Minnesota declined an offer to open 2010 at Michigan

DillonPGP

Reaction score
as a non-conference game (and it would have been the dedication game for the new additions to Michigan Stadium.

This is a very interesting read - including an interview with Joel Maturi (including details of the check for the new stadium he has never cashed)

Michigan Victors

as a non-conference game (and it would have been the dedication game for the new additions to Michigan Stadium.

This is a very interesting read - including an interview with Joel Maturi (including details of the check for the new stadium he has never cashed)

Michigan Victors

thanks for posting. very interesting. that being said. it is so frickin' stupid that UM & U of Michigan is one of the selected rotation games for these teams. Considering the long, long history between these two football programs it should still be an every year affair like it used to be. i hate that it is not and believe that there are many Michigan fans - who know their history - that feel the same way. i have not researched this, so i apologize if i am wrong, but haven't UM & U of Michigan been playing each other even longer than U of Michigan and Ohio State have?

This is interesting, but have two conference opponents ever scheduled a game together and considered it a "non-conference" game??? Although I think its a shame that we dont play michigan every year, it seems strange to play a conference opponent and have it not count toward our conference record.

This is interesting, but have two conference opponents ever scheduled a game together and considered it a "non-conference" game??? Although I think its a shame that we dont play michigan every year, it seems strange to play a conference opponent and have it not count toward our conference record.

since we don't play each other in minnesota again until 2012 there was apparently some unofficial talk between the minnesota & michigan AD's a little while back about trying to have an early "non-conference" game against each other in 2009 to "officially" open up TCF. sounds like maturi was not entirely opposed to it and the driving thought behind 2009 specifically was that this year (2009) is the 100th anniversary of the first "TRUE" little brown jug game (the one where the ceremony of officially exchanging the jug each and every year started). not 100% sure, but i think michigan was the first big ten team we played when we opened memorial stadium way back in 1924. a 100th anniversary themed game would have been very cool and nostalgic for both sides. it just didn't work out and sounds like minnesota's schedule was already too much set in stone for 2009.

in regards to the 2010 proposal for minnesota and michigan to "open up" the renovated michigan stadium understandably maturi thought it wouldn't be the best idea for minnesota to go up against michigan and then USC in back-to-back weeks, so he said "no".

I think the Gophers played Ohio State one year in a special charity or fundraising game at the end of the season (1931?) and it wasn't a conference game. Also, the Indiana game in 1960 didn't count in the standings - which was why we tied with Iowa for the title rather than winning it outright - because Indiana was on probation and the victory didn't count.

This is interesting, but have two conference opponents ever scheduled a game together and considered it a "non-conference" game???

I think Indiana and Purdue did this four or five years ago in basketball when they were scheduled to play each other only once in back-to-back seasons because of the inbalanced hoops slate. I think they played the "non-conference" game in Indy both years.

it is so frickin' stupid that UM & U of Michigan is one of the selected rotation games for these teams.

Who do you suggest the Gophers drop to keep Michigan every year? Iowa or Wisconsin?

And, who do you suggest Michigan drops to keep Minnesota every year? Ohio State or Michigan State?

I would suggest we play all 10 other teams in the Big Ten, with 2 non-conf opponents. That leaves the possibility for one good game and the one game against a smaller conference opponent as warm-up.

i have not researched this, so i apologize if i am wrong, but haven't UM & U of Michigan been playing each other even longer than U of Michigan and Ohio State have?

Yes. Michigan and Minnesota first played in 1892 (Minnesota won 14-6) and then played again in 1893, 1895, 1896 and then, in 1897, as Minnesota and Michigan laced it up for the 5th time, Ohio State and Michigan had their first ever game (Michigan won 36-0). In the historical series though, Michigan has played Ohio State more times (105) than Minnesota (97).

not 100% sure, but i think michigan was the first big ten team we played when we opened memorial stadium way back in 1924.

You're correct. Michigan came to Memorial Stadium on Nov. 1, 1924 (Homecoming) and defeated the Gophers 13-0. Two weeks later, the Gophers won their first ever conference game at the new stadium by beating Illinois 20-7. The loss cost Illinois the Big 10 championship that year.

I would suggest we play all 10 other teams in the Big Ten, with 2 non-conf opponents. That leaves the possibility for one good game and the one game against a smaller conference opponent as warm-up.

This is a great idea, and one I think a lot of fans would be on board with. Problem is, I doubt you could ever get all the coaches on board with this. Say what you will about the overall quality of play in the Big 10 relative to other top-tier conferences, but these team beats the hell out of each other over an eight game season. Trying to push for two additional conference games would create a war of attrition that I'm sure coaches with national title aspirations would rather avoid.

Or we could add a conference championship like most of the other BCS conferences do, which will not only create a tremendous amount of revenue for the conference but also better prepare our BCS bowl eligible teams for their bowl games as they would not have such a long layoff and would be forced to play one more tough game. However, the downside I guess would be that the confererence would have a tougher road to qualifying for a national title game than they do now with the possibility of losing and ruining an undefeated or 1 loss season.

Who do you suggest the Gophers drop to keep Michigan every year? Iowa or Wisconsin?

And, who do you suggest Michigan drops to keep Minnesota every year? Ohio State or Michigan State?

From the Gopher perspective, Michigan should be kept in the rotation ahead of Iowa. Though we are bordering states, our rivalry with Iowa does not compare to that of Michigan. Yes the Michigan rivalry is one-sided, but I don't really care; there is too much history there.

You're right though about Michigan's perspective. From their standpoint MSU and OSU make more sense than us.

From the Gopher perspective, Michigan should be kept in the rotation ahead of Iowa. Though we are bordering states, our rivalry with Iowa does not compare to that of Michigan.

We can agree to disagree on this. Not only are we bordering schools, but we also have a long history against Iowa, with an historic trophy, have played Iowa over 100 times, have a little more common ground with them (IMO) and it is a firm rivalry that has been fairly evenly matched over the course of time. Plus, our students don't chant "Who hates Michigan? We hate Michigan." There's a reason we chant "Who hates Iowa? We hate Iowa!"

I would hate to see the MN-IA series off the schedule. And, I know folks in southern and SW Minnesota really think Iowa is our main rival. It just wouldn't seem right to not play Iowa. It stinks not to play Michigan, but not at the expense of not playing Iowa, IMO.

I know I may be in the minority on this, maybe.

I know I may be in the minority on this, maybe.

Maybe it's a minority of two then. I love the Little Brown Jug and playing Michigan, but I would never turn it into an annual series at the expense of regular games with Iowa or Wisconsin. A true round-robin schedule would alleviate this, but until that happens, keeping rolling with Iowa and Wisconsin.

Maybe it's a minority of two then. I love the Little Brown Jug and playing Michigan, but I would never turn it into an annual series at the expense of regular games with Iowa or Wisconsin. A true round-robin schedule would alleviate this, but until that happens, keeping rolling with Iowa and Wisconsin.

Agreed 100%

Agreed. I also think that trading in IA to face a school that would rank us as their #3 rival at best behind OSU and MSU would be a bad deal.

Are we iowas biggest rival? I know they have one with becky and a beef with illinois, I think.

Agreed. I also think that trading in IA to face a school that would rank us as their #3 rival at best behind OSU and MSU would be a bad deal.

I know several Michigan fans, and I don't think we're anywhere close to their #3 rival. Their rivalry ranking would look something like

1. Ohio State
(big dropoff)
2. Notre Dame
3. Michigan State
(big dropoff)
4. Penn State
(dropoff)
5. Rest of the Big Ten roughly equal, with more emphasis on teams that have been good recently

I think they do appreciate the history of the Jug game, but since it's a series that hasn't been competitive in over 40 years it never ranks high up there in terms of importance to their fans. It's just another game that they expect to win every year, and do most of the time.

In response to Maturi's not wanting to play Mich and USC in back to back weeks... It looks to me like we have Set 4 and 25 as open dates. They only have Sept 4 (ND, Mass, and Bowling Green the following 3 weeks). We play USC on Sept 18, giving us a week of SD in between Mich and USC. I think it would be great to play them as our first game, maybe get them in here the next rotation we don't play them. We don't have any road NC games yet, this would be a HUGE second opponent - we have USC, South Dakota, and TBA (my guess is another school similar to SD, unless Texas will actually happen). It also allows us to play them again without it possibly affecting our conference record. And who knows, Mich always plays a little sloppy early on in the year, it would be nice to beat them in the Big House while still working out their kinks.

Just my thoughts. The more big names we play the better - national tv, recognized for not playing patsies, fan interest, etc. I'll take a 6-6 gopher team with NC games like Mich and USC any day over an 8-4 team with only one moderately challenging NC team.

Are we iowas biggest rival? I know they have one with becky and a beef with illinois, I think.

If StPHawk or any of those guys are lurking, feel free to chime in, but I would say Minnesota is Iowa's biggest rival. I could see an argument for Iowa State, but beyond that, I don't know that Wisconsin or Illinois fits the bill.

Iowa and Wisconsin play for that ridiculous trophy (the Heartland Trophy) that wasn't created until 2004. I'm not saying a trophy makes a rivalry, but artificially sticking a trophy on a series that had been played 79 times already, dating back to 1894, seemed kinda weird and mostly just to try and build up regional/national attention for the rivalry, since it's now a "trophy game." I will say it's a balanced series though. 41-41-2 all time, with Wisconin up 53 points cumulatively (1,471 - 1,418) over the years.

Iowa and Illinois I'd struggle to categorize as a top rivalry simply because they don't play every year. It's just like the Minnesota/Michigan rivalry, minus the tradition behind the Little Brown Jug. I would bet if you asked Iowa fans, Illinois would rank (at best) third on their list of rivals, and in turn, Illinois would say the same about Iowa (behind Mizzou and Indiana).

If StPHawk or any of those guys are lurking, feel free to chime in, but I would say Minnesota is Iowa's biggest rival. I could see an argument for Iowa State, but beyond that, I don't know that Wisconsin or Illinois fits the bill.

Iowa and Wisconsin play for that ridiculous trophy (the Heartland Trophy) that wasn't created until 2004. I'm not saying a trophy makes a rivalry, but artificially sticking a trophy on a series that had been played 79 times already, dating back to 1894, seemed kinda weird and mostly just to try and build up regional/national attention for the rivalry, since it's now a "trophy game." I will say it's a balanced series though. 41-41-2 all time, with Wisconin up 53 points cumulatively (1,471 - 1,418) over the years.

Iowa and Illinois I'd struggle to categorize as a top rivalry simply because they don't play every year. It's just like the Minnesota/Michigan rivalry, minus the tradition behind the Little Brown Jug. I would bet if you asked Iowa fans, Illinois would rank (at best) third on their list of rivals, and in turn, Illinois would say the same about Iowa (behind Mizzou and Indiana).

From my experiences with Iowa fans (wayyy too many) I would say that Wisconsin is a distant 4th to Minnesota, Illinois, and Iowa State. At the same time, I don't think there is a unified feeling enough to differentiate ISU, Illinois, and Minnesota. I think it depends on each fan's personal experience. ISU was number one for a long time but they have been really pathetic at sports lately. Also it is tough since they are in a different conference. They have won quite a bit in football recently so that fuels the fire but it isn't as strong as it once was.

There are a TON of suburban Chicago kids that go to Iowa. A lot of those kids become Iowa football fans but stay Illinois basketball fans. This is generally hated by the All-Iowa people and so there is not very much love for Illinois.

Minnesota is the historical rival so you will find many of the older fans with their strongest dislike for the Gophers.

Also location plays a big role. ISU is kind of universal throughout the state, but a place like the Quad Cities is right on the Illinois border. Cedar Rapids is a little closer to Minnesota.

Iowa fans also seem to hate Nebraska.

Hello all!
Hawkeye fan here, just thought I'd chime in. In my eyes I would say Minnesota is probably the biggest "Rival" for Iowa. I mean the history behind the Flloyd of Rosedale, and the actual story behind it is pretty interesting. (the bet between the governors.) and it has been played for quite a while. I HATE ISU but it isn't in really like a rival way it is just because they are kind of the annoying little brother that won't go away. When they do win they put billboards up, and their fans are incredibly arrogant for not having won ANYTHING since 1906. Illinois is kind of a rival and I love when we can beat them too...but that is b/c of Zook mostly. And Nebraska....well many Hawk fans would LOVE to get a series with them, b/c despite the fact they have not been in the hunt for the national title for almost 10 years...the way their fans talk about Iowa you would think they are in the midst of a USC type run.

Anyways, good luck this year! And by the way your new stadium looks REALLY nice, more in the traditional style of Kinnick and others with the brick....I like it. (except I for one don't think I will be going to watch some game up there now....I know how cold it can get here that time of year....and you guys are north. But maybe if I KNOW the weather will be nice.)

Wow....sorry for the rant I guess!:party:

ISU, year in and year out, is Iowa's biggest rival. I don't think its even close. We compete for in state players in football, wrestling and basketball as well as for media attention. Thanks to streaming I can listen to Iowa sports talk and rarely is there any Minnesota smack talk. Its all about 'Clones/Hawks and to a lesser extent 'Illannoy' mostly because of Zook.

Take the Big Ten back to ten teams and play round robin schedule. Problem solved

I can't remember who posted a link, but there has been some grumbling around the Pac-10 coaches of trying to get rid of the round-robin play. Nice idea, but in this era of the BSC it's not smart. If we could get to a playoff system with only the conference champions getting bids, then it might catch some legs.

Iowa State is Iowa's biggest rival hands down. Sour is right, though, when he mentions locations in the state. Growing up in Northern Iowa, it was ISU and Minnesota. Going to school in the Northeast corner of Iowa, it was always ISU with Minnesota and Wisconsin coming in a close second. In the Iowa City area, it's Illinois tied at the top with ISU. Once you get about an hour west of Des Moines, there are a lot of Husker fans in the state.
As an aside on the scheduling aspect of this thread, Iowa had a couple years worth of games against them during Fry's tenure, then he scheduled them again and retired. Ferentz's squads took a couple of pretty good beatings.
Personally, I would like to see Iowa State and Nebraska on the football schedule every year with a couple of MAC teams thrown in. That way it's not too heavy on one conference (Oh, right. I forgot ISU is still D1 and hasn't been tossed out of the Big 12 yet. :D)

Based on what?

Uh. I'm not sure the Gophers would survive that cut, so I'd rather they not.

We are either second or third in the director's cup this year. So, you are suggesting that the Big Ten would drop it's overall top sports program? And even if you go over a longer time line, Minnesota has never been last in the Big Ten since the inception of Director's Cup points. Northwestern would sure have a lot more concern over a cut than us.
I'm hoping this was a very lame attempt at humor.

Take the Big Ten back to ten teams and play round robin schedule. Problem solved

Or convince the University of Chicago to field a football team again and the Big 10 is now 12. Problem solved again. So many options... ;)

We are either second or third in the director's cup this year. So, you are suggesting that the Big Ten would drop it's overall top sports program?

Excuse me but doesn't the "Directors Cup" take into account rowing, golf, soccer, horse shoes, corn hole and ring toss? Success in those sports is the only reason we do well in the Directors Cup. Most Universities do not take them all that seriously.

So yeah...they might kick us out of the Big Ten because we are too good!

and yet another point sails over the head of someone...

Excuse me but doesn't the "Directors Cup" take into account rowing, golf, soccer, horse shoes, corn hole and ring toss? Success in those sports is the only reason we do well in the Directors Cup. Most Universities do not take them all that seriously.

So yeah...they might kick us out of the Big Ten because we are too good!

Yes, it does count everything. Which.....was....the...point. If you want to go football only, the one thing Mason did well, is move us to the middle of the Big Ten, a bad year two years ago, and another middle of the pack finish last year. So the point then becomes, Indiana has a lot more to worry about then us. I still hope his was a bad atttempt at humor, yours was just an attempt to be obtuse.

Top Bottom