Minnesota Head Basketball Coach Want List

Recruiting will be more important than ever before. The days of developing players is probably gone.

That can never be gone. Relatively speaking, if players don't get better, they get worse. Also, very few coaches can recruit and retain a team full of stars so you have to take some weaker players and coach them up to the point where they are adequate role players. This was something that Pitino could never do very well.

I'm sure he knows his basketball, but we have no clue if he can recruit.

Well, there was analogies made to Bo Ryan. He spent almost all of his career at the DIII level before going to Wisconsin. Also, there are a lot of good players from Canada these days.

Some of you need to get your name on record. I assume that a new winning coach will have everyone claiming they supported his hire. A coach that does worse than Pitino, Lord help us, and I assume everyone will be pointing fingers.

I can still remember the day that I was sitting at the Big Ten Tournament (I think in Indy) and reading GH on my phone. It was slow to download back then. I remember leaning over to my father in law and mentioning that someone said Tubby Smith was coming to MN long before it was announced. I still wish I knew who that was because that dude had some serious inside info.

I thought we were saved and the Haskins scandal/Monson years were finally over. Little did I know. Before you get too excited about the next John Wooden you better do a gut check. The next year or two is going to be pretty bumpy...
How could we have a coach that does worse?

Bobby Jackson? Assistant Coach for the Sacramento Kings. Would this resonate with Minnesota Basketball?
Sigh..... the same Bobby Jackson who had the academic advisor complete his coursework. I’m sure that would fly pretty well. I mean....

IMHO, the dumbest thing ever said on the internet is "it can't get any worse". IT CAN ALWAYS GET WORSE!

Pass. This is akin to hiring McHale or some other NBA guy. It would be a boom or bust hire and we know how that usually goes around here. I'm sure he knows his basketball, but we have no clue if he can recruit.

aside from recruiting well enough to win 90% of his games at the college level

Well, there was analogies made to Bo Ryan. He spent almost all of his career at the DIII level before going to Wisconsin. Also, there are a lot of good players from Canada these days.
Not a lot of guys go from DIII to D1 either. It could work brilliantly, it's just very likely it won't. He would have zero recruiting in roads in the US. It would seem if this was an obvious move, someone would have hired him already.

IMHO, the dumbest thing ever said on the internet is "it can't get any worse". IT CAN ALWAYS GET WORSE!
It wasn't meant to be literal, of course things could be worse and we could have a stripper-gate scandal similar to the older Pitino (although some would argue that would fine if the results where there) or a Sandusky scandal, but the point is we are 12th in the Big Ten.

I think one the dumbest things ever - not just limited to the internet - are people who take figures of speech to be literal.

When is hiring a new coach just remember there is going to be a new rule in college basketball. Free agency. Will u be able to keep elite players like Oturo and Carr or will the blue bloods snag them.

The elite players that have professional opportunities no longer stay in college long enough for that to really be a big issue. And with the end of the one-and-done rule, what makes you think there will still be blue bloods?

Need a coach who can recruit off other teams. Need a coach who can sell his own guys to stay.

Pitino has this ability?

The elite players that have professional opportunities no longer stay in college long enough for that to really be a big issue. And with the end of the one-and-done rule, what makes you think there will still be blue bloods?

Pitino has this ability?
I actually think that the Dukes and Kentucky's get stronger if they recruit more multiple year players. there will always be elite programs, 5-8 that have programs and coaches that recruits prefer over the rest. Everyone loves a winners brand. The non blue blood elites like MSU,UW,Nova,TT and UVA are really reaping benefits on the recruiting front with upgraded talent that fit.

I actually think that the Dukes and Kentucky's get stronger if they recruit more multiple year players. there will always be elite programs, 5-8 that have programs and coaches that recruits prefer over the rest. Everyone loves a winners brand. The non blue blood elites like MSU,UW,Nova,TT and UVA are really reaping benefits on the recruiting front with upgraded talent that fit.

They definitely will get stronger when they land guys like Oturo, Lamar Stevens great players on decent teams versus a top player like Hurt who u are not sure what your getting. And on flip side 2 programs that need to keep these guys just to have a chance no longer make the tournament. The gap just widens.

How is Ryan Sanders not getting more plsying time on this thread.

NBA experience - young - exciting offense.
Gopher legacy connections

Friends with PJ

Well connectted. Think of the cosching team he could put together. I do believe he would be a better college coach than NBA. Coyle dies not move on unless he has Ryan or someone like him in the bag.

Because he's a bad coach? Because he has never won? Because the chance of him recruiting worth a snuff are slim to none?

Hire a real coach. Not just a coaches kid who get the benefit of the doubt because of his dad. We are seeing right now how that works out. I have ZERO doubt in my mind that Coyle has no intentions of even giving him a look and with good reason. This guy will find someone and he will do well.

Sigh..... the same Bobby Jackson who had the academic advisor complete his coursework. I’m sure that would fly pretty well. I mean....

I don't want Jackson, but I don't care, nor should anyone else what happened. This is happening at every single powerful basketball program in the NCAA right now. Don't think for a second that those kids do their own homework.

Bobby J was a baller and a winner. Haven't had that here for years. That said, I am not sure if he can coach or not.

Because he's a bad coach? Because he has never won? Because the chance of him recruiting worth a snuff are slim to none?

Hire a real coach. Not just a coaches kid who get the benefit of the doubt because of his dad. We are seeing right now how that works out. I have ZERO doubt in my mind that Coyle has no intentions of even giving him a look and with good reason. This guy will find someone and he will do well.

Saunders name helped him, but he rose on his own merit and is very well thought of around the whole league. Same with Richard. This idea that they are spoiled coddled brats isn't fair to them either. Not their fault who their dads were.

Now that being said I think it's fair to discount Ryan because of his lack of college experience. I'd rather have someone who's had a little more experience myself as well.

Mark Few went to 3 Sweet Sixteens in his first 7 years as HC and finished 1st in the conference 6 of those years. Tell the bartender to call you a cab. Time to go home.

Dude, read between the lines, OR remain a dumbass brainwashed uneducated moron???

Top Bottom