Minnesota Class of 2012 Recruiting Update

vames

Reaction score
Will be an interesting two months for Minnesota seniors as the recruiting cycle moves into full swing. Will be interesting if the Gophers can pick anyone up as a preferred walk-on. Not many scholarship slots left to fill for this year's class.

Below is link to the article.

Below is the summary of the class so far. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have updates.

Class of 2012 - BCS Commitments (8)

Phillip Nelson, 6'3 210, QB, Mankato West (4A) - Committed to Minnesota.

Maxx Williams, 6'4 225, TE/Athlete, Waconia (3A) - Committed to Minnesota.

Isaac Fruechte, 6'3 200, WR, Caledonia/Rochester CTC - Committed to Minnesota.

Mitchell Leidner, 6'5 220, Lakeville South (5A) - Committed to Minnesota. Had received other offer from Northern Iowa.

Nick Rallis, 6'0 210, DB, Edina (5A) - Committed to Minnesota.

Isaac Hayes, 6'3 270, OL, St. Thomas Academy (4A) - Committed to Minnesota. Had received offers from Boise State, Oregon State, Virginia Tech, Wyoming, Army, Navy, Air Force, Western Michigan, Northern Iowa, and NDSU.

Jonah Pirsig, 6'9 285, OL, Blue Earth - Committed to Minnesota. Had received offers from Minnesota, Auburn, Ohio State, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan State, Miami, Iowa State, Indiana and Wisconsin.

Andre McDonald, 6'3 180, WR, Hopkins (5A) - Committed to Vanderbilt. Had received offers from Minnesota, Ohio State, Iowa, Illinois, Arizona, and Michigan State.

Class of 2012 - BCS Offers (2)

Nick Davidson, 6'6 280, OL, Eden Prairie (5A) - Most recent offer is from Ohio State. Has received offers from Minnesota, Michigan, Virginia Tech, Stanford, West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Maryland, Clemson, and Duke.

Will Johnson, 6'7 245, TE, Osseo (5A) - Most recent offer is Kansas. Has received offers from Minnesota, Auburn, Boston College, Mississippi, Iowa, Illinois, Iowa State, Kansas, and Northern Iowa.

Class of 2012 FBS Commitments (2)

Jonathan Harden, 5'11 300, DL, Cretin-Derham Hall (5A) - Committed to Western Michigan. Received offers from Eastern Michigan and North Dakota.

Kyle Hughes, WR/Athlete, 5'8 170, Minneapolis Washburn (3A) - Committed to Eastern Michigan.

Class of 2012 FBS Offers (9)

Drake Michaelson, 6'1 205, LB, Eden Prairie (5A) - Has received offers from Wyoming, Air Force, Akron, Wofford, South Dakota State, South Dakota, and North Dakota.

Brett Pierce, 6'6 250, DE, Holy Angels - Received offers from Wyoming, South Dakota and North Dakota.

Duke Anyanwu, 6'4 200, Athlete, Blaine (5A) - Has received offers from Air Force, Northern Iowa, South Dakota State, and North Dakota.

Andrew Moritko, 6'4 215, DB, Totino-Grace - Received offer from Air Force. Receiving interest from Minnesota, Air Force, Akron, SDSU, and NDSU.

Andrew Larson, 5'11 195, RB, Eden Prairie (5A) - Has received offers from Air Force, NDSU, SDSU, South Dakota, and North Dakota.

Chase Roullier, 6'4 290 OL, Burnsville (5A) - Has received offers from Western Michigan, Toledo, Akron, and Northern Iowa.

Charles Webb, 5'11 175, CB, Minnetonka (5A) - Received offer from Toledo. Receiving interest from Minnesota, Iowa, Montana, and NDSU.

Adam Bungum, 6'2 180, Triton - Received an offer from Army.

Karmichal Dunbar, 6'2 290, DL, Prior Lake (4A) - Received an offer from Arkansas State.

Class of 2012 FCS Commitments (3)

Zach Riopelle, LB, 6'3 215, Warren-Alvarado-Oslo - Committed to NDSU.

Zack Johnson, 6'5 310, OL, Eastview - Committed to NDSU.

Joe Mollberg, 6'3 210, QB, Detroit Lakes (4A) - Committed to North Dakota. Had received offer from North Dakota State and South Dakota State.

Class of 2012 FCS Offers (8)

DJ Hebert, 6'2 185, Athlete, Osseo (5A) - Received offers from Northern Iowa, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, North Dakota, and South Dakota.

Nick Carr, 6'8 275, OL, Totino-Grace (4A) - Received offers from Northern Iowa and NDSU.

Kevin Carroll, 6'3 280, OL, Edina - Received offer from Northern Iowa.

Tavaughn Blair, 5'11 190, CB, Hopkins (5A) - Received offer from NDSU.

Tyler Hartmann, 6'3 240, DE, Andover (5A) - Received an offer from SDSU.

Taj Rich, 6'2 210, LB, Robbinsdale Cooper (5A) - Received offer from North Dakota.

Sam Lee, 6'5 305, OL, Blue Earth - Received offers from South Dakota State and South Dakota.

Lucas Wiborg, 6'4 275, OG, DeLaSalle - Received offer from Dartmouth and Columbia.

Link: Class of 2012 Recruiting Update

W. Johnson has an offer from WVU and has an official scheduled there for 12/9.

Is Andrew Moritko any relation to early-1980s Gopher OL Jeff Moritko?

Yeap.....that would be a father-son relationship.

Saw one Totino game and Moritko didn't stick out. However, I wasn't aware of him at the time. Totino has a cousin of the Barber's who is a sophomore, he broke his foot but he could be a DI guy when he graduates.

Yeap.....that would be a father-son relationship.

Thanks. Did a couple of internet searches and while a couple of sites implied that, none came out and said it. I found it odd because Jeff Mortiko was a pretty good ballplayer for the Gophs.

Does anyone know if Beau Bofferding from Marshall has any offers?

I know Brett Pierce picked up two more offers and is receiving some B1G attention.

Duke appears to be getting a visit from Minnesota and took an official visit to SDSU last weekend.

Been working on the Class of 2013 this past week, who has some solid linebackers and running backs in the group.

Will poste updates as I get information in from the players or coaches.

Regarding Minnesota Players that are still in the "consideration" for a scholarship, it appears to be Anwanyu, Pierce, Moritko, Roullier, and Lauer. It will be interesting to see how that last two months pan out as players committ and decommit.

Here is a list of walk-on candidates that I came up with. I haven't confirmed a D1 offer yet good size (or speed) to be considered for the 10-walk on slots that Coach Kill would like to fill.

Austin Lommen, 6’4 200, QB, Breck (3A) – All-State Honorable Mention. All-Pioneer Press Honorable Mention. Star Tribune Third Team. In 9 games, completed 178 of 312 passes (57%) for 2410 yards and 29 touchdowns. In 11 games as a junior, completed 236 of 382 passes (62%) for 3080 yards and 35 TDs. As a sophomore, completed for 132 of 281 passes for 1966 yards and 24 TDs. Was All-Conference. Star Tribune evaluation “Excellent delivery and outstanding anticipation.” Pioneer Press All-State Honorable Mention. Has a 3.8 GPA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_gI6TZHbAE

Nathan Meyer, 6’3 185, Rocori – All-State Honorable Mention. In 13 games for 4A State Champs, completed 153 of 256 passes (60%) for 1896 yards and 19 touchdowns. Had 161 carries for 666 yards and 11 touchdowns. In 8 games as a junior, completed 86 of 167 passes for 1063 yards and 5 TDs. Saint Cloud All-Area Honorable Mention. In basketball, averaged 15 ppg, 6 rpg, and 5 apg. Recorded 52.6 split in 4x400 and 10.92 in 4x100. Brother to former Gopher great and current NFL player Eric Decker.

Trey Heid, 6'3 185, QB, Lakeville North (5A) - All-State Second Team. Star Tribune Player of the Year. KARE 11 All-Metro. Pioneer Press First Team. In 10 games, completed 127 of 216 passes (59%) for 1957 yards and 18 touchdowns. Had 110 carries for 488 yards and 7 touchdowns.

Antonio Ford, 5’9 200, RB, Wayzata (5A) - KARE 11 All-Metro. All-State Honorable Mention. All-Pioneer Press Honorable Mention. Star Tribune SecondTeam. In 13 games, had 224 carries for 1463 yards for 6.3 ypc and 13 touchdowns. Was the May 2011 NUC Combine Overall MVP/Combine King with 4.58 40 yard dash, 4.18 shuttle, 35” vertical, and 23 bench reps at 185. Attended US Army National Combine. Was injured to start the junior season. In 8 games, had 224 carries for 922 yards and 9 TDs. As a sophomore in six games, rushed for 835 yards for 5.7 YPC and 8 TDs. At the 2010 NUC, recorded a 4.66 electronically timed 40-yard dash and 28.5” vertical.
Gopherlillustrated.com camp evaluation “Running back Antonio Ford participated in his second day of camp this week, and put on a nice display. Ford was clearly the class of the running backs today. He spent most of the early session catching passes from Nelson, and looked athletic doing it. He was quick and fast. Not a huge guy, but- showed enough athleticism to prove that he is a D1 football player.”

Wesley Tucker, 5'10 205, RB, St. Croix Lutheran (3A) - All-State First Team. All-Pioneer Press First Team. Has rushed for 1529 yards and 24 touchdowns. In 8 games as a junior, has 131 carries for 1040 yards for 7.9 ypc and 13 TDs. In sophomore season, rushed for 709 yards, 8.9 YPC, and 12 TDs. All-Conference HM.

Moses Saygbe, 6’0 195, RB, Elk River (5A) – All-State Honorable Mention. Conference MVP. In 8 games, has 163 carries for 1315 yards for 8.7 ypc and 14 touchdowns.

Lexis Jones, 5’9 205, Bloomington Kennedy (5A) - All-State Honorable Mention. Star Tribune Third team. Pioneer Press Honorable Mention. In 9 games, has 216 carries for 1192 yards and 9 touchdown. In 8 games as a junior, had 183 carries for 1075 yards for 5.9 ypc and 8 TDs. Pioneer Press All-State Honorable Mention. South Suburban All-Conference HM.

http://youtu.be/W3QJe50xveA

Sam Sura, 5'11 185, RB, South Saint Paul (4A) - Pioneer Press Player of the Year. All-State First Team. Star Tribune All-Metro First Team. In 12 games, has 229 carries for 1675 yards for 7.3 ypc and 22 touchdowns. In 11 games as a junior, had 291 carries for 1985 yards for 6.8 ypc and 20 TDs. All-State HM. Star Tribune First Team. Kare 11 All-Metro. Pioneer Press All-State First Team. Classic Suburban Conference Offensive Player of the Year. KARE 11 Assessment - "Sura's opponents rave about his toughness. Sura was a workhorse carrying the football 291-times for 1985 yards and 20 touchdowns. The Packer runningback averaged 7-yards per carry, 181 per game with just one fumble all season. He was impressive, and Sam Sura will be back next year." Coach Sexauer assessment in Pioneer Press "Sam's a strong, tough-nosed running back that sets up his blocks and hits the hole with force. He has games speed and won't be pulled down from behind.

Carey Woods, 6'1 180, WR, Bemidji (4A) - All-State Second Team. Pioneer Press Honorable Mention. In 13 games, had 70 receptions for 1324 yards for 19 ypc and 18 touchdowns.

Kasey Robinson, 5’10 165, WR, Breck (3A) – All-State Honorable Mention. Star Tribune Third Team. In 10 games, has 59 receptions for 818 yards and 10 touchdowns. In 11 games as a junior, had 69 receptions for 889 yards and 11 TDs. 2010 KARE 11 Preseason All-Metro. As a sophomore, had 51 receptions for 768 yards and 13 TDs. All-Conference HM. Ran a 4.53 40 at Iowa State.

Emeche Wells, 6'3 195, Roseville (5A) - All-State First Team. Star Tribune All-Metro First Team. Suburban East Conference Offensive Player of the Year. KARE 11 All-Metro. In 7 games, has 34 receptions for 560 yards and 5 touchdowns. Had 43 carries for 324 yards for 7.4 ypc and 2 TDs. Averaged 11.9 yards when he touched the ball. In 6 games as a junior, had 20 receptions for 270 yards and 6 TDs.

Ben Lauer, JR, 6’7 270, Wayzata - All-State First Team. Star Tribune All-Metro First Team. All-Pioneer Press First Team. KARE 11 All Metro. Started left tackle in all 13 games for State 5A Runnerup. In junior year, starting OL for 5A State Champions Wayzata until knee injury in 4th game.

Teddy Barthel, 6'3 300, OL, Caledonia - All-State Second Team. Three year starter for two-time 2A State Champs. Max squat is 500.

Danny Urquhart, 6'8 310, OT, Eden Prairie – All-State Honorable Mention. Star Tribune Third Team. Receiving regional D1 recruiting interest. Starting tackle on 5A State Champion team.

Kit Snyder, 6’3 225, DE, Wayzata (5A) - All-State First Team. Star Tribune All-Metro First Team. All-Pioneer Press First Team. In 11 games for State 5A Runner-ups, had 67 tackles (43 solo), 12 sacks, 24 TFLs, 14 QB hurries, 1 forced fumble, and 1 fumble recovered.

Jess Hein, 6’2 280, Perham – All-State Honorable Mention. All Conference. In 10 games, had 82 tackles (60 solo), 1 sack, 11 TFL, 2 QB hurries, and 1 forced fumble. All State Honorable Mention. Heart O’ Lakes Conference Most Valuable Offensive Lineman. Ranked #2 HWT in Class AA during junior season. Placed 4th in State Wrestling as a sophomore.

Dillon Lampert, 6’5 220, DE, Lakeville South (5A) - All Conference. In 8 games, has 55 tackles (29 solo), 3.5 sacks, and 2 fumble recoveries.

Billy Mork, 6'3 235, DE, St. Thomas Academy – All- State Honorable Mention. Star Tribune All-Metro Third Team. Pioneer Press Honorable Mention. In 8 games, had 52 tackles (20 solo), 2.5 sacks, 10 TFL, and 1 forced fumble.

Jones Green, 6’5 210, LB, Hill-Murray – In 11 games, had 50 tackles, 5 sacks, 4 TFL, 1 INT, 2 fumbles recovered, 1 kick and 1 punt blocked.

Brandon Larson, 6'2 200, Bemidji - All-State Second Team. In 11 games, has 148 tackles. In 11 games as a junior, had 152 tackles (62 solo),1 .5 sack, 9 TFL, 5 INT, 2 forced fumbles, and 1 fumble recovery. Has a 3.8 GPA.

Ryan Poppitz, 6'2 185, LB, Wayzata (5A) - All-State First Team. Star Tribune All-Metro First Team. Pioneer Press First Team. In 9 games, had 95 tackles (50 solo), 5 sacks, 17 TFLs, 9 hurries, 1 INT, and 7 passes broken up.

Matt Weber, 6'5 210, LB, Rogers (4A) - All-Conference. In 11 games, had 56 tackles, 3 sacks, 10 TFL, 3 QB hurries, and 1 INT. In 11 games as a junior, had 69 tackles (41 solo), 6.5 sacks, 9 TFLs, 9 hurries, 5 forced fumbles, and 2 fumble recoveries. Recorded a 4.88 40-yard dash. Two way player that passed for yards and rushed for 287 yards for the season.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/664478/matt-weber#highlights

Jake Lambrecht, 6’4 210, LB, Little Falls – All-State Honorable Mention. 2011 Conference Linebacker of the Year. In 8 games, had 100 solo tackles, 21 TFL, 1 Int, and 1 fumble recovery. 2010 Central Lakes All Conference.

Cedric Dicke, 6’3 215, LB/S, Cannon Falls - All-State Honorable Mention. Received preferred walk-on offers from Minnesota and NDSU.

Shaquille Theus, 5’9 180, DB, Coon Rapids – All-State First Team. Star Tribune All-Metro First Team. Pioneer Press Honorable Mention. In 9 games, has 108 tackles (75 solo) and 2 interceptions.

Anthony Hill, 6’1 180, DB, Champlin Park - All-State First Team. Conference Defensive MVP. Star Tribune All-Metro Second Team. KARE 11 All-Metro. In 8 games, had 57 tackles and 3 INTs.

Cody Rutledge, 6'2 180, DB, Bemidji - All-State Second Team. In 9 games has 7 INT and 70 tackles.

Thanks vames. Nice list. Any idea if the Gophers are trying to get Blue Earth's Sam Lee to also consider walking on?

Great updates vames. Keep 'em coming.

No update on Sam Lee and his recruiting.

Did confirm that previous player to watch Anthony Hill from Champlin Park has picked up offers from SDSU and North Dakota and is receiving contact from Minnesota.

Ben Lauer is still in the running as a candidate with the potential for an offer with the Gophers.

Adam Bungum is receiving a visit from Coach Poore. Adam picked up an offer from North Dakota to go along with an offer from Army.

Adam Larson now as offers from Army, Air Force and all Dakota schools.

Devon Bzoskie, 6'2 180, WR from Lakeville South is being considered for a preferred walk-on slot.

It should be an interesting two months until NSD!

Vames, you follow HS recruiting closer than I do. However, I don't think i've ever seen a year that had more kids in MN who are borderline D1 / Preferred Walk On type of athletes.

The walk-on recruiting is going to be extremely interesting...

Bob,

Send me a note a [email protected]

As I do this as a hobby I am more than willing to share lists and information with those that follow recruiting as well.

I always think we have a number of diamonds in the rough that don't get exposure for various reasons - stats are posted, haven't been educated on the recruiting process, and generally being from lower-tier football state.

I think every year we have a number of players that are borderline D1, but the media doesn't really cover high school football recruiting and number of these players will eventually get picked up by Dakota schools or D2/D3 programs. Both NDSU and Northern Iowa have a number of MN players are in the FCS quarterfinals. Duluth is in the D2 playoffs. St. Thomas is in D3 playoffs.

Not saying these teams could compete in the Big 10, but the top players could definitely be competitive and build some great depth for the Gopher program. Attached is the website that I attempt to keep updated as I have time.

http://minnesotapreps.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=921&CID=956917

VAmes

I think that the bar has been raised in high school football in the state and we're starting to see the results. It's the reason the Dakota schools were able to go from Div II to Div I FCS. I can remember when Cretin had the only big time program in the state now there's Eden Prairie, Wayzata, and Minnetonka. As the bar is raised we'll see a steady improvement in player quality.

Adam Bungum

My good friend is Adam's cousin. Kill will be visiting Adam sometime next week. Adam has offers from Air Force, Army, Ill, ISU and No Dak. Sounds like he's leaning towards West Point- he visited there last week (his brother is at Air Force, so a service academy is nothing new to him).

Based on his video, he looks pretty fast, especially on the first kick return for a TD (45 seconds into the video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGYaqw1Cx-4

My good friend is Adam's cousin. Kill will be visiting Adam sometime next week. Adam has offers from Air Force, Army, Ill, ISU and No Dak. Sounds like he's leaning towards West Point- he visited there last week (his brother is at Air Force, so a service academy is nothing new to him).

Based on his video, he looks pretty fast, especially on the first kick return for a TD (45 seconds into the video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGYaqw1Cx-4

Bungum does not have offers from Illinois or Iowa St. People with offers from Illinois and Iowa St. don't go to Army. According to both Rivals and Scout, his only offer is from Army, and I tend to believe that's true. Most of the time (not always), players who play sports for the service academies only do so because they have no other decent options.

I think that the bar has been raised in high school football in the state and we're starting to see the results. It's the reason the Dakota schools were able to go from Div II to Div I FCS. I can remember when Cretin had the only big time program in the state now there's Eden Prairie, Wayzata, and Minnetonka. As the bar is raised we'll see a steady improvement in player quality.

That's actually a misconception. Our first State Championship in football was 1999 (we've only ever won 2), well 3, we beat Blaine in '88 but the record books are wrong.

However, by 1999, Lakeville and Stillwater both already had pretty good programs. By the time we won our first state championship, Mike Grant had already won one at Eden Praire a few years before

I know Adam is receiving interest from Iowa State and possibly Illinois, but I haven't heard of offers. If there are offers, I will get the information sooner or later.

Most players that attend service academies don't have BCS offers, but it is not uncommon to have players with FBS/FCS offers. Plus finding D1 football players that can handle a rigorous/real academic schedule is always a challenge.

There are kids that have BCS offers, that choose the Academies, it's just not common. Choosing a service academy, and committing to a life of service, is a calling, and not for everyone. I will never begrudge losing a potential recruit to an academy.

nsmike, it's not like they sign up for 20-year hitches. I believe it is an 8-year obligation. I never begrudge a kid going to a service academy, as they get an absolute dynamite education and a tremendous network upon finishing their service. Still, like you, I salute them.

It's 8 yrs, 5 active, and 3 reserve, but that's not what the expectation is at the academy. I know there are waivers for the active time, and that a lot of officers leave after 5 years, but the academies are geared to produce career officers.

Bungum does not have offers from Illinois or Iowa St. People with offers from Illinois and Iowa St. don't go to Army. According to both Rivals and Scout, his only offer is from Army, and I tend to believe that's true. Most of the time (not always), players who play sports for the service academies only do so because they have no other decent options.

And you would know this how???

And you would know this how???

Common sense. And following recruiting very closely for the last 10 years. Note how I said "most of the time (not always)", so I apologize if you're offended because your sister's friend's boyfriend went to Army over offers from USC, Texas, Oregon, and Stanford.

Common sense. And following recruiting very closely for the last 10 years. Note how I said "most of the time (not always)", so I apologize if you're offended because your sister's friend's boyfriend went to Army over offers from USC, Texas, Oregon, and Stanford.

I'm not offended; I just wanted to know how you were for certain Adam did not have those offers, other than your rationale that people leaning towards the service academies do not have BCS offers. I asked my very good friend, (not "sister's friend's boyfriend...") who is Adam's first cousin, if Kill was going to offer him as a preferred walk on or a full ride, and he said that it better be a full scholarship because he has offers from the schools I listed. We all know that Rivals, Scout, etc are often wrong (Kill has said this point blank as well), and although kids can embellish their offer list, seems to me if Adam is leaning towards Army he's not trying to get a BCS school's attention by fabricating the interest in him.

I don't know about all of that, but I do know that Bungum does not have scholarship offers from Big Ten and Big 12 schools. I wouldn't doubt that Bungum might possibly have walk-on offers from those schools, and he told his cousin that, and his cousin doesn't understand how recruiting works, so in this telephone game that you played, that somehow got translated into scholarship offers.

As I received a note from Adam yesterday, I can confirm his Army and North Dakota offers. He is definitely receiving interest and could have possibly picked-up preferred walk-on offers, which would make more sense.

Regarding service academies, Army-Navy starts in 2 hours for those available to watch. As both teams run option oriented offenses, it will not be the best passing football game to watch. However it is more than just a game as the service men and women stationed and deployed around the world will be watching and cheering on our future troops. Many players in a year's time will be watching the game next year as they will be deployed serving our country.

Back to recruiting updates on the Class of 2012:

- Nice to see Anthony Hill (6'1 180) from Champlin Park pick up offers from SDSU and North Dakota, plus rumored to be receiving interest from Minnesota.

- Ben Lauer (6'7 275) picked up his first offer from NDSU and received an in-house visit from Coach Limegrover.

- Brett Pierce (6'6 250) picked up offers from Northern Iowa and SDSU to go along with his FBS offer from Wyoming.

- Andrew Larson (5'10 195) has picked up an offer from Army and Princeton.

- Karmichal Dunbar (6'2 290) picked up an offer from Louisiana Lafayette.

- Drake Michaelson (6'1 205) is on an official visit to Wyoming this weekend.

- Duke Anwanyu (6'4 200) and Andy Moritko (6'4 215) have taken official visits to SDSU and have official visits lined up for Air Force in January.

Vames,

Could you offer a quick preview of 2013? I've heard almost nothing about next years class. I'm guessing it won't be as deep as this years.

Top Bottom