Minnesota football: 5 biggest transfer portal needs for 2023

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Cole:

Here are 5 positions the Gophers should target this offseason via the transfer portal:

1. Wide receiver​

The Gophers’ leader in receptions was Brevyn Spann-Ford, a tight end. Four pass-catchers totaled at least 250 yards and 15 catches, but none of them reached 500 yards.

Among the wideouts, Daniel Jackson led the charge with 484 yards while Michael Brown-Stephens and Dylan Wright registered 338 and 266, respectively. All 3 have eligibility remaining. Even if they all return, Minnesota needs a difference-maker who can separate himself as the clear No. 1 option. The top 4 targets all have roles in Kirk Ciarrocca’s offense, but there needs to be a consistent playmaker.

In today’s college football, teams need a legitimate No. 1 receiver to contend. Will the Gophers get their own version of Jordan Addison or Jacob Cowing next fall? They might be on the right path following the transfer commitment of Wisconsin’s Markus Allen, who had 7 catches for 91 yards and 1 TD this season for the Badgers.

2. Defensive end​

No Golden Gopher recorded more than 3.5 sacks in 2022. Danny Striggow was the most consistent at exerting pressure, registering 4.5 tackles for losses to go along with his team-high in sacks.

Minnesota ranks dead last in sacks among B1G programs this season with 17. Minnesota’s defense hasn’t featured a player with double-digit sacks since Willie VanDeSteeg in 2008. The Gophers have only had 3 players surpass 7.5 sacks since 2010, with Boye Mafe leading the charge last season with 7.

No one is saying that the Gophers need to land a Will Anderson from Alabama or an Isaiah Foskey from Notre Dame, but they need more pressure. Perhaps Minnesota follows a similar path to that of Florida State. Last season, the Seminoles added Jared Verse from FSC Albany. A year later, their defense finished 19th nationally with 34 sacks, 7.5 of which came from the former Great Dane.

3. Quarterback​

Morgan might qualify for AARP by the time he finally leaves Minneapolis after this season. He’ll finish 2nd all-time in passing yards for Minnesota, which will have an opening at QB for the first time in 5 seasons.

Fleck could look at multiple options. Athan Kaliakmanis went 2-2 as a starter in place of an injured Morgan and impressed in his final game against Wisconsin. He also never found his footing or rhythm against Iowa, ultimately leading to the loss that knocked the Gophers out of the B1G West title race.

At worse, Fleck could look to bring in a lower-tier transfer for competition purposes. Kaliakmanis has more than earned the right to fight for the title of QB1, but nothing should be promised to the 2021 4-star recruit. Look for maybe a Group of 5 senior transfer to be in play as the guy to push for reps against the rising sophomore.

4. Running back​

Could Trey Potts be the clear-cut No. 1 runner in 2023? Sure. Could freshman Jordan Nubin potentially be the next great bruiser of the B1G? Without question.

That said, Mohamed Ibrahim had over 55% of the Gophers’ carries this season. He’s going pro, and the Gophers will need depth.

Potts should be the favorite to see his rep count increase after serving as the No. 2. He averaged 4.9 yards per run and scored 3 touchdowns on 92 carries. Still, 92 carries is chump change for a program that registered 548 rush attempts. Not to mention, both Bryce Williams and Preston Jelen are seniors (though with options for 1 more season). The duo combined for 53 carries and 4 TDs.

One simply doesn’t replace a talent like Ibrahim by trusting the process and hoping for the best. The Gophers again could be one of the B1G’s more run-oriented offenses next season, so the more quality options in the backfield the better.

5. Safety​

Tyler Nubin has decided to return, but Jordan Howden likely is leaving. That leaves a spot up for grabs in Minnesota’s secondary, and the safety position might carry more weight than any other defensive back position for the Gophers.

Nubin finished with a team-high 4 interceptions. Howden finished 2nd in pass breakups with 4. Not to mention, the Gophers’ pass defense was their bright spot defensively, holding opponents to 173.7 yards per game (8th nationally) and tallying 13 interceptions.

Late in the season in harsh weather conditions, programs with stable defenses often prevail. Look at Iowa. Look at Michigan. Look at even Illinois. While the offense will take time to adjust, if Fleck can establish consistency in the secondary, he could keep the Gophers at the forefront of contending for a B1G West title.

That starts with veteran leadership on the backend. Expect the open safety spot to be filled by a transfer come September of next season.

Go Gophers!!

No OL?!?!?!

This article betting on everyone getting better at pass protection?

(i'm open to the possiblity that happens, I just am surprised this article doesn't mention it)

Last edited:

1. DE
2A Safety (CC guy Bishop would be great)
2B. IOL
4. K
5. LB

Minnesota ranks dead last in sacks among B1G programs this season with 17.
Minnesota also ranked #8 in passing yards allowed, and #5 in total defense...In the nation, not just the B10. The B10 had 4 of the top 5 defenses, and only Illinois allowed fewer passing yards per game in the B10 than Minnesota.

They don't blitz often, and I'm fine with that. Minnesota was #6 in total defense in 2021, #5 in 2022.

I'll sacrifice sack numbers for total defensive numbers like that.

I don't think WR is #1 by a long shot if CrAB is healthy.
Yeah in a month or so we've gone from having close to nothing at WR, to guys showing improvement / more involved in the game and we see more out of Jackson, Wright, and others than we thought.... and CRAB back should help a lot.

Bit of a whiplash of perceptions!

Is Jordan Nubin really considered a legit option?? First I've heard his name mentioned in that regard......

Why does Bleed refer to this freelancer by their first name, as if they were a true beat writer for the Gophers?

They are not.

I don't think WR is #1 by a long shot if CrAB is healthy.
The Gopher's were #114 out of 131 FBS teams in passing yards per game, and people act like it's all on the receivers.

Pair a regressing QB with a coach that LOVES to run the ball, and that main ball carrier rightly should have been in the Heisman discussion, and I don't care if you have tOSU's WRs, nobody is going to get a lot of yards out of that team.

I don't think we need a RB or QB.

We have 2 good young QBs. We have great young RBs. Potts will be lucky to get 5-7 carries a game after 3 or 4 games into next season because we have youth that is better than him.

I think we NEED DL and OL along with 1 veteran middle LB that can get people in place and that read and react quickly to play action.

It would take a lot of work, and so no one is going to do it, but it would be interesting to compare Big Ten defenses solely on plays where they did not blitz, and then see where we ranked in sacks.

Real priority:

1. OL - power running teams need good offensive lines. So do passing teams! It all starts in the trenches.
2. EDGE - really need to put more pressure on the opposing QB. Defense is stout but flushing the QB leads to turnovers and 3 and outs. Hell looking at Iowa, this may be #1!
3. RB - No mo Mo. we need a better option than Potts. Maybe Evans or one of the true freshmen can bring it. However, the last freshman to saddle the offense and gain over 1,000 yards or close to it was Mo.
4. LB - Really could use a tackling or blitzing machine to nudge the defense to the next level.
5. Kicker/special teams coach - we could definitely use a reliable kicker and I think we could use a new ST coach. Need this to be better across the board!

WHY NO MENTION OF WRS? - they looked pretty good with AK at QB. Lots of potential already on the roster. Ditch MBS and let’s go with Wright, CRAB, Jackson, Allen and Spahn Ford (who should explode after he returns next year). Brockington also is positive. Only thing we could really use here is a flat-out burner. I just don’t see that happening.

Last edited:

I don't think we need a RB or QB.

We have 2 good young QBs. We have great young RBs. Potts will be lucky to get 5-7 carries a game after 3 or 4 games into next season because we have youth that is better than him.

I think we NEED DL and OL along with 1 veteran middle LB that can get people in place and that read and react quickly to play action.

Agree with you although I wonder if any recruited defensive lineman would dramatically improve our pash rush. I'm not saying we don't need one but I don't know if anyone would make much of a difference in that area.

the biggest thing with the WR position as well is we don't need "depth" guys(like allen). We would need a true big time impact guy.....and there ain't an impact guy at WR who would even sniff at coming the Gophers with our track record of passing the ball (or lack there of) the last two years. the coaching staff would be wasting time.

Potts/Williams/Evans/Taylor/Williams/Nubin. I am confident in one or a platoon of these guys to handle the RB position this coming year

Yes, and no linebackers?
I don't break down film, but it does seem like the one defensive issue we've had post-Kill (and post-Smith) is a set of LBs that can really exert pressure from the second-tier. Our guys are assignment-sure and can move around fairly well, but they aren't impact guys like Wilson and Campbell. Maybe it's scheme, so I might be totally talking out of my butt, but it would be nice to have a disrupter in that group.

The Gopher's were #114 out of 131 FBS teams in passing yards per game, and people act like it's all on the receivers.

Pair a regressing QB with a coach that LOVES to run the ball, and that main ball carrier rightly should have been in the Heisman discussion, and I don't care if you have tOSU's WRs, nobody is going to get a lot of yards out of that team.
AK was 52%. That's horrible. Morgan was 67%. I feel the coaches just don't have enough trust in the players to put them in more risk/reward situations.

AK was 52%. That's horrible. Morgan was 67%. I feel the coaches just don't have enough trust in the players to put them in more risk/reward situations.
Stats like that are misleading however because with the scheme we are/were running you are mostly passing it when you are forced to and the defense knows it is coming... leading to a tougher time passing the ball. We also had a large amount of dropped passes that damaged AK/TM stat lines. Not saying they were perfect but it definitely doesn't paint the full picture

Stats like that are misleading however because with the scheme we are/were running you are mostly passing it when you are forced to and the defense knows it is coming... leading to a tougher time passing the ball. We also had a large amount of dropped passes that damaged AK/TM stat lines. Not saying they were perfect but it definitely doesn't paint the full picture
I agree and those drops sometimes happen because they are pretty closely guarded based on defense knowing it's a pass situation. They are also higher pressure situations.

Still O line #1 for me.
#2 one proven rb.
#3 one proven linebacker.
#4 restock across the board with high potential talent with 3 plus years left.
#5 instant upgrades anywhere.

Amen. They did less of that in the game against Wisconsin and the passing game showed the results. A number of us complained during the season that our play calling was forcing the QB and the receivers to get it right almost every time. We certainly don't do that with the running game. We have lots of rushing attempts that gain only 3 yards or less but that rarely stops us from running the ball a lot.

Top Bottom