Minnesota at Michigan 1949 Radio broadcast

Great to hear Halsey again. Thanks BH.

Gordy Soltau

Great to hear Halsey again. Thanks BH.

Gordy Soltau played professionally for somebody. Detroit? Wasn't he an end
as well as a kicker? That was the year we were favored to win the National
Championship. Sounds like we lost that one. I'll have to look it up.

The Gophers lost that game 7-14. It was a bit of an upset with the Gophers being ranked #3 and Michigan #12.

Really fun to listen to though. The off season can be brutal on this board, but this kind of stuff is really fun to check out. So thanks!

Gordy Soltau played professionally for somebody. Detroit? Wasn't he an end
as well as a kicker? That was the year we were favored to win the National
Championship. Sounds like we lost that one. I'll have to look it up.

Gordie Soltau was drafted by the Packers, but played only for the 49ers. He played with them for 9 seasons, made 3 Pro Bowls, and 1 All-Pro team. He played kicker and left end (i.e., wide receiver).

"Nomellini and Tonnemaker make the tackle!" Wow! Thanks for this. A grade school kid, I listened to this broadcast in St. Paul. The Gophers were 4-0 and ranked third in the nation and Michigan was defending national champion, but they had lost a game. The week before the Gophers had wiped out Ohio State 27-0 in Columbus. This was the game after which Bud Grant said Bierman took the team out on the field around 10 a.m. and worked them so hard they were tired during the game - a mistake he said he never duplicated as a head coach. Worse, Bierman publicly blamed the players, saying they "didn't try hard enough." These older players - the war had delayed some of them from starting college - wouldn't take the guff and they rebelled and were flat the following week - homecoming against a mediocre Purdue team - and were upset 13-7, which cost them the Big Ten title and Rose Bowl (Michigan and Ohio State each had a loss and a tie (with each other). The Rose Bowl expectations for the '49ers and their failure to achieve them probably was most of the reason Bierman was fired after the next season, rather than the actual 1950 record of only one win.

There's some good stuff at that website, it would be great if they could have more old Gopher games... maybe even some where the Gophers won. :)

it really is a bummer that billy bye had that boating accident and passed away back in 2009. he was to be honored at the inaugural game against air force along with bud grant and other former gophers.

bye, bud grant, leo nomellini, tonnemaker and others were a great group of gopher players on that 1948 squad.

gophergrad said:
The Gophers lost that game 7-14. It was a bit of an upset with the Gophers being ranked #3 and Michigan #12.

Really fun to listen to though. The off season can be brutal on this board, but this kind of stuff is really fun to check out. So thanks!
Step over to the Gopher Basketball Forum if you think this board is brutal. They may come over here and call for Kill's head next.

Step over to the Gopher Basketball Forum if you think this board is brutal. They may come over here and call for Kill's head next.

Hahaha, I've been keeping myself away from the basketball board for most of the season for exactly that reason.

Maybe this didn't surprise anyone who knows more about the late 40s teams but I thought it was really cool that Bud Grant was all over that clip. I knew he played and was good but still fun to listen to him owning Michigan (even though we still lost that game).

Sid said once that the 49ers were missing the halfback Biermann wanted, some kid named Ashenbrenner,
something like that. I think he played for Northwestern.

Sid said once that the 49ers were missing the halfback Biermann wanted, some kid named Ashenbrenner,
something like that. I think he played for Northwestern.

The funny thing is that Sid was almost 30 years old in 1949.

Top Bottom