL recruit from Wayzata sponsored by BWM of Minnetonka?
I can picture a kid pulling into the school parking lot in a new BMW 540i :eek:
I mean, it is Wayzata, so he wouldn't be the only kid in a new Beemer. :)

Sorry, no personal offense meant to him in the slightest .... but this is so silly.

TCO really thinks that they're going to increase sales/interest in their services because ...... who??? from ...where??? went there?

BS.

It's some executive at TCO wanted to get his son/nephew/whatever a little paycheck, and was able to use this new cooked-up excuse to be able to legally do it.

That's what stinks to high heaven about this NIL crap. None of it has anything to do with bona fide advertisement/marketing, in the slightest.
I see what you are saying, but HS kids know who McAndrew is and TCO is a place that many athletes go for treatment and for injuries. These ads are mostly shown during MSHSL tournaments and give it a local connection that people watching can relate to it. People in HS and youth levels love to support local companies and businesses that support their programs. TCO advertises and a lot of HS arena as do other businesses. It more about supporting HS sports than the player himself.

Heck HS coaches tell you to always work through the trainers (TCO, TRIA etc.) for injuries and not go to your family doctor.

No, he was wearing a plain blue and gold basketball jersey, which are Wayzata's colors, but nothing that identified him as a Wayzata athlete. The billboards didn't even have McAndrew's name on them (although some of the print ads did).
OK.

So 99.9999% of the drivers who go by that billboard are like "Who TF is that guy???"

Confirming that this "advertising" is a farce, as almost all NIL deals are.

A couple of thoughts. He cannot be wearing a Wayzata uniform - the schools can't have anything to do with NIL. Last summer Nolan Winter and Jack Robison held a basketball camp in Lakeville "Nolan Winter/Jack Robison Basketball Camp" - this is the true intent of NIL either college or high school level. Nolan Winter obviously had graduated but Jack Robison is currently a senior and in the past would be ineligible for his senior year due to making money off of his amateur status. The flyer had all school logos on their uniforms photoshopped off.

Will Tschetter did something very similar in Stewartville a few years back.
Unless the individual doesn’t profit. Then it isn’t truly NIL

OK.

So 99.9999% of the drivers who go by that billboard are like "Who TF is that guy???"

They at least know it isn’t Nicolet Law because his obnoxious mug is everywhere. I wouldn’t use that guy because of his ads.

OK.

I don't necessarily dispute your general concerns about NIL deals, but I highly doubt that you know enough about this particular circumstance to call it a farce. First, what did he get paid? Do you know? I don't, but I would think you would want to know before you called the agreement into question.

Second, how widely were these ads circulated? You might be right that he's not a recognizable figure to most people in Blackduck or Pipestone, but I bet they didn't put a lot of these ads in those areas. The billboards I saw were all in the Plymouth/Wayzata area, one was on Highway 55 on the way to the high school. There were also print ads in "Plymouth Magazine" or whatever they call the free monthly that they send out and is filled with fluff articles and ads for orthodontists and real estate agents. McAndrew isn't Ant or KAT, but he's the highest rated boys basketball recruit Wayzata has ever had and he has played on two of the three state champions in school history. He is somewhat known to the general population in that area.

Third, and I think that this might be most important in evaluating the "legitimacy" of this arrangement, is that TCO just opened a brand new Urgent Care and Therapy Center in Plymouth. In fact, you can see it from the location of billboard on Highway 55. You know who a large part of their market is? Kids who play sports (and their parents) who live in the Plymouth area. You know who those kids (and their parents) recognize? Jackson McAndrew.

Unless the individual doesn’t profit. Then it isn’t truly NIL
True. In the cases I listed above I am sure the players were getting the majority of the $100 camp fee outside of costs to the district for gym rentals, etc.

I'm all about a local high school player putting on a camp if they have the ability to do so. Elementary kids idolize the high school kids.

Top Bottom