Minnesota 30 for 30-what docs are on your wish list?

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
This has been bouncing around in my head for quite some time, maybe ever since the 30 for 30 series first became popular. What stories would you choose to get the ESPN production treatment? Here are my Top 10:

1. Red Lake vs. Wabasso-Revisiting the wild Class A semi-final from 1997, when Red Lake erased a huge 4th quarter deficit to send the game to overtime where they ultimately lost 117-113. It was the first state appearance by a team comprised of all-Native Americans in their lineup vs. a community of 800+ students from far western MN. Would love to see interviews with the players from the game-what it was like to play in that atmosphere, the comeback, memories from the game, etc. (this game's available to watch on YouTube, btw)

2. 60-102. That's the record of the 1982 Twins, the worst record compiled by the franchise in Minnesota until 2016. The Metrodome opened (without air conditioning-that arrived in '83) and after a poor April, the team had a horrendous May (3-26). The year featured the record-setting futility of Terry Felton, who finished the season 0-13 and the flame-inducing closer Ron Davis, acquired at the beginning of the year for fan favorite Roy Smalley. Yet, beyond the putrid start, from July onward, the team played around .500 ball behind the rookies Kent Hrbek, Gary Gaetti, Frank Viola, Tom Brunansky, and Tim Laudner, who would form the nucleus of the team that won the World Series five years later.

3. Millers vs. Saints. I know very little about the history of these two minor league franchises, except that they had a fierce rivalry and at times in their history had HOF'ers Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Yaz, Roy Campanella, Orlando Cepeda, Duke Snider and other notable major leaguers on their rosters. I would love to hear more about the whole history of that time of MN pro baseball.

4. The Musselman Years. For the longest time, I had in my head that the Ohio State brawl precipitated Musselman's departure from Minnesota-I hadn't realized that occurred in the first year! From recent limited reading on Musselman, it was indeed a wild four years-besides the OSU brawl, physical confrontations with players, frequent transfers, late season meltdowns that cost the team Big Ten titles, the pregame festivities, Williams Arena becoming the hottest ticket in town, and Musselman's abrupt departure to the ABA, with sanctions following that handcuffed perhaps the best Gophers squad ever.

5. The Best Recruiting Class Ever. Mark Hall, Cookie Holmes, Daryl Mitchell, Leo Rautins, and Trent Tucker came from Springfield (MA), Miami, West Palm Beach, Toronto, and Flint, Michigan to comprise Jim Dutcher's prize recruiting class in 1978. Rautins transferred to Syracuse after his freshman year, Hall's star-crossed time with the Gophers came to an abrupt end when he quit during his senior year (having dealt with academic and legal issues), and the class as a whole was considered underachievers, until the remaining Gophers pulled off the Big Ten title during their senior year, punctuated by Mitchell hitting two free throws in triple overtime in Iowa City.

6. The Iron Five. It seems this story has faded a bit from the Minnesota sports landscape, but deserves to be highlighted again. The Gophers program was in disarray after Mitch Lee, Kevin Smith, and George Williams were arrested in January 1986 for sexual assault, University President Ken Keller forfeited the next game and Jim Dutcher resigned in protest. With two other players suspended, the remaining scholarship players, seniors Marc Wilson and John Shasky, sophomores Tim Hanson and Kevin Smith, and freshman Ray Gaffney comprised the Iron Five for the final 11 games of the season, supplemented on the sidelines by a couple football players, a walk-on, and Dave Holmgren (Chet's father) who was saddled with bad knees. As I recall, the Gophers next game following the disarray was against Ohio State at home with a packed house supporting the short-handed Gophers who came away with an upset over the Buckeyes. They would only win one more game the rest of the season, but what remains in everyone's memory is the heart shown by the remaining members of the team.

While I'm a big Gopher football/Vikings fan, there's just so much pain there, so I'm only featuring one "episode" from each. Hopefully, in 20 years or so, a documentary on the arrival of PJ Fleck and the program's return to prominence, highlighted by the storybook 2019 season, will make the Top 10.

7. The Integration of Gopher Football. Another story I know little about and would love to read/view a deep dive, as Murray Warmath integrated the Gophers team with standouts such as Sandy Stephens and Bobby Bell, leading the team to Rose Bowls in 1961 and '62, the last appearance by the Gophers.

8. The Architect. Jim Finks was general manager of the Vikings from 1964-1974, bringing in the talent of the dominant NFC team of the '70s, along with hiring Bud Grant. I love watching/reading about the construction of winning franchises and I think this would be a fascinating look behind the greatest team never to win the Super Bowl (at least from my perspective :)).

9. The Rise & Fall of the AWA. I'm sure that I share a childhood memory with many Minnesota Gen X'ers-Sunday morning, racing to the TV set after church, too tune in and see the exploits of Nick Bockwinkel, Mad Dog Vachon, The Crusher, Baron Von Raschke, Rock & Roll Zumhofe, Jerry Blackwell, etc. etc with Mean Gene Okerlund conducting interviews. I would be hooked watching a documentary on Verne Gagne's wrestling organization that absorbed so much of my elementary school age attention.

10. The shocking end of Kirby Puckett's career. Not sure how I'd feel about watching this, in reality. Puckett's sudden retirement in spring training of 1996 was the biggest gut punch I've felt as a Minnesota sports fan, in a life of fandom that has absorbed a Bruce Lee-esque onslaught of gut punches. His subsequent difficult times in retirement followed by his death in 2006 made it all the more difficult for me to see sports in the same light again. However, his baseball career was a shining light on the Minnesota sports scene, the most important athlete ever to showcase his craft in Minnesota.

Alright, those are my Top 10. What did I miss? What other stories deserve the 30 for 30 treatment?

Honest to God, I would like to see a documentary about the 1992 Super Bowl halftime show. The one that was so hideous that the NFL was forced to never, ever allow something that lame again. So bad that shortly thereafter The Simpsons mocked it with Bart watching and delivering the line "C'mon snipers, where are you?"

Last edited:

I am so happy I watched that Red Lake-Wabasso game live. Incredible game and would make a great story.

Your list is solid, here are a few others.

1) Bud Grant
2) Minnesota High School State hockey tournament
3) MLB Home Run Derby and how it got it's start at the 1985 All Star game at the Metrodome.

Honest to God, I would like to see a documentary about the 1992 Super Bowl halftime show. The one that was so hideous that the NFL was forced to never, ever allow something that lame again. So bad that shortly thereafter The Simpsons mocked it with Bart watching and delivering the line "C'mon snipers, where are you?"

That made my day, thanks!

Goodness, I don't know whether to thank you or curse you for this Frink. I was in my sophomore year of colllege, so chances are I was drunk at the time, so I never saw this before. A few thoughts on this:
1. It's the whitest thing I've ever seen and that has nothing to do with Frosty or the snowflakes
2. The Frosty rap song at 4:30-ummm, who thought this would reach the audience they were trying to reach?
3. Brian Boitono from a distance looks like Gob from Arrested Development. I was expecting magic tricks.
4. The ghost of Freddie Mercury and the other members of Queen must have been so proud to have their song bleached for this adaptation of their song
5. Nothing makes me think Minnesota and winter more than Gloria Estefan (Minnesota Sound Machine?) I understand that Prince wouldn't have been attached to this at all, but I would be hard pressed to come up with a singer/band less attached to Minnesota winters than Estefan.
6. Again, that's the whitest thing I've ever seen in my life.

Love the topic coolhand!! Of your list, my favorites were 3, 4 and 9.

A few more I'd throw out there:

- The Joe Smith illegal signing. How does something like this come to fruition. Who all knew about it, how was the final decision made, how did they not think they'd get caught.

- The Hershel Walker trade. Again, how does something like this come to fruition? What did Hershel think of the trade? How badly were the Cowboys laughing when they made the trade?

- Chisholm legend Moonlight Graham. We really only know a bit about him from Field of Dreams, but he has one of the shortest careers in MLB history. Did that weigh on him? How did he end up as a doctor in a small MN town? What does his family think about his story becoming a piece of history following Field of Dreams and how has that changed their lives?

- Trevor Winter's NBA career would be fascinating mini-30 for 30. Big Trev played in 1 career game, played in 5 career minutes, 3 rebounds, 5 fouls (all on Shaq I believe). But hey, he can say he was an NBA player. After that game did he know his NBA career was over? Would he have done anything differently in that 5 minutes (re: jack 3's like Mark Madsen?)

- I'd hate to watch it, but seems like a 30 for 30 on Clem's downfall and Ganglehoff would be a story. Clem preached and preached ethics and yet he was spearheading a massive academic fraud scandal. Did Courtney James really think he'd get away with a dissertation on women's menstrual cycle? What tipped Jan over the top (I realize she's dead now so it would all be second hand).

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Go Gophers!!

If we're doing Minnesota 30 for 30's, we have to do one on the most interesting personality and dominant athlete in Minnesota sports history, The Super Freak Randy Moss.

From his surreal rookie year to "straight cash homie" to mooning the Green Bay crowd in a playoff game to squirting the ref at St. Louis to his utter dominance on the field to his self destructive behavior to his ability to electrify a crowd to his endearing personality that has come to the forefront post-career...he's truly one of a kind.

Go Super Freak!!

Stories have been done before on it, but not to the level of a 30 for 30, but seems like the greatest World Series game ever pitched, Game 7, 1991 warrants at least a mini- 30-for-30. Smoltz pitched a gem as well, but Morris' performance may never be topped. Interview Smoltz, TK and his decision to leave him in, interview Brian Harper on what it was like to catch that game, interview Knoblauch about his heads up decoy, and then dive deep into the fiery soul of Jack Morris.

Win Twins!!

the Joe Smith signing would be a fascinating story if you could get people to go on the record.

The Early years of the Vikings - Coach Norm Van Brocklin was by all accounts a very hard person to get along with. Feuded with his own players and most of the press. Apparently those first couple training camps were legendary.

Regarding Musselman and the Gophers - The Team that Got Away. After Musselman left, Olberding and Landsberger both left the team. if they had stayed, the Gophers could have potentially had a team with Olberding, Landsberger, Mychal Thompson, Flip, Ray Williams, Goose Lockhart, and Dave Winey. and then Kevin McHale a year later. I could cry thinking about how good that team could have been.

And - #1 on my list - the Push-Off. Drew Pearson- Nate Wright. One-on-one to finally tell the story of the biggest non-call in Vikings History. With special guest Armen Terzian. (if they could only find the fan who threw the whiskey bottle......)

Another mini-30 for 30 that came to mind was the Vikings botching of the draft pick, back in 2003, when they didn't get the pick selected in time, were jumped twice, and still ended up with Kevin Williams (thankfully). Of course, it lives with us until Paul Allen no longer has a show, but Mike Tice stepping up to the microphone to address the livid crowd is a true Minnesota sports memory.

Another mini-30 for 30 that came to mind was the Vikings botching of the draft pick, back in 2003, when they didn't get the pick selected in time, were jumped twice, and still ended up with Kevin Williams (thankfully). Of course, it lives with us until Paul Allen no longer has a show, but Mike Tice stepping up to the microphone to address the livid crowd is a true Minnesota sports memory.
Could also easily talk about the Wolves and the draft. From the bad picks to them never moving up in the lottery.

- The Hershel Walker trade. Again, how does something like this come to fruition? What did Hershel think of the trade? How badly were the Cowboys laughing when they made the trade?
Go Gophers!!
That is a must.

I like the Jack Morris 7th game one. That's a good one Bleed.
Another could be about Brooks. (I know they did the movie.)

I don’t know if anybody would know or care other than short obstinate norske and myself, but having grown up in southern MN the undefeated Sherburn basketball team of 1970 beating South St. Paul 78-62 for the championship in the last 8 team tournament. It’s the 50 year anniversary of David vs. Goliath and a great prep story.

I don’t know if anybody would know or care other than short obstinate norske and myself, but having grown up in southern MN the undefeated Sherburn basketball team of 1970 beating South St. Paul 78-62 for the championship in the last 8 team tournament. It’s the 50 year anniversary of David vs. Goliath and a great prep story.
Also the 1960 Edgerton team. Another one for you.

after that tournament, every kid in MN wanted to be McCarron or Mulso.

A few off the top of my head:

John Gagliardi and St. John's football -- winning with no's
Shattuck's -- the Hogwarts of Hockey
Apple Valley wrestling dynasty expose
US Pond Hockey Tournament (on Lake Nokomis)

A few off the top of my head:

John Gagliardi and St. John's football -- winning with no's
Shattuck's -- the Hogwarts of Hockey
Apple Valley wrestling dynasty expose
US Pond Hockey Tournament (on Lake Nokomis)
I think they should look into the Pool Hockey Championship of 1986.

Pool Hockey was a game invented in 1983 by my group of friends in H.S. It is played in an empty wading pool. Goals are made out of 2 x 4's and sheets taken from home. Goalies are fully protected by equipment not returned by our former goalie friend. Goalies use racquetball rackets and baseball gloves. Everyone else uses knee pads stolen from a school not named. Uniforms are tie dye shirts made the night before. Hockey hair is optional.

My team won the final championship in 86 in incredible fashion. The trophy was smashed to bits by the angry team that lost.

There is still vhs footage of it.

The reunion game in 2009 did not go well. I think I am still exhausted from it.

a 30-for-30 on Ernie Nevers and the Duluth Eskimos might be fun. They were an early Pro football team, but rarely played home games, so they spent most of their existence playing on the road. their star player and coach was Ernie Nevers, who is in the NFL HOF.

There was a bad movie with George Clooney that was loosely based on the Eskimos. ("Leatherheads")

A couple more that have popped up as the discussions have been occurring...

* St. Paul's Hall of Famers: The story of Dave Winfield, Jack Morris, and Paul Molitor, all coming through different St. Paul high schools in the late 60s/early 70s and forging paths to the major leagues and eventually Baseball's HOF, with significant milestones occurring while members of the Twins, late in their careers.

* Hamline's place in college basketball and MN basketball history

* Lindsey Whalen

* I am not much of a hockey guy, but from the little I know, the story of Henry Boucha would be quite interesting as a biopic. Also, the Roseau-Warroad rivalry, hockey hotbed.

* Damned if I've been able to come up with a positive T-Wolves related story-the best I can come up with is the decision to draft KG out of HS. Everything else with this franchise is so depressing-as already stated, their lottery misfortunes, the botched draft picks, the era of David Kahn.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but a doc on the Minneapolis Lakers would be interesting. have to use a lot of archive footage, because almost everyone who was around then is dead - except Sid.

But the Lakers were the first real dynasty in pro basketball, and George Mikan was the dominant big man of his era. They actually changed the rules and widened the lane to force Mikan away from the basket.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but a doc on the Minneapolis Lakers would be interesting. have to use a lot of archive footage, because almost everyone who was around then is dead - except Sid.

But the Lakers were the first real dynasty in pro basketball, and George Mikan was the dominant big man of his era. They actually changed the rules and widened the lane to force Mikan away from the basket.
Whitey Skoog died last year at 92. I think that leaves Bud Grant as the last man standing from those Laker teams

Top Bottom