Minnehaha Academy alum Hercy Miller inks $2MM endorsement deal

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Hercy Miller, the son of rapper Master P, has signed the most lucrative sponsorship deal in the early portion of the name, image and likeness era in college athletics. The 6-foot-3, 160-pound point guard out of Minnehaha Academy in Minneapolis will make $2 million on the deal with Web Apps America, according to his father.

Miller is committed to Tennessee State University, where he'll play in the fall.

"It's incredible. This is gonna change the way college athletes want to stay in school," Master P told TMZ Sports.

Go Gophers!!

In comparison, Hercy Miller's coach Desmond Oliver makes $325K/year.

Go Gophers!!

Web Apps America is a legit and up-and-coming company. I just applied for their Fall internship position. Fingers crossed.
That would be the one intern position on their website, the one for the Fall of 2019? Looks like a great firm to work with. They're really on top of their game...

Would've been easier for his dad to just gift him the money instead of laundering it through some extremely legit company, but to each their own I guess lol
Not really. You cant write off giving your kid $2 million on your taxes.

If a mid major bench guy can get that much dough looks like every power five player in the country will be set for life Master P will being coaching in the NBA soon as well. The whole thing sounds like one man’s ego trip.

Am I missing something? Is this all because he’s a rapper’s son? Granted, I’m not super into HS basketball, but never heard of the dude until now. 24/7 doesn’t have him ranked.

Am I missing something? Is this all because he’s a rapper’s son? Granted, I’m not super into HS basketball, but never heard of the dude until now. 24/7 doesn’t have him ranked.
His dad brokered the deal and the deal is moreso made with dad than son is my guess

There goes the argument higher profile schools will have the best endorsement opportunities, but I suppose being the son of Master P has it's own benefits.

Is this an endorsement? To rephrase the question, is Hercy Miller worth 2million in name recognition and value to this web solutions company? Or is the 2 million for him to go to TSU, which this company has ties too? Would Hercy have gotten 2 million to attend the U or the is 2 million because this company has ties to TSU and HBCU's?

Companies can now pay players to attend the schools they have ties too. Does the U have enough companies and business connections to bring in these guys and be competitive?

Not that it matters anymore, because the deal is done, like it or not, but this is the exact situation that the naysayers(myself included) thought this might turn into. And it only took a week....

Did Ben offer this kid or was Shy Ben leaving incoherent messages.

this is not good... I don't care however you want to spin it.. no beuno

Is this an endorsement? To rephrase the question, is Hercy Miller worth 2million in name recognition and value to this web solutions company? Or is the 2 million for him to go to TSU, which this company has ties too? Would Hercy have gotten 2 million to attend the U or the is 2 million because this company has ties to TSU and HBCU's?

Companies can now pay players to attend the schools they have ties too. Does the U have enough companies and business connections to bring in these guys and be competitive?

Not that it matters anymore, because the deal is done, like it or not, but this is the exact situation that the naysayers(myself included) thought this might turn into. And it only took a week....
This is entirely his dad giving him $2 million through a shell company. He is not worth $2 million. The company, itself, isn't worth $2 million.

As far as the U, I think it's going to be more about people who generate clicks than it is about having companies and business connections. I think these athletes are going to make money in a similar way to how podcasts make money.

As to it impacting the U, i'm not sure if it helps schools like us more than Ohio State. Ohio State was ALWAYS going to get the top recruits but with the chance of making money on endorsements, there might be a HIGHER premium on getting early playing time - - or being THE man rather than A man.

But honestly, I have no idea how it's going to turn out.

Master P is worth like $800 million. Just giving his son some walking around money. Will happen again in a couple years when Mercy goes to school.

Master P is worth like $800 million. Just giving his son some walking around money. Will happen again in a couple years when Mercy goes to school.
He gave USC and Tim Floyd some walking around money to give Romeo a scholarship too.

I don't think this is the exact situation naysayers thought this might turn into. If it were Chet Holmgren, maybe; Hercy Miller, most definitely not.

Edit: Since we're talking HBCUs, maybe Jalen Suggs would've been a better example, albeit a year late.

I don't think this is the exact situation naysayers thought this might turn into. If it were Chet Holmgren, maybe; Hercy Miller, most definitely not.

Edit: Since we're talking HBCUs, maybe Jalen Suggs would've been a better example, albeit a year late.
The funny thing is, with Chet Holmgren, he would be worth the money. Chet or Jalen will are likely worth more than $2 million in endorsements.

The Hercy Miller situation is entirely his dad using it as a way to help his sons "brand" and give him $2 million.

This is entirely his dad giving him $2 million through a shell company. He is not worth $2 million. The company, itself, isn't worth $2 million.

As far as the U, I think it's going to be more about people who generate clicks than it is about having companies and business connections. I think these athletes are going to make money in a similar way to how podcasts make money.

As to it impacting the U, i'm not sure if it helps schools like us more than Ohio State. Ohio State was ALWAYS going to get the top recruits but with the chance of making money on endorsements, there might be a HIGHER premium on getting early playing time - - or being THE man rather than A man.

But honestly, I have no idea how it's going to turn out.
Exactly. Dude is weak.?

A dad can’t just give his son $2 million? He has to do in roundabout ways now?
Pretty sure a parent can, but in excess of $10,000/year is taxed (this is my recollection). People can try roundabout ways to bypass this but they can run into legal jeopardy like appears will happen in the Trump organization based on the hints from the charges against the CFO and the Corporation.

Top Bottom