Minnesota Head Basketball Coach Want List

Who is dave smart and why wouldnt it sit well given you say he is a proven winner?

Google Dave Smart. He is a Canadian college coach. His career record is 591-48.

Coach K is afraid of him: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...ns-during-canadian-exhibition-tour/999356002/

They blew out a Cincinnati team that went 28-7 in August of that year, which is why Coach K wouldn't play him. Dave Smart is a basketball guru, he has been hired by pro and college teams to consult. If he has any interest, he needs to be interview.

Can we sign Bruce Pearl?

All kidding aside:

Boehiem took a front office position with the Cavs to keep his money. He ain't coming.

Bobby Hurley would be interesting.
Ryan Saunders??? - kind of a dumpster fire with the T-Wolves, but who isn't.
Musselman? - just signed at Arkansas but I would be interested.
Craig Smith - seems a little out of his league in B1G. Might just be a repeat of Pitino with better credentials.

I guess the question would be, "Who can coach and recruit Minnesotans?" If we could get the local kids, we could make some progress. So who would that be?

Ken Novak - no college experience
Hoiberg - hmm, he seems set at Nebraska.
Ben Johnson - not going to happen and he couldn't do it as an asst.
Medved - see above

What if Coyle tried to pull a Whalen again and went with the Memphis/Vanderbilt approach

Kevin Garnett - he has said he would never coach
McHale - a little too old.
Khalid El-Amin - this is one where I wonder. Would he resonate with current kids? Is he still involved heavily with basketball? I'd think about it.
A former Gopher? Burrleson is an actual coach. I always thought the Hollins "not" brothers would be great coaches. Mbawkwe? Have any former Gophers gone into coaching?

I might swing for the fences with Khalid if I was Coyle.
khalid over craig smith.....joke of the century....

Coach K is afraid of him: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...ns-during-canadian-exhibition-tour/999356002/

They blew out a Cincinnati team that went 28-7 in August of that year, which is why Coach K wouldn't play him. Dave Smart is a basketball guru, he has been hired by pro and college teams to consult. If he has any interest, he needs to be interview.
Dang, this guy is an intriguing option. The whole thing is so Bo Ryan: multiple championships in an out-of-the-way league; veteran but not TOO old; nobody's ever knocked on his door (or have they?). This is the kind of out-of-the-box direction that a savvy and confident AD seriously considers.

Check this out:
In just this one article, he checks several of the boxes I bulleted in the "qualities" thread (e.g. analytics, innovation, connecting with people). I think I'm in love.

Last edited:

Dang, this guy is an intriguing option. The whole thing is so Bo Ryan: multiple championships in an out-of-the-way league; veteran but not TOO old; nobody's ever knocked on his door (or have they?). This is the kind of out-of-the-box direction that a savvy and confident AD seriously considers.

Check this out:
In just this one article, he checks several of the boxes I bulleted in the "qualities" thread (e.g. analytics, innovation, connecting with people). I think I'm in love.

Welcome aboard the Smart bandwagon. Happy to have you here!!

Happy to be aboard. Anything I can do to help? Cruise director? Bartender?

No one says no to having bartenders.

I am not saying Smart is the ONLY guy to hire. I do think he needs to be contacted. It would be a bold, confident move from an AD who has made some really great hires.

Has he been offered American coaching positions before? With an overall record like that, not sure why it would not sit well with fan base. I suppose a canadian coach would be somewhat unorthadox, but like you said, if he wins then no one cares. Has even expressed interest previously in coaching american college bball?

Has he been offered American coaching positions before? With an overall record like that, not sure why it would not sit well with fan base. I suppose a canadian coach would be somewhat unorthadox, but like you said, if he wins then no one cares. Has even expressed interest previously in coaching american college bball?
I have to think that if he is interested in coaching here (United States), he would've been already. I do love these threads and some of the people we actually think and bring up.

Hire Dave Smart. He wins and wins and wins. Produced a ton of pros, sells recruits on going to a difficult place and his highly regarded in the profession. Young enough for be here for a while.

I brought him up last year on here. I really believe he could win a lot of games here. Currently POBO but coached through the 18-19 season.
Pass. This is akin to hiring McHale or some other NBA guy. It would be a boom or bust hire and we know how that usually goes around here. I'm sure he knows his basketball, but we have no clue if he can recruit.

1. Previous success at building a program(s), similar to MN, to being consistently competitive - to me that means reaching the NCAA's 4 out of 5 years
2. I don't necessarily care where the players come from, however.....the coach must be able to create relationships with MN preps that translate into success on signing day - Understanding MN wont get them all, and at the same time there is far too much talent leaving the state
3. Ability to get the players to run an offense that has crisp, clean passing - one thing about RP's offense/player execution is the hesitation in making passes. Certainly the players abilities may drive some of the challenges
4. Previous success instilling high end defense that translates into wins
5. Very important for the next coach to have the ability to relate to the kids of today. And tomorrow, as firing/hiring is not good for nearly anyone concerned.

You really so unimaginative as to not know how you can go back further than now?

How about a combo Norwood Teague type personality with a Clem Haskins style scandel. Dramatic mid season firing with 2 years of sanctions. Sound fun yet?

I believe that Pitino was not the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th choice. All were rejected and Pitino seemed like an easy choice for someone running out of options. If Coyle cannot do better then roll the dice on next year. I like Pitino and would support him next year if it came to it.

Still... it is time.
Oturo leaves and this will hit rock bottom no matter who the coach is.

I understand what you are saying though. For sure the program has been in more dire straights. But the fan apathy, etc is similar to where this team was when Monson was near the end.

Of course you expect a couple tough seasons whenever a coaching change is made. With Coyle making the hire though, new practice facilities, etc. Someone should be able to come in here and get this turned around in 3 years or so.

I also like Richard and would support him again next year. Oturo back and new talent coming in, I think this team would be someone along the lines of a 6-10 seed next year.

They most certainly did.. look it up

I was agreeing that they weren't reaches. Both were pretty good hires. I liked Kill when he was here and was fine with him going forward until his health issues came up. PJ has been even better which is great.

A PJ Fleck type hire that has that kind of success is obviously what you are looking for. But if you end up with a guy that has the team finishing top 5-6 in the conference 3 out of 6 years with an occasional tournament run, I think you are happy. I am at least.

I was agreeing that they weren't reaches. Both were pretty good hires. I liked Kill when he was here and was fine with him going forward until his health issues came up. PJ has been even better which is great.

A PJ Fleck type hire that has that kind of success is obviously what you are looking for. But if you end up with a guy that has the team finishing top 5-6 in the conference 3 out of 6 years with an occasional tournament run, I think you are happy. I am at least.
That is good. You know what is good enough for you. Not me, I want conference titles and long runs of over .500 in the conference, plus the final 4.

while im holding onto hope that Pitino and this team can get on a roll here......but if they cant and its time to move on, here is my list

Gregg Marshall Wichita State (At least make the phone call. He would probably hang up. And he would cost a lot of money)
Craig Smith Utah State
LaVall Jordan Butler
Brian Dutcher San Diago State. (At least make the phone call)
TJ OTzelberger UNLV
Niko Medved Co. State
Ben Jacobson Northern Iowa
Chris Jans New Mexico State
Matt McMahon Murray State

How is Ryan Sanders not getting more plsying time on this thread.

NBA experience - young - exciting offense.
Gopher legacy connections

Friends with PJ

Well connectted. Think of the cosching team he could put together. I do believe he would be a better college coach than NBA. Coyle dies not move on unless he has Ryan or someone like him in the bag.

Friends with PJ

Well connectted. Think of the cosching team he could put together. I do believe he would be a better college coach than NBA. Coyle dies not move on unless he has Ryan or someone like him in the bag.
Doesnt "Sanders" have a current job?

Friends with PJ

what gives you the impression he can recruit?

Doesnt "Sanders" have a current job?
Haha. Deion? I'm not sure Saunders will have a job for too long at this rate. And the Twolves D is god awful. I would not be overly excited if he ended up being HC at the U. Not that I'm happy now though either, so........

When is hiring a new coach just remember there is going to be a new rule in college basketball. Free agency. Will u be able to keep elite players like Oturo and Carr or will the blue bloods snag them.

Need a coach who can recruit off other teams. Need a coach who can sell his own guys to stay. Every year u will have a minimum 5 players transfer from every school probably.

The landscape of collage hoops will change like you have never seen before. So will be kinda hard to tell which college coach is going to be great in the new era outside of the blue bloods.

Recruiting will be more important than ever before. The days of developing players is probably gone.

In a way with the new landscape I might want to let Richard stick it out and recruit.

When is hiring a new coach just remember there is going to be a new rule in college basketball. Free agency. Will u be able to keep elite players like Oturo and Carr or will the blue bloods snag them.

Need a coach who can recruit off other teams. Need a coach who can sell his own guys to stay. Every year u will have a minimum 5 players transfer from every school probably.

The landscape of collage hoops will change like you have never seen before. So will be kinda hard to tell which college coach is going to be great in the new era outside of the blue bloods.

Recruiting will be more important than ever before. The days of developing players is probably gone.

In a way with the new landscape I might want to let Richard stick it out and recruit.
I actually think the programs that identify the right fit will be even better as they will keep the right guys longer and attract the right kind of guy as a transfer , likely guys they came close on before and get them on a second try. These coaches have always been ahead of the curve and been doing that. If you think that 5 guys will transfer from each team every year it will mean a ton of them were not good enough to play at their original school. Once in awhile you will see the blue bloods grab a mediocre programs best player but those other elite programs are trying to win titles in a different way. there is no way to know in hiring a new coach will be good at poaching other players that are any good. If we make a change, hire the guy that recruits high character guys that fit, that stay, that want to be here as a first choice.

Check this out:

Interesting that he is also the same age as Ryan was when he went to Wisconsin.

Interesting that he is also the same age as Ryan was when he went to Wisconsin.
I've heard Ryan say in an interview that he wasn't sure he was cut out for D1, but he had to try or he'd always regret not doing it. As much as we think of him as a cock, I think he's actually a humble, thoughtful guy.

Jerry Kill's first year, we finished 12th in the Big 10. Could you imagine if we fired Pitino and things got THAT bad for the basketball program?

I'm not sure if you are joking but we have a good chance of finishing 12th in the league this season.

They were 11th in Kill's first season. Indiana was worse.

I've heard Ryan say in an interview that he wasn't sure he was cut out for D1, but he had to try or he'd always regret not doing it. As much as we think of him as a cock, I think he's actually a humble, thoughtful guy.

Although I can't say that I liked him, I always admired him. I thought he was outstanding at his job and really got a lot from his players with a level of consistency that very few can match. What more can you ask of a coach? There's something to be said for hiring a coach at the age where he has gone through all sorts of trials and errors, knows who he is, and what works for him.

Hmmmm....I'm not sure there is a sports related person I hate more than Bo. He came off as an arrogant ass and I find it hard to believe he was humble or a good guy. Could be wrong, but it would take a lot to change my mind.

Top Bottom