Minnesota Football: Grading the 2022 Season.

NoelarBear

Reaction score

How would you grade the team?

OL- B+
RB-A
WR-D
TE-B+
QB-C-
Overall offense-C+ too many missed opportunities to score in the games we lost. Remove Mo and this unit drops precipitously. Look at the bowl game after Mo left. Morgan I would have given a D. AK gets a solid B for his play that he wasn’t expecting. Just not quite good enough to win the West.

DL-B
LB-B+
DBs-A-
Defensive unit-A- These guys are better playing together than their parts. Only thing keeping them from an A is lack of pressure behind the line of scrimmage.

ST-C
Coaching-B-
Fleck still is prone to head scratching decisions. Lack of in-game adjustments also keeps him down.

one aspect of grading is this - did the student perform up to his abilities?

If you're capable of doing A work and you get a B, that is seen as under-achieving.

But if you're considered capable of doing C work and you get a B, that is seen as over-achieving.

and that is what makes it difficult.

I am really not sure what this version of Gopher Football is capable of. are they meeting expectations, failing to meet expectations, or exceeding expectations? I really don't know what to think anymore. some days, it feels as if the Gophers could be doing better. Other days, if feels as if they're doing the best they can.

it's easier to evaluate a team that is playing really well - or playing terribly. it's trickier to evaluate a team that is in-between.

9 wins vs. the 46th most difficult schedule that resulted in exactly two wins vs. P5 schools with winning records [ 6 loss WI and 6 loss SYR] culminating in something called the Pinstripe Bowl? Somewhere, Crepitus is smiling broadly.

C across the board. How can you lose to Purdue and Illinois and expect a better grade? Then lose to Iowa who can not score?
Crazy talk like this is going to get you labeled a badger fan...a pessimist...someone that must be banned! You do know we won our bowl game and it was just 2 days short of being a NYD bowl?!

Game Day Coaching: D+

If you're capable of doing A work and you get a B, that is seen as under-achieving.

But if you're considered capable of doing C work and you get a B, that is seen as over-achieving.

I am really not sure what this version of Gopher Football is capable of. are they meeting expectations, failing to meet expectations, or exceeding expectations? I really don't know what to think anymore. some days, it feels as if the Gophers could be doing better. Other days, if feels as if they're doing the best they can.

it's easier to evaluate a team that is playing really well - or playing terribly. it's trickier to evaluate a team that is in-between.
Inconsistency. That is on the coaches. Lack of consistent preparation. Perhaps some churn on the coaching staff will help.

Was thinking C+ but I'll bump it to a B- for winning the axe, the bowl which was a defacto road game and getting Athan legit game reps. PJ pissed away the west by holding Mo out vs Purdue when we had a bye coming up. It's going to be hard to forgive him for that

Fair grading ignores expectations. Only performance matters. Gophers get a B.

I have thrown out Wisconsin and Iowa because with the exception of a decade or two, we don't beat those teams so given the rest of the schedule, C at best. beating Purdue would have gone with a B

I have thrown out Wisconsin and Iowa because with the exception of a decade or two, we don't beat those teams so given the rest of the schedule, C at best. beating Purdue would have gone with a B
Making the B1G title game was a B?, but winning 9 games is a C?

We've arrived! Expectations have been raised.

9 wins vs. the 46th most difficult schedule that resulted in exactly two wins vs. P5 schools with winning records [ 6 loss WI and 6 loss SYR] culminating in something called the Pinstripe Bowl? Somewhere, Crepitus is smiling broadly.

It’s interesting you posted that link. I assumed our schedule was much easier than some other teams like Purdue, Iowa, wisconsin, Illinois, Maryland

All 6 of those teams are within 9 spots of each other

B-. Would have been a C, but we won the axe in Madison.

Making the B1G title game was a B?, but winning 9 games is a C?

We've arrived! Expectations have been raised.
I was grading the season minus the post season. If we would have made the BIG, I would have included that and been in the A range. Beating Syracuse for our 9th win was great but not exactly epic. We have not arrived anywhere yet. Still losing to our rivals even though they are bad. "arrival" will be signaled by a division championship. Real arrival would be winning the BIG.

You all are funny. We are now in every game . We would have been in the Ohio game last year if we didn't lose Mo. How many times have we won 9 games is the last 20 years? I agree Fleck has raised the bar but so far we are so above any coach we had in the last 20. Just enjoy the ride.

B-. For me, a big what if about this season will be what if Tanner had not had come back and Athan was QB1 from the start.

Crazy talk like this is going to get you labeled a badger fan...a pessimist...someone that must be banned! You do know we won our bowl game and it was just 2 days short of being a NYD bowl?!

Game Day Coaching: D+
Really? Banned? Cmon brother. Please tell me your expectations are more than losing to Purdue, Illinois, no chance against Penn State, and Iowa who can not score a touchdown? This is good? We beat a lousy Wisconsin team. We played a mediocre bowl opponent.

Really? Banned? Cmon brother. Please tell me your expectations are more than losing to Purdue, Illinois, no chance against Penn State, and Iowa who can not score a touchdown? This is good? We beat a lousy Wisconsin team. We played a mediocre bowl opponent.
That was sarcasm, as that's what the Fleckgasm's say to/about me for failing to genuflect--hey, there has to be a take here > Fleck : genuFLECT <--every time his name is mentioned or he has a 9 win season over JV squads.

That was sarcasm, as that's what the Fleckgasm's say to/about me for failing to genuflect--hey, there has to be a take here > Fleck : genuFLECT <--every time his name is mentioned or he has a 9 win season over JV squads.
Lol why does it bother you so much that we don’t all hate Fleck?

Top Bottom