Minnesota’s P.J. Fleck wants to know how Big Ten expansion affects conference’s beloved commercial

BleedGopher

Reaction score
The Big Ten Conference will look very different in just a few months when the UCLA Bruins, USC Trojans, Washington Huskies, and Oregon Ducks join the fold later this year. The conference will still boast more than ten teams, but it will now branch out across the entire United States from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean.

However, with the new teams comes the need to update the Big Ten’s famed commercial. Set to “Silver Lining” by Guards, the commercial treats viewers to a 30-second tour of the conference by panning over the map and showing one or two famous landmarks per school. In a world of bland, basic commercials, it stands out as one of the best of the best.

“I’m just excited to see what the new Big Ten commercial looks like,” Fleck said regarding conference expansion. “My favorite commercial on the Big Ten Network. You know, for us, the spoon and the cherry pop up, there’s an ice skating rink. It’s going to be interesting when that commercial gets dropped and what it looks like from west to east,” he added.
The commercial already starts with the Rose Bowl, so the solution is likely as simple as just zooming out a bit more to include the four West Coast schools before panning east. Changing anything else, including the song, would be a poor decision by the powers that be.

Go Gophers!!

USC: White horse & Coliseum columns, UCLA: even more banners than Indiana, Oregon: track & a swoosh, Washington: Sailgating & Space Needle.

I never noticed until now, but the commercial partially foreshadowed this realignment. It opens with the Rose Bowl then moves East over mountains before popping up in the plains of Nebraska.

I never noticed until now, but the commercial partially foreshadowed this realignment. It opens with the Rose Bowl then moves East over mountains before popping up in the plains of Nebraska.
I think that had more to do with the B1G's history playing in the Rose Bowl than realignment. Could be wrong...

Reverse the sequence.

Rutgers claims to be the Birthplace of College Football, so start there and head west.

Add a detour to the PNW to include Washington and Oregon, then swing down to show UCLA and USC, ultimately ending where we all want to end, at the Rose Bowl.

I think that had more to do with the B1G's history playing in the Rose Bowl than realignment. Could be wrong...
I know, but funny how things worked out years later.

Reverse the sequence.

Rutgers claims to be the Birthplace of College Football, so start there and head west.

Add a detour to the PNW to include Washington and Oregon, then swing down to show UCLA and USC, ultimately ending where we all want to end, at the Rose Bowl.
You’d have to do the flyover early in the morning, or you’re going to get too much sun glare.

You’d have to do the flyover early in the morning, or you’re going to get too much sun glare.
Be careful or you'll collide with the ACC's plane filming it's Stanford footage.

funny, I've been wondering about this commercial myself... how long will it take to traverse the whole country now, and can they just add on to the start?

It was weirdly one of my first thoughts as well. I hope they use the same song and have a very similar theme, with more stops on the tour.

I, for one, love the commercial and can't wait to see the update. UCLA, USC some beach and Hollywood scenes. Washington the Space Needle and Mount Rainer and Oregon Mount Hood and the Rose Festival

I know many fans seem to like the commercial, but I have an irrational hatred for this song, and thus the commercial as a whole.

I know many fans seem to like the commercial, but I have an irrational hatred for this song, and thus the commercial as a whole.
You don't want to live forever, or you do care? 😉

Top Bottom