Miles Fleming Hits The Portal

So that leaves us with Walley, Watson, Pless, and Kelly for scholarship cbs? Gonna need to find at least two I would think through the portal. Or some of the guys listed at safety might be able to play cb.

So that leaves us with Walley, Watson, Pless, and Kelly for scholarship cbs? Gonna need to find at least two I would think through the portal. Or some of the guys listed at safety might be able to play cb.
Will be very surprised if we don't see at least 1 CB from the portal. Will be interesting to see how the CB position shakes out.

The expectation for some time has been that we will get 2 CBs from the portal. Fleming being here or not hasn't had any bearing on that.

Some further notes:

- Fleming was playing at slot corner, so with Jack Henderson's arrival/emergence, the writing may have been on the wall with this one.

- There is a pretty reasonable expectation that Zaquan Bryan will come in and be able to play meaningful snaps this season (ala Justin Walley as a freshman)

Some further notes:

- Fleming was playing at slot corner, so with Jack Henderson's arrival/emergence, the writing may have been on the wall with this one.

- There is a pretty reasonable expectation that Zaquan Bryan will come in and be able to play meaningful snaps this season (ala Justin Walley as a freshman)
you're post fills me with temporary relief, thankyou

Some further notes:

Also suspect that the recent transfer from Miami of Ohio (physically Henderson 2.0), might be moving Fleming down the chart. I really like Fleming. Seems like a great kid. Positive. Made real stride ms here, I believe. Wish him success at his next destination. He deserves it.

Also suspect that the recent transfer from Miami of Ohio (physically Henderson 2.0), might be moving Fleming down the chart. I really like Fleming. Seems like a great kid. Positive. Made real stride ms here, I believe. Wish him success at his next destination. He deserves it.

They are definitely viewing Zolman as a Sam LB.

By all accounts, Fleming is a very good kid who didn't want to be a backup in his 4th year. For perspective, Fleming had played 7 games solely on special teams in 3 years.

By all accounts, Fleming is a very good kid who didn't want to be a backup in his 4th year. For perspective, Fleming had played 7 games solely on special teams in 3 years.
I thought he was a contributor in STs. Hope he finds a place to get in the field with the defense.

I thought he was a contributor in STs. Hope he finds a place to get in the field with the defense.

Zolman for STs?

Zolman should be at the very least a contributor on special teams this season, but will definitely have a chance to compete with Gerlach for that Sam LB spot (which was getting snaps in our defense about 1/3 of the plays in 2022) as well.

Real opportunity for a top-notch CB transfer to come here and prosper. But it might just be that PJ is willing to start 2023 with Rhyland Kelly (played well in spring game), Tariq Watson and incoming Frosh Zaquan Bryan. Depth needs to be addressed though.

Perhaps PJ has his eyes on someone not in the portal officially yet, a “riser” from a lower conference.

I'm starting to work on my backpedal and press coverage. Looks like one of us will be getting the call soon!
I’m with you.

Let’s meet up at the bar afterwards… or before… maybe during a break or two…

Real opportunity for a top-notch CB transfer to come here and prosper. But it might just be that PJ is willing to start 2023 with Rhyland Kelly (played well in spring game), Tariq Watson and incoming Frosh Zaquan Bryan. Depth needs to be addressed though.

Perhaps PJ has his eyes on someone not in the portal officially yet, a “riser” from a lower conference.

I think the staff are going to great lengths to keep any interest in specific transfers very under wraps. Hence, no word on Zolman even visiting until after he committed. The concern is that once a program like Minnesota is interested, other programs who throw NIL around up front to recruits will follow the "recommendation" and try and poach. Things are getting very cloak and dagger in CFB

Yeah, they obviously didn’t predict the attrition as the high school class didn’t address the position.

Wasn't Gousby playing there in the spring game? I was half watching it and the angle was weird, so I could definitely be wrong, but I thought he was covering guys on the outside.

I think the staff are going to great lengths to keep any interest in specific transfers very under wraps. Hence, no word on Zolman even visiting until after he committed. The concern is that once a program like Minnesota is interested, other programs who throw NIL around up front to recruits will follow the "recommendation" and try and poach. Things are getting very cloak and dagger in CFB
Becoming like the NFL when they close off parts of their facility and keep it super hush hush when they bring in free agents for a look. Don't want other teams to find out who they are talking to.

I was wondering if one of the Colorado kids would fit in here.....

unfortunately, that is one of the downsides to the transfer portal era.

If a player gets to his 3rd year and they are not starting or at least seeing a lot of snaps, it's a lot easier now to say "screw it" and hit the portal in search of a different opportunity.

and that makes an impact on the depth chart - a team may not lose many kids who are running with the 1's and the 2's, but they get hit at the next level - the kids that in the old days would stick around as special-teams players or developmental players in hopes of getting playing time as a senior. without doing a ton of research, I would bet that those type of players make up a fairly significant % of players going into the portal.

Wasn't Gousby playing there in the spring game? I was half watching it and the angle was weird, so I could definitely be wrong, but I thought he was covering guys on the outside.
I thought Gousby was at safety. I wasn’t watching closely enough either. I thought it was Ryland Kelly who made a good coverage play in the endzone on Spencer near the end of the game. But I’m foggy in specifics!

The expectation for some time has been that we will get 2 CBs from the portal. Fleming being here or not hasn't had any bearing on that.
Guess they're going to be grad transfers, then? Because the window for non-grad transfers closes Sunday.

(Aside: would seem like a lot, maybe approaching half(?), of transfers would indeed be such grad transfers. It really is possible to get an undergrad degree in 3 years, even 2.5 if you enroll early spring, and take classes every summer)

That makes perfect sense, then.

I think there are a lot of CBs in the portal, but fewer than one would think with decent playing time in a good program. Seems as if many would be a “push” with Miles Fleming. PJ might have a line on someone not formally in the portal yet.

Looks like Wisconsin just had 3 cbs hit the portal as well.
Kind of off topic but one of the most annoying thing about Wisconsin fans is their takes on the transfer portal

When a Minnesota player hits the portal, its always "they don't like fleck" "they saw Fleck is a sham with his culture"

Yet when a Badger hits the portal, its "He was buried on the depth chart" and "we already have talent there"

some of the most annoying people to interact with

Top Bottom