Mike Woodson To Indiana

Wow. He is 63 years old and never a collegiate HC (or even an assistant). At least he has NBA head coaching experience, but wow. I was grossly opposed to the BJ hiring, but at least our hire is better than this. Going to go out on a limb and assume their board is in full melt down mode.

3 new B1G head coaching gigs this year. All three are black, with no previous college head coaching jobs. If you don’t think there is a ton of pressure from the presidents of these schools to hire a certain type of person, I’m not sure what to tell you.

IU hires former Hawks and Knicks coach Mike Woodson. After talks of getting all of the great lower level coaches they settle for him. Gophers clinch at least 13th in the conference next year (lol).

Indiana Basketball, I'd like you to meet your brother from another mother, Nebraska football.

IU hires former Hawks and Knicks coach Mike Woodson. After talks of getting all of the great lower level coaches they settle for him. Gophers clinch at least 13th in the conference next year (lol).
And they hired Thad Matta as an associate AD for men's basketball. I'm assuming it will be a GM-type role to help with assistants, recruiting, and day to day operations on campus. Could be a good idea; could end up being another chef in the kitchen.

And they hired Thad Matta as an associate AD for men's basketball. I'm assuming it will be a GM-type role to help with assistants, recruiting, and day to day operations on campus. Could be a good idea; could end up being another chef in the kitchen.
I am pretty sure he can't help with recruiting outside of talent evaluation.

I wish we had a raised eyebrow emoticon for this one. I read somewhere that Matta was offered the job, but failed the physical-seems like a very awkward way to bring him into the fold.

Indiana basketball=modern MLB. A lot of strikeouts and a lot of home runs (they just overlook the home runs part of the equation).

I wouldnt have minded woodson, at least we know he can coach defense.

Gophers made flinch with their hire, and now IU made me flinch with their hire too.

I need a drink.

I am pretty sure he can't help with recruiting outside of talent evaluation.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Plus maybe working some contacts he might still have, putting the right bugs in Woodson's ear.

I wish we had a raised eyebrow emoticon for this one. I read somewhere that Matta was offered the job, but failed the physical-seems like a very awkward way to bring him into the fold.
Coaching hires are subject to physicals?

Too bad
Indiana basketball=modern MLB. A lot of strikeouts and a lot of home runs (they just overlook the home runs part of the equation).
Too bad for Thad. Seems like a good guy and the health issues are the result of at least one botched back surgery.

Last edited:

They hired a basketball guy, it seems to be the trend. Michigan is doing ok with it.

They hired a basketball guy, it seems to be the trend. Michigan is doing ok with it.
Yeah, I don't know why there's celebration around here about this choice. Clyde Drexler may have failed at Houston but Juwan Howard is sure doing very well at Michigan.

Woodson played for the Hoosiers during their glory years and nostalgia is still strong there. I'm not sure who else would fit the bill of having head coaching experience and played for Knight during the golden era. Well, Isaiah Thomas but that wasn't happening.

Woodson played for the Hoosiers during their glory years and nostalgia is still strong there. I'm not sure who else would fit the bill of having head coaching experience and played for Knight during the golden era. Well, Isaiah Thomas but that wasn't happening.
There was a lot of Keith Smart steam early.

Wow. And I thought our hire was bad. Anybody care to venture onto the Indiana basketball forum and let us know how they're taking it?

We would be doing cartwheels if Thad came along with our hire.
Not if the hire was Sam Mitchell.

OSU fell off badly once Matta's health issues started. If he still failed a physical, what magic is he going to work as an associate AD?

Does anybody know what exactly is wrong with Matta?
He has some sort of back problem. I just remember when he was still coaching, he had to wear a brace on one leg because he had no feeling in it and had foot drop.

Wow. And I thought our hire was bad. Anybody care to venture onto the Indiana basketball forum and let us know how they're taking it?
Better than we did. Seems about 50/50 love/hate.

Top Bottom