Minnesota #15 in defensive S&P+

By the advanced stats, Michigan is way fracking better than anyone is giving them credit for. #9 defense, #42 on offense. Guessing the difference between stats and performance comes down to their insane propensity for turnovers, and marginal special teams play.

Defense was #65 last year, or slightly worse than average.

By the advanced stats, Michigan is way fracking better than anyone is giving them credit for. #9 defense, #42 on offense. Guessing the difference between stats and performance comes down to their insane propensity for turnovers, and marginal special teams play.

And penalties.

I thought this was something to get excited about until I noticed Mich. St. at #26 and TCU at #39. Those defenses are better based on the eye test. That said, I think this defensive unit is overall better than last year's and is top 25 in the nation.

I thought this was something to get excited about until I noticed Mich. St. at #26 and TCU at #39. Those defenses are better based on the eye test. That said, I think this defensive unit is overall better than last year's and is top 25 in the nation.

If you look at the combined rank, Michigan State is #10 in the country and TCU is #12. At least according to this statistic, it's the offense that is better for both teams by a fairly large amount. Believable for TCU, slightly less so for MSU.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa

SEC West in the overall rankings:

#1 Alabama
#5 Texas A&M
#8 Ole Miss
#9 Mississippi State
#13 LSU
#14 Auburn
#31 Arkansas

Wow. By comparison, the SEC East:

#16 Georgia
#23 South Carolina
#28 Missouri
#45 Florida
#46 Tennessee
#67 Kentucky
#80 Vanderbilt

Amazing how lopsided the divisions have become.

Bill Connelly (of Football Outsiders) writes on Michigan:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/9/23/6832571/nebraska-football-ameer-abdullah-stats

On a per-play basis (in a system that counts turnovers simply as non-successes until drive data is factored in after seven weeks), they are good enough to rank 19th in the country, just one spot behind a team that beat them by 31 points and 11 spots ahead of a team that beat them by 16. But in ways similar to 2011 Texas A&M and 2011 Notre Dame, they're figuring out ways to make their failures count double, and it seems they (and their fans) know the failures are coming before they happen.

Top Bottom