Mike Sherels

oleboy41

Reaction score
I'm sure its been talked about in other threads but is he being retained? Haven't seen anything reported but noticed his wife tweeted something about him working hard recruiting or something (only saw it because someone retweeted, wasn't Twitter stalking). Then heard Doogie say that Sherels was involved in reaching out to Rhoda along with Fleck. If so wouldn't it make sense to announce that soon? Anyone hear anything else?

I expect he'll be retained as LB coach, but nothing formal yet. Certainly will be formalized by end of day tomorrow. The guys over at 247 had this to say:

http://minnesota.247sports.com/Bolt/Fleck-Assembling-His-Coaching-Staff-50466938

Former WMU ST Coach Rob Wenger is believed to be joining Fleck in Minnesota as well, though not yet confirmed. NIU DBs Coach Melvin Rice and MN LB Coach Mike Sherels appear early favorites as each position. Sources indicate that Fleck received a large influx of interest while at the AFCA this week however, so will take the next few days to hammer out the best individuals for his final open positions.

The NCAA will vote and rule on allowing team's to carry a tenth assistant this April, which will make room for one more addition at that time.

No word yet.

Sherels and O'brien were specifically retained for the transition. I think that means both have a better chance than most to stick around. Sherels is a feel good story, recruiter, all around good guy to keep around, but also doesn't take up a valuable spot. O'brien could potentially go back to the athletic department too.

Sources indicate that Fleck received a large influx of interest while at the AFCA this week however,

We are the hot girl at the dance...

The wait for news should be over soon, on Sunday Fleck said that he wanted to have his new staff in place by Thursday, so I would expect staff announcements tomorrow.

It would be very bad PR for Fleck to not retain Sherels. He is local, well liked and has been a compelling story with his health issues.

If Sherels is gone, a lot of good will for Fleck will evaporate.

It would be very bad PR for Fleck to not retain Sherels. He is local, well liked and has been a compelling story with his health issues.

If Sherels is gone, a lot of good will for Fleck will evaporate.

Pretty much. There were few assistants I liked, but not realistic and I understand fresh start. I feel bad for many (even Billy Glasscock seems out of job, his job is now posted) but get it. It's what happens

Ill continue to be fans of outgoing staff and current staff/team.

I hope they retain Sherels, I am curious if his tweet will make that more difficult.

I'm sure its been talked about in other threads but is he being retained? Haven't seen anything reported but noticed his wife tweeted something about him working hard recruiting or something (only saw it because someone retweeted, wasn't Twitter stalking). Then heard Doogie say that Sherels was involved in reaching out to Rhoda along with Fleck. If so wouldn't it make sense to announce that soon? Anyone hear anything else?

Didn't you say you're not a Gopher fan anymore?

I would say a coordinator spot would be of more concern.

Perhaps, but they're all still valuable. You only get 9 people who can recruit for your team. Your position coaches are spending more individual time with the players (outside of possibly the S&C staff) and doing more small-group football skills teaching than anyone. They all get paid comfortably into six figures. They're all valuable and none can be given away because of public sentiment or earning goodwill with the fanbase. I empathize with Mike Sherels' story and it really sucks that his health problems are happening to anyone (let alone someone so young and with young kids), but Fleck has to hire the best person for the position and not let other factors weigh into it whatsoever. If he determines that that person happens to be Mike Sherels, wonderful, but it has to be for football reasons and nothing else. There are a lot of other people with health problems who bleed maroon and gold, but none of them are going to be position coaches for the Gopher football team.

I wonder if they keep him in an administrative role.

New Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck is walking the green carpet at the American Football Coaches Award with a slice of pepperoni pizza in his hands.

I also heard that Miss Lippy's car is green.

Perhaps, but they're all still valuable. You only get 9 people who can recruit for your team. Your position coaches are spending more individual time with the players (outside of possibly the S&C staff) and doing more small-group football skills teaching than anyone. They all get paid comfortably into six figures. They're all valuable and none can be given away because of public sentiment or earning goodwill with the fanbase. I empathize with Mike Sherels' story and it really sucks that his health problems are happening to anyone (let alone someone so young and with young kids), but Fleck has to hire the best person for the position and not let other factors weigh into it whatsoever. If he determines that that person happens to be Mike Sherels, wonderful, but it has to be for football reasons and nothing else. There are a lot of other people with health problems who bleed maroon and gold, but none of them are going to be position coaches for the Gopher football team.

While I respect your points(and mostly agree), I think it is missing another possibility. That possibility would be that he stays with the program in another role. I think most all of us hope that he remains the linebacker coach. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a different role if Fleck goes in a different direction.

I think it's likely that both Sherels and O'Brien will have the opportunity to stay in some capacity. Probably no announcements because it depends on the other hires whether that will be coaching, football administration or other athletic department positions.

If we want to be national championship contenters you need a whole stable of coaches with obscure titles. Then its just next man up in the coaching ranks also. That's how Bama rolls and Ohio state ect.

How is Sherels holding up physically? I honestly don't know, is he looking for a FT position coach/recruiting position, or something less physically draining?

How is Sherels holding up physically? I honestly don't know, is he looking for a FT position coach/recruiting position, or something less physically draining?

Recruiting Coordinator. Something like that.

If Claeys was fired for supporting the team publicly, how can Coyle allow Fleck to keep Sherels who did the same thing? How would they justify that? Are assistant coaches allowed to behave however they want? Does Fleck get a free pass to do whatever he wants with his staff with no regards to the incident?

I like Sherels and hope he comes back but if they let him come back, the line of what is okay and what isn't becomes even more arbitrary.

No inside information, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Sherels on the admin side when its all said and done.

With his short-gut syndrome it's going to be difficult for Mike to retain his strength, energy and endurance. Wouldn't be surprised by a move to recruiting admin or into the AD office

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No inside information, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Sherels on the admin side when its all said and done.

Agree. I mentioned this in another post, but I'll be surprised if either are coaches next year. They were kept to maintain ties with recruits. Once that's done (after signing day), I would bet they will either move into the Athletic Department, move to another school (unlikely IMHO) or transition to the private sector. It will be a "dream offer" or "offer they couldn't refuse" or "ideal position" or some such. The real question is whether it is public before or after signing day. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the day after, just like the RB coach retained when Brew was canned that "left" for Wisconsin (Hammock?).

If Claeys was fired for supporting the team publicly, how can Coyle allow Fleck to keep Sherels who did the same thing? How would they justify that? Are assistant coaches allowed to behave however they want? Does Fleck get a free pass to do whatever he wants with his staff with no regards to the incident?

I like Sherels and hope he comes back but if they let him come back, the line of what is okay and what isn't becomes even more arbitrary.

Dah, dah DAHHH!!!!

Get a grip. :cool:

Perhaps Sherels will be kept on at the U in recruiting office or AD

Agree. I mentioned this in another post, but I'll be surprised if either are coaches next year. They were kept to maintain ties with recruits. Once that's done (after signing day), I would bet they will either move into the Athletic Department, move to another school (unlikely IMHO) or transition to the private sector. It will be a "dream offer" or "offer they couldn't refuse" or "ideal position" or some such. The real question is whether it is public before or after signing day. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the day after, just like the RB coach retained when Brew was canned that "left" for Wisconsin (Hammock?).

I think I agree with this, that Sherels due to health situation may not remain on coaching staff. I could see him working for the U athletic department though.

Sherels probably gets retained in a admin role, but with a 10th assistant being added this spring we might have to wait until then to know his future role. I bet the move O'Brien back to an Associate AD role for football and maybe Sherels becomes director of football operations or personnel or something. If his health situation were different I'm sure it would be a no brainer for him to coach linebackers.

Perhaps Sherels can be Minnesota's outreach ambassador to Pat Fitzgerald.

Wow, I hope the school admin can find a spot for him.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow, I hope the school admin can find a spot for him.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Agreed. Love this family but sadly he is having another operation and his ongoing health is a concern.

Top Bottom