Military appreciation week. Ski-U-Hooah

Gopher028

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Looks like they're sticking with the gold block M instead of the stars and stripes like the
previous two years.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not so much a fan of the big stickers..... I liked the stars and stripes M on the helmet better than these stickers.

Honestly it seems like every week is Farmer / Military Appreciation week. I like food and the folks who serve and all, but maybe loses some meaning when it seems like it occurs every game to some extent.

I wonder what the check was like, been coming out lately that college teams are being paid tens of thousands of dollars and NFL teams millions by the military to "honor" the troops.

Not so much a fan of the big stickers..... I liked the stars and stripes M on the helmet better than these stickers.

Honestly it seems like every week is Farmer / Military Appreciation week. I like food and the folks who serve and all, but maybe loses some meaning when it seems like it occurs every game to some extent.

I'm with ya.

I wonder what the check was like, been coming out lately that college teams are being paid tens of thousands of dollars and NFL teams millions by the military to "honor" the troops.

Source?

I'd rather lose a war and have to learn how to speak Russian than have to see the Gophers wear white pants at home again.

They've talked about it this week on The Dan Patrick Show.On there they said that it was only NFL teams. Can't find a source that says college teams also got paid, but didn't look long either.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...llion-from-defense-department-in-last-4-years

According to a report from Christopher Baxter and Jonathan Salant of NJ.com, the Department of Defense has paid 14 different NFL teams a total of $5.4 million over the last four years in exchange for patriotic displays at games.

Per NJ.com's report, "U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz) last week called out the New Jersey Army National Guard for the spending, which, in part, paid for a segment at Jets home games in which soldiers were featured on the big screen, thanked for their service and given tickets to the game."

The National Guard responded by asserting that it was a useful recruitment tool.

"Promoting and increasing the public's understanding and appreciation of military service in the New Jersey Army National Guard increases the propensity for service in our ranks and garners public support for our Hometown Team," Guard spokesman Patrick Daugherty said.

The Jets were joined by the Falcons, Ravens, Bills, Bengals, Browns, Packers, Colts, Chiefs, Vikings and Steelers in receiving multiple payouts, while the Cowboys, Dolphins and Rams were each one-time recipients. The team that has received the most money from this practice is the Falcons, with a total of $1,049,500 coming their way in five payments.

Here's the full list from NJ.com:

Yeah, that's advertising from the U.S. Army National Guard. This is Coach Kill honoring the brave men and women in ALL of our armed forces for all that they do for our country.

I thought the individual stickers would explain that...

They've talked about it this week on The Dan Patrick Show.On there they said that it was only NFL teams. Can't find a source that says college teams also got paid, but didn't look long either.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...llion-from-defense-department-in-last-4-years

According to a report from Christopher Baxter and Jonathan Salant of NJ.com, the Department of Defense has paid 14 different NFL teams a total of $5.4 million over the last four years in exchange for patriotic displays at games.

Per NJ.com's report, "U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz) last week called out the New Jersey Army National Guard for the spending, which, in part, paid for a segment at Jets home games in which soldiers were featured on the big screen, thanked for their service and given tickets to the game."

The National Guard responded by asserting that it was a useful recruitment tool.

"Promoting and increasing the public's understanding and appreciation of military service in the New Jersey Army National Guard increases the propensity for service in our ranks and garners public support for our Hometown Team," Guard spokesman Patrick Daugherty said.

The Jets were joined by the Falcons, Ravens, Bills, Bengals, Browns, Packers, Colts, Chiefs, Vikings and Steelers in receiving multiple payouts, while the Cowboys, Dolphins and Rams were each one-time recipients. The team that has received the most money from this practice is the Falcons, with a total of $1,049,500 coming their way in five payments.

Here's the full list from NJ.com:

Geez that is tacky and so UN-Patriotic.

Yeah, that's advertising from the U.S. Army National Guard. This is Coach Kill honoring the brave men and women in ALL of our armed forces for all that they do for our country.

I thought the individual stickers would explain that...
Read the first article linked, the table there shows Army and Air Force as also paying for these kinds of things. The military stuff is going way overboard at sporting events.

I guess in an all volunteer force as our armed services are, sporting events are a great place to recruit top talent. In the grand scheme of things that isn't a lot of money to spend on advertising, I see both points. I would say in most cases with college ball, the schools aren't getting paid, but they do get the parachute teams and such which are also recruiting tools and use of taxpayers money.
I for one think a tasteful tribute like this is a great way to show support. For most people in the Midwest, it is easy to forget we are still very much at war and an active force around the world. Good for the team. Now what color will the Jersey and pants be???

I guess in an all volunteer force as our armed services are, sporting events are a great place to recruit top talent. In the grand scheme of things that isn't a lot of money to spend on advertising, I see both points. I would say in most cases with college ball, the schools aren't getting paid, but they do get the parachute teams and such which are also recruiting tools and use of taxpayers money.
I for one think a tasteful tribute like this is a great way to show support. For most people in the Midwest, it is easy to forget we are still very much at war and an active force around the world. Good for the team. Now what color will the Jersey and pants be???
No problem with them advertising, but it's presented as a tribute or honor done by the University/Athletic Dept/Pro team out of the goodness of their heart when in fact it's bought and paid for advertising. I don't think anyone forgets were at "war" regardless of where we live in the country because it's blasted non-stop on media.

I was hoping we'd have Carrie Mathison help us assassinate big red in honor of the CIA.

No problem with them advertising, but it's presented as a tribute or honor done by the University/Athletic Dept/Pro team out of the goodness of their heart when in fact it's bought and paid for advertising. I don't think anyone forgets were at "war" regardless of where we live in the country because it's blasted non-stop on media.

Can you present any sort of fact or evidence to support that this isn't the University or Coach Kill doing exactly that?

As a vet, I'd rather they fund the VA than thank me at a sports event.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom