Minnesota Gophers Look to Rebuild Their Offensive Line

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Simbeck:

The strongest unit on the Minnesota Gophers football team these past couple of seasons has been their offensive line. Blessed with a massive offensive line that would have been right at home in the NFC North, Gophers rushers amassed over 3,900 yards on the ground and 46 touchdowns during this period. The team had one of the biggest offensive lines in Division 1 football with the starting unit averaging 6’6” and 336 pounds.
But tackles Daniel Faalele and Sam Schlueter and guard Blaise Andries are preparing for their first NFL training camps and guard Connor Olson awaits his NFL call. It will be a tall order to replace these veteran starters and it will be critical to their success this coming season. So, let’s take a look at Coach P.J. Fleck’s replacement starters.

John Michael Schmitz is the Anchor​

Any discussion of the Minnesota Gophers 2022 offensive line has to start with senior center John Michal Schmitz. The returning second-team Big Ten selection will be the anchor of this unit. Schmitz has already been named to the Walter Camp preseason All-America Team and will no doubt be a finalist for the Rimington Award which is awarded to the best center in each division of college football. Look for his name to be called next May at the 2022 NFL Draft.

Replacing Olson at the left guard position will be senior Axel Ruschmeyer. The Hutchinson Minnesota native has large shoes to fill but he does have some experience starting on the offensive line. He started three games in 2021 and was also a key part of Minnesota’s jumbo package last year. Due to injuries, he also started six games during the 2020 season.

Go Gophers!!

According to this writer:

LT - Ersery, 6-6, 325
LG - Ruschmeyer, 6-4, 305
C. - JMS, 6-4, 320
RG - Filiaga, 6-6, 330
RT - Carrol, 6-6, 310

That’s some pretty good size. This list also does not include many players who have seen the field the last couple of years.

[height, weight from gopher sports.com]

LT - Ersery, 6-6, 325
C. - JMS, 6-4, 320
RG - Filiaga, 6-6, 330
RT - Carrol, 6-6, 310

That’s some pretty good size. This list also does not include many players who have seen the field the last couple of years.

In addition to size it is also a very mature group which is not something to take lightly along the offensive line. Lineman often take 3-4 years to reach their full potential and this group is full of guys that have spent a lot of time in college.

Ersery is the "youngest" of that bunch but even he is entering his 3rd year of college. O-Line will look very different than last year but there is still a strong chance that it is once again a strength even with the new faces.

I ran into PJ today at a Subway over lunch hour, no joke 100% true story. We talked a bit in line but then before he left he came over to say nice to meet you and thanked me for my support of the program. We talked for a few more minutes and I asked him about the O line. His exact quote to me was, “The offensive line will be better than last years by the end of the season.”

True story, this was just a few hours ago. BTW, he’s also super excited about Devan Eastern. He mentioned him when I asked about the D line.

I ran into PJ today at a Subway over lunch hour, no joke 100% true story. We talked a bit in line but then before he left he came over to say nice to meet you and thanked me for my support of the program. We talked for a few more minutes and I asked him about the O line. His exact quote to me was, “The offensive line will be better than last years by the end of the season.”

True story, this was just a few hours ago. BTW, he’s also super excited about Devan Eastern. He mentioned him when I asked about the D line.
He was Subway Elite.

What was he going to say?

"Let me tell ya, we're in for a rough ride on the line!! If I'm having to come to Subway for lunch, that oughtta tell ya something if ya know what I mean!!"

"Let me tell ya, we're in for a rough ride on the line!! If I'm having to come to Subway for lunch, that oughtta tell ya something if ya know what I mean!!"
Take it for what it’s worth. He seemed very genuine in what he said to me.

He certainly didn’t need to go as far to say this years line will be better than last years. He was truly confident about the O line.

Last edited:

LT - Ersery, 6-6, 325
C. - JMS, 6-4, 320
RG - Filiaga, 6-6, 330
RT - Carrol, 6-6, 310

It is...they also got smaller...which is weird to say. Not too long ago to have one or two over 3 bills was noticable.

Take it for what it’s worth. He seemed very genuine in what he said to me.

He certainly didn’t need to go as far to say this years line will be better than last years. He was truly confident about the O line.
I think our OL will be good. I'm really excited to see how Filiaga (Mich transfer) and Carroll mesh with JMS and the rest of the guys who win starting jobs.

Fleck has been saying he likes his oline and dline since first Spring presser.

Fleck and Callahan say Ersery may be best talent they have ever had.

Filiaga was a home run transfer. From the #1 oline in nation.

Ruschmeyer basically a returning starter taking advantage of year 6.

JMS best center in nation?

Four-star Carroll was at 8th best oline in nation.

Boe, Shaw, Guedet great veteran depth, competition to start.

I believe it! I zoomed in on him during a few plays of one game. No OL expert, but I was really impressed with him. There is talent on the OL. They just need experience.

In addition to size it is also a very mature group which is not something to take lightly along the offensive line. Lineman often take 3-4 years to reach their full potential and this group is full of guys that have spent a lot of time in college.

Ersery is the "youngest" of that bunch but even he is entering his 3rd year of college. O-Line will look very different than last year but there is still a strong chance that it is once again a strength even with the new faces.
Yup. And those who aren't super "battle tested" like Ersery have spent the last couple years in practice trying to block a defense ranked in the top 15 nationally last year with at least two NFL players on it (but likely several more). I'm guessing it'll take a few games for everything to gel, but once it does they'll be just fine. There's size, athleticism, and maturity.

Ko Kieft was a big part of the blocking game. He will be missed.

Need BSF and Kallerup and Chicago TE to step up.

Mo, Potts, Bryce better blockers than Ky and Bucky?

My son-in-law who saw Quinn Carroll recently said he is one massive dude!

The crucial phrase is "by the end of the season".
He knows as, most people who study OLs do, that it takes a while for OL to mesh as a unit.
MN's OL has a lot of portal players from different schools.
It will be difficult for the OL coach to have them perform at the level last year's OL did.

Good story but I might have felt better if he said "The offensive line will be better than last years by the beginning of the season!"

Seriously, though, although the offensive line was fantastic last year when it came to the running game, it was not quite as good when it came to pass protection. It's not like we gave up a lot of sacks (22) on the season but considering we threw the fewest passes in the conference (43 fewer attempts than #13 Wisconsin) the number was more significant on a percentage basis.

The crucial phrase is "by the end of the season".
He knows as, most people who study OLs do, that it takes a while for OL to mesh as a unit.
MN's OL has a lot of portal players from different schools.
It will be difficult for the OL coach to have them perform at the level last year's OL did.
Good unbiased, objective take

Dick

thanks! Now for the questions everyone wants to know:
  1. 6" or footlong?
  2. What kind of sandwhich?
  3. Which Subway?

To be better by the end of the season, they are going to have to be pretty good from the start.

Looking at Google maps, there is no Subway at all on the East Bank campus or Dinkytown. Surprising to see that! Maybe they had/have an outpost in Coffman, but it isn't showing up on the search.

So I guess PJ was working from home on Friday! Aren't they in Edina somewhere?

Looking at Google maps, there is no Subway at all on the East Bank campus or Dinkytown. Surprising to see that! Maybe they had/have an outpost in Coffman, but it isn't showing up on the search.

So I guess PJ was working from home on Friday! Aren't they in Edina somewhere?
Yes. He's in Jerry's on Vernon all the time.

Hopefully having a 6th year QB and not one but two RB's with starting experience returning, along with some proven weapons at TE and WR will mask any drawback from having an inexperienced O line.

Well, one option would be to say, "Let me tell ya, we're losing five really good players up front (including Kieft), but we still have older, talented players and I think this year we could be just as good." Nice to both units, no promises, optimistic. But he didn't.

As a 50-year Gopher fan, I'm used to cycles, where we finally have a good year with a lot of veterans, then they run out of eligibility and we're crap the next season. But it doesn't have to be that way. Those five guys are being replaced by others who are 20, 21, 22 years old. Maybe they CAN be better this year.

I'm used to cycles, where we finally have a good year with a lot of veterans, then they run out of eligibility and we're crap the next season. But it doesn't have to be that way. Those five guys are being replaced by others who are 20, 21, 22 years old. Maybe they CAN be better this year.
Filiaga and Ruschmeyer I think are 24, JMS 23, Carroll turned 22 earlier this year. BSF, Boe and Shaw year 5 (22 or 23?), Guedet year 4.

Last edited:

Top Bottom