Minnesota High School Football Section Championship Matchups

There were no cuts at this grade level. They just keep adding teams to accomodate whoever tried out and they try to balance out the talent levels. So, yeah you do "put your kid in traveling" around here.

I know, I was surprised as well. When I was a kid, only a few made it.
Yeah pretty much anyone can play traveling. They may have 3 teams so everyone can play.

The clubs either own their own facilities, or partner with a facility. If the facility has more court/field time slots, then they want teams to fill those out = parents paying $$$ to put their kids on the teams.

Club sports are very much a $$$$$ thing.

Sure, your kid might not make the A team, but if you're willing to pay the $$$, they'll make a team for him/her to be on.
Beat me to it!

The clubs either own their own facilities, or partner with a facility. If the facility has more court/field time slots, then they want teams to fill those out = parents paying $$$ to put their kids on the teams.
I think there are a lot of clubs where they are doing it for the right reasons (opportunity for kids) but yes there are some that are doing it to maximize money. I know club volleyball is quite the money maker for some people....

We have eight house teams for fourth grade, and four travel teams. That's a lot of kids playing ball.
And that's a good thing. It's fun, and good exercise.

I think there are a lot of clubs where they are doing it for the right reasons (opportunity for kids) but yes there are some that are doing it to maximize money. I know club volleyball is quite the money maker for some people....
Yep. I think of volleyball when I think of club sports. But I'm sure similar situations exist in other sports.

AAU basketball is where the real racket is.

We have eight house teams for fourth grade, and four travel teams. That's a lot of kids playing ball.
And that's a good thing. It's fun, and good exercise.
Yep...I wish it was an option when I was younger. We only had one travel team and their were cuts. I would have been on the "B" team if there was one (for basketball). Unfortunately there was just one team so I was stuck playing house

And to be crystal clear: I don't think anyone is straight up ripping anyone off.

No matter how many teams an age/grade/whatever level has ... every one of those coaches is working hard to develop whatever kids they have, and win.

If your kid is getting playing time, improving their skills, making friends, and having fun .... then it's simply a matter of if you want to pay for that. No different than paying for a lot of things.

And to be crystal clear: I don't think anyone is straight up ripping anyone off.

No matter how many teams an age/grade/whatever level has ... every one of those coaches is working hard to develop whatever kids they have, and win.

If your kid is getting playing time, improving their skills, making friends, and having fun .... then it's simply a matter of if you want to pay for that. No different than paying for a lot of things.
Playing time is the big thing. I'd far rather my kid play house and actually get to play, even if it's at a lower level, than sit on the bench on a travel team. People talk about dumb parents paying tens of thousands for club sports because they think their kid will get a college scholarship, but the reality is, in one of the really large high schools, the odds of making the high school team is pretty small too.

Club sports are very much a $$$$$ thing.

Sure, your kid might not make the A team, but if you're willing to pay the $$$, they'll make a team for him/her to be on.
Fantasy. Who do you pay the money to? How much? Communities know how many traveling basketball teams there will be each year.. Nobody just creates additional teams so a few lesser skilled kids can have their parents brag they're on the traveling squad.

The thing that annoys me about basketball is the that In-House can be a better product than traveling in so many ways.

In-house is about $175 and traveling is about $350 +hotels and travel. Both practice about twice a weeks. Traveling gets more games, but do kids learn as much from games as practice?

Less travel and tournaments for in-house allowing for some family time on weekends.

It's often about that out of town tournament to drink with the other parents and nicer uniforms.

There were no cuts at this grade level. They just keep adding teams to accomodate whoever tried out and they try to balance out the talent levels. So, yeah you do "put your kid in traveling" around here.

I know, I was surprised as well. When I was a kid, only a few made it.
What grade level are you talking about? And what do you mean by traveling? What it actually means is you go around the state to play in invitational tournaments. You can't tell tourney organizers you have six teams in that grade and want to enter them all. You send the best team. That is the traveling team.

What grade level are you talking about? And what do you mean by traveling? What it actually means is you go around the state to play in invitational tournaments. You can't tell tourney organizers you have six teams in that grade and want to enter them all. You send the best team. That is the traveling team.
Fantasy. Who do you pay the money to? How much? Communities know how many traveling basketball teams there will be each year.. Nobody just creates additional teams so a few lesser skilled kids can have their parents brag they're on the traveling squad.

Fourth Grade, and I'm telling you this is absolutely the case. 100%. All the teams play in tournaments every weekend from now until Feb-March. As for the no-cuts and adding teams, that came straight from a guy I coached football with who has had three kids in the travel basketball program and has coached in it. He would know. It's this way through eighth grade.

Traveling / Club Soccer isn't really that expensive.
If you shop around and look at the number of contact hours you are getting, it's probably as cheap as any activity out there.

If you go to one of the "mega or for-profit" clubs, then you can pay 2x to 5x the amount and feel really special that your kid is in a high level program, and then still get the same level of coaching as you would at your local club.

If you have an elite level kid in soccer, I kind of feel sorry for you though because the US Soccer system is not ideal for player development yet. Lot of politics in play.

Traveling / Club Soccer isn't really that expensive.
If you shop around and look at the number of contact hours you are getting, it's probably as cheap as any activity out there.

If you go to one of the "mega or for-profit" clubs, then you can pay 2x to 5x the amount and feel really special that your kid is in a high level program, and then still get the same level of coaching as you would at your local club.

If you have an elite level kid in soccer, I kind of feel sorry for you though because the US Soccer system is not ideal for player development yet. Lot of politics in play.
Yeah - soccer's summer season (typically November through July) can vary from $700 - $2000 depending on the club. But that includes 2 days a week at a dome November through March, uniforms, tournaments, and the summer season. A lot of the price variation from soccer club to club depends on how many paid coaches they use vs volunteer and paid "directors" vs volunteer directors. A lot of your experience will depend on the coach. There are both good and bad paid coaches and volunteer coaches.

Compare that to volleyball that runs from November to June and that will cost over $4000 at one of the big clubs.

hey, I'm thinking about starting a thread to talk about the HS football playoffs. would anyone be interested in that......?
Couple days to come back to it.

Who you got winning the games?

Lakeville South
Mankato West
Hutchinson
Dassel-Cokato
Chatfield
Minneota (8 Shutouts on the year)
Leroy-Ostrander

What will the average margin of victory be?

talk about the HS football playoffs
Go ahead. Talk about it. People will skip over unrelated posts, and reply to your's. You can do the same, for their's.

Off-topic posts happen because there is nothing to talk about on topic.

Stop trying to control things you don't control. Worry about you

Go ahead. Talk about it. People will skip over unrelated posts, and reply to your's. You can do the same, for their's.

Off-topic posts happen because there is nothing to talk about on topic.

Stop trying to control things you don't control. Worry about you
The thread is titled "Minnesota High School Football Section Championship Matchups" and those have been over for 2 weeks now, probably watched by dozens who are on this forum, so whatever happens after that is fair game IMO.

More likely it was just a pithy sarcastic comment by SON, in whatever case got me to chuckle, so totally worth it in my book.

the reality is, in one of the really large high schools, the odds of making the high school team is pretty small too.
Yep!!!!

Hence why large high schools suck, for participation. And most of those large high schools are located in .............

Yep!!!!

Hence why large high schools suck, for participation. And most of those large high schools are located in .............
You might be surprised, but I don't disagree with your statement on participation. It is unfortunate. But that's not a reason to trash on wealthy suburbs.

As I said early in the thread, there were a lot of suburban districts that used to have two or three high schools and have closed one. Edina, Hopkins, Roseville, Bloomington, Robbinsdale, White Bear Lake. It costs a lot to run another high school.

Do I think Wayzata should have built another high school? Yes, 100% I do. But that's water under the bridge at this point. They didn't.

Do I think Wayzata should have built another high school? Yes, 100% I do. But that's water under the bridge at this point. They didn't.
All the more reason to avoid that district when purchasing a new home.

Kudos for Lakeville, and others, for getting it right.

All the more reason to avoid that district when purchasing a new home.

Kudos for Lakeville, and others, for getting it right.
If your main goal is for your kid to play high school sports, I guess. It's a very good district with very good academics. If I cared that much about my kid's athletic career, I'd have open enrolled him out in Orono (that high school is actually closer to my house anyway).

It's a very good district with very good academics.
Academics is going to be the same at any of these big suburban/exurban schools. Especially if your kid is gifted, they'll all have all the advanced placement opportunities and fine teachers.

If you don't care at all about extra-curricular opportunities and actually getting to participate on the teams(!), then it wouldn't matter.

Couple days to come back to it.

Who you got winning the games?

Lakeville South
Mankato West
Hutchinson
Dassel-Cokato
Chatfield
Minneota (8 Shutouts on the year)
Leroy-Ostrander

What will the average margin of victory be?
What will the impact be of Chatfield's QB not playing?

Booooo.

I know Minneota is a perennial contender. But Mayer was picked to lose basically every playoff game so far. And then went out and destroyed those teams.

I hope it's a competitive game.

Club teams are not traveling teams.

Top Bottom