Minnesota Gophers' contribution to CFB's arms race?!

dinkything

Reaction score
Been thinkin' bout the stipulation in Jerry Kill's contract, in which his assistants are assured of being paid in the top 1/2 of the B1G going forward...:confused:

...have to believe all other college football coaching staffs around the Conference...and across the country....will sit up and take notice.

I have no problem if Jerry Kill's staff is paid in the top 1/2 of the Conference...but to guarantee it can be problematic...

When those other staffs around the country hear about this matter, and compare notes, records, facts, etc. What will they see as it relates to the Gophers?

1. haven't been to so much as a 3rd tier bowl game (i.e. Outback Bowl) in 50+ years

2. have had only 3 winning seasons -- in Conference -- in the past 25+ years (5-3 in 1986, 5-3 in 1999, and 5-3 in 2003)

3. haven't even won a bottom-tier bowl game in a decade

4. paying big $$$ to get out of having to play OOC heavyweight home and home

If the Gopher staff is paid in the top 1/2 of the Conference, which team -- with their huge, full stadium -- drops to the bottom 1/2? Michigan? Ohio State? Penn St.? Nebraska? Wisconsin? Michigan St.? Iowa?

What does Pat Fitzgerald have to say? Or Illinois? Or Purdue? Or newcomers Maryland/Rutgers?

Will the 2014 season be a breakthrough? Or 2015?

Woody Teague may have become the leverage by which many other college football coaches are able to extract nice raises for their staffs based on on-field performance.

Something similar happened many years ago when Glenn Taylor signed a young KG to a guaranteed $120+ million contract, then complained when NBA 'labor costs" suddenly exploded.

Are the Gophers dousing the CFB arms race with gasoline? When and where does it slow down? When other teams respond accordingly, will ticket prices have to be raised...especially in light of the difficulty the Gophers are having in putting butts in the seats of TCF Bank Stadium?

I hope there is a cap written in as we'll and not a blanket statement without a cap. Does the slot machine malfunction when all 12 teams have the same clause? Who gets to be in the tops 6?

He's not even top 50 in FBS salary, is he?

The flip side is we may be able to attract some better assistants if we ever have openings, should I go to Minnesota and be guaranteed Top 6 assistant salary or Purdue and risk not making as much....assuming they are an in demand Asst. Coach that more than one team covets.

Top Bottom