Minnesota @ Colorado 2021 - Media Predictions

This game will be close. The Gophers IMO are a better team. But they are on the road. Also, we have to pass the ball. Good teams won't let a second string RB run for 200 yards on them.

RPO them to death and put up points. Our defense can't stop anyone, that we have already established.
The RPO since the new OC is a shell of its former self.

Athlon Sports is predicting a 26-23 Minnesota win.
Both of these teams have squared off with top-10 opponents in the opening weeks. Though neither came out on top in those games, they've been able to pick up some early-season insights on areas to refine their game as they prepare to head into the meat of their season. Look for Colorado's defense to keep Minnesota's offense in check while the Golden Gophers will aim to limit the Buffaloes' second-half scoring and halt a discouraging trend from their first two games.

Writers at the Detroit News are split, two taking Colorado, and two going with Minnesota.

At UW Dawg Pound (SB Nation), the Gophers have been picked to win 24-21.
The Buffs nearly beat #5 Texas A&M, but the offensive ineptitude on both sides does not inspire a great deal of faith. Colorado has a legit rush attack with Brendon Lewis, Jarek Broussard, and Alex Fontenot. The Gophers have given up some points, but their weak spot has been through the air. Treyson Potts appears to be a viable alternative to Mo Ibrahim in the run-heavy offense. The game should be close. I’ll go with Minnesota based on Colorado’s lack of a pass attack to date.

This game will be close. The Gophers IMO are a better team. But they are on the road. Also, we have to pass the ball. Good teams won't let a second string RB run for 200 yards on them.

RPO them to death and put up points. Our defense can't stop anyone, that we have already established.
Trey Potts averaged 6.4 yards / carry last year. He may well turn out to be better than Mo with far less wear and tear on his joints. He's not a 'second string' running back.

Behind him you have Cam Wiley, who averaged 6.2 yards / carry last year.

Behind him you have Bryce Williams, who averaged 4.3 yards / carry as a true freshman in 2018. We haven't seen him play meaningful snaps since he was a serviceable B1G running back at 18 years old _three years ago_

Behind him you have Ky Thomas, who is widely viewed as the _most_ talented RB on the roster.

Minnesota is going to have a solid running attack as long as the offensive line stays healthy. They will be able to run on any team, all season long, as long as the offensive line holds up.

Last edited:

I can't believe someone from Athlon predicted a Gopher victory. Typically if there is a prediction for a bad Gopher season, a Gopher loss, etc., it is from Athlon. Perhaps USA Today is the new Athlon?
This.

Trey Potts averaged 6.4 yards / carry last year. He may well turn out to be better than Mo with far less wear and tear on his joints. He's not a 'second string' running back.

Behind him you have Bryce Williams, who averaged 4.3 yards / carry as a true freshman in 2018. We haven't seen him play meaningful snaps since he was a serviceable B1G running back at 18 years old _three years ago_

Behind him you have Ky Thomas, who is widely viewed as the _most_ talented RB on the roster.

Minnesota is going to have a solid running attack as long as the offensive line stays healthy. They will be able to run on any team, all season long, as long as the offensive line holds up.
I think you gotta look at individual games and who those guys are racking up those yards against. I don't know off the top of my head, but I don't think any of those guys had real big games against any decent competition.

With that said, I really like Potts. And I really want to see Ky Thomas in action. Also could see Bucky Irving a little more (I still think Bucky won't get action in more than 4 games though to save his RS, even if PJ says he doesn't care about that. We'll see though.)

I think you gotta look at individual games and who those guys are racking up those yards against. I don't know off the top of my head, but I don't think any of those guys had real big games against any decent competition.

With that said, I really like Potts. And I really want to see Ky Thomas in action. Also could see Bucky Irving a little more (I still think Bucky won't get action in more than 4 games though to save his RS, even if PJ says he doesn't care about that. We'll see though.)
I take your point though will mention that last year was an all B1G schedule so both Potts / Cam were ripping off chunk runs against good opponents.

Then Bryce actually scored two touchdowns against Wisconsin in 2018 when the Gophers finally broke the streak.

These guys can compete, especially behind this offensive line.

But you're right, none have held down a 20-touch role in a B1G game yet.

Didn't Bucky return kick off last game? I guess I'm not as sharp on the red shirt rule so I would guess that counts as one game. If so, why not give him a few carries if you are going to give Bryce some carries. I know Bryce has more experience but why not give the kid a carry or end around. I don't think he'll play more than 4 games either. I do think we will see Ky sooner than later

If the Gophers lose, we are going to be very upset with Rossi.

The only way we should lose this is if our defense can't stop a one-dimensional running offense that can only complete short throws.

I think Colorado only crossed the A&M 40 like 3 times last week.
We should hold them to 14-15 points.

Didn't Bucky return kick off last game? I guess I'm not as sharp on the red shirt rule so I would guess that counts as one game. If so, why not give him a few carries if you are going to give Bryce some carries. I know Bryce has more experience but why not give the kid a carry or end around. I don't think he'll play more than 4 games either. I do think we will see Ky sooner than later

I take your point though will mention that last year was an all B1G schedule so both Potts / Cam were ripping off chunk runs against good opponents.

Then Bryce actually scored two touchdowns against Wisconsin in 2018 when the Gophers finally broke the streak.

These guys can compete, especially behind this offensive line.

But you're right, none have held down a 20-touch role in a B1G game yet.
I do think a tough think for an RB is when you don't get consistent run so you find no rhythm in the game. Cam and Bryce coming in for a carry here and there is just tough to get into the game. I wouldn't mind if you sit Potts for an entire series here and there as you'll see other teams do with their back up backs.

That is 1 game down for Bucky there.

Sports Book Wire (USA Today) is going with a 24-17 Minnesota victory
Money line-LEAN to MINNESOTA (+122) as they’ve looked like the more competent offense. While Texas A&M is an elite SEC school, Colorado struggled mightily to move the ball.

Against the spread-BET on MINNESOTA +2.5 (+100) as the best value in this game. While Minnesota could easily win outright, going on the road up to Folsom Field in Boulder, Co., is not going to be easy.

Believe in the Buffaloes defense but not their offense.

Here are the picks from the writers at The Daily Gopher (SB Nation)
Blake Ruane, 20-17 Colorado. I don’t feel good about this game. Texas A&M was missing their starting quarterback, but Colorado’s defense still deserves credit for limiting an offense loaded with talented to 10 points. Minnesota’s defense, on the other hand, looked lost in the second half against a MAC opponent. This is a winnable game for the Gophers, but my confidence is not where it needs to be to predict a victory on the road against a tough Power 5 opponent.

GoAUpher, 24-21 Minnesota. Honestly, based on the way Colorado and Minnesota both played last week I can see the Gophers losing this game. But since I’ll be at the game in person I’d prefer to think happy thoughts.

GopherGuy05, 31-23 Colorado. I hope I’m wrong, but I really don’t feel great about our defense and think the Buffs can slow down our offense just enough.

GopherNation, 35-30 Minnesota. Just win please.

HipsterGopher, 17-12 Minnesota. The three previous meetings between the Buffaloes and Gophers have all included a ranked Colorado and a Minnesota loss. Well not this Saturday. With both teams being weird (Colorado on offense, Minnesota in general). I’m predicting a low scoring affair with the score matching the 2016 Holiday Bowl when the Gophers beat Wazzu.

Mowe0018, 20-17 Minnesota. I believe Minnesota has now won 16 non-conference games in a row. As moralistic a victory the Buffs game against Texas A&M was, I don’t think they are going to be the squad that breaks this streak. It’ll be ugly, it will inspire no confidence in the team moving forward, but I think somehow, someway, like every other non-con game during the Fleck Era, they get it done.

White Speed Receiver, 27-10 Minnesota. Complete passes, win the game.

WildCatToo, 24-21 Minnesota. This is a homer pick, mostly.

ZipsOfAkron, 27-17 Minnesota. Though my head says “this is an unproven Minnesota team heading on the road to a high-elevation opponent who doesn’t suck” my heart says “this is supposed to be a semi-magical season and I have optimism still and Minnesota also doesn’t suck.”

I’m taking the Gophers in a bounce-back game after they primed the pumps against the MAC, while the Buffs are entering letdown territory after nearly taking down A&M.

Like Mo in 2019.....Potts looks like a first team talent. Only second string because he was behind one of the best running backs in college football.

The only way we should lose this is if our defense can't stop a one-dimensional running offense that can only complete short throws.

Agreed. It's very possible Miami has a better offense than CU. In perusing a CU board this morning, most seem to think this will be a low scoring slugfest, and that like CU, Minnesota will struggle to pass the ball. I don't think the latter is true, but I could see a world in which both teams try to wear the other out on the ground. Like most games between with fairly tight spreads, it'll come down to turnovers, limiting mistakes, and making (or stopping) big plays. I'm a homer, but give me a 4th year starter at QB, suddenly capable ST's unit, and team that's getting healthier (Howden and CAB).

EDIT to add that CU forum has an ongoing thread called "****braska Hate Thread". Magnificent.

I do think a tough think for an RB is when you don't get consistent run so you find no rhythm in the game. Cam and Bryce coming in for a carry here and there is just tough to get into the game. I wouldn't mind if you sit Potts for an entire series here and there as you'll see other teams do with their back up backs.

That is 1 game down for Bucky there.
Your point is good. A back needs a series and several carries to show anything. For example, in Trey's splendid game Saturday he had three carries for lost yardage and four more for a yard or half yard. The point is even a good line does not create running room every time.

I agree completely. This is where Rossi and the defense need to stand up. A flop here and Rossi’s chair will be heating up as far as my opinion of him. I don’t believe that this roster is devoid of defensive players with physical talent. The coaches need to get them to execute.

Like Mo in 2019.....Potts looks like a first team talent. Only second string because he was behind one of the best running backs in college football.

It doesn't really matter if he is a first team guy to be honest. Top defenses will not get beat to the tune of 200 yards rushing unless the back is going to be playing on Sundays.

8-9 in the box will shut that down real quick.

OK.

Let's see what he does against Wisconsin and Iowa. That is where you can test that theory.

I'm not saying the guy isn't good or that the others aren't good. All I am saying is that Mo was special. And against good defenses, you are not going to be able to run one guy for 200 yards on the ground. You will need to throw once in awhile or they will keep 8 or 9 guys within 3 yards and make it tough on you.

The only thing that worries me is when we get to B1G play, you cant give a guy 30 carries a game and expect him to make it through the season. Not all B1G defenses are great, but they're all filled with big guys who hit hard. Running into 300 lb d linemen and LBs flying around will take its toll on anyone.

Top Bottom