Mike Sanford Maryland Comments per Burns

If a Bowling Green team is going to be prepared for the run up the middle, its tough to scheme around that.
It was more than scheme, Bowling Green had our coaches spinning like Tops, and we looked completly un-prepared. They kind of gave us a dose of our own medicine and we were completely not prepared for it up front. That and we didn't adjust our line calls and protections with our running backs and tight ends. They kept rolling the safety up, and twisting between the Free Safety and linebackers up front which confused our O-line. That and guy's were dropping balls and Morgan panicked and didn't adjust the line calls up front to pick up the free blitzers. Give BG some credit they caught the Gophers off guard (Pant's around the ankles), I know this is hard to say but on that day they flat out coached the Gophers up front. Still a disappointing loss because if we execute and adjust up front and without the stupid 4th down play that gave BG a touchdown the Gophers win that game as bad as they played.

Sanford seemed really impressed with how Williams stepped up his game and what did for the offense and he was really impressed with how much the oline and tight ends and CAB rallied around Bryce

loved this bit on the two young RBs; we need them to grow up in a hurry and be difference makers:

" Ky Thomas was fantastic in pass protection, and I'm talking 10 out of 10. You look at the touchdown from Tanner to Mike Brown. It's a fantastic throw that he made, but that was a corner blitz from what I'd say is the the most physical corner in the country. It's a one-on-one block and you got to hold up with a double move out on the perimeter and Ky just stones Cam Taylor-Britt.... and I think Bucky showed his ability to potentially get loose and he just keeps growing and he keeps the learning with every rep. Every rep that he gets is so valuable in practice and in games and I think you're gonna see continued growth from him."

especially since he noted multiple times how good he thinks Taylor-Britt is..

Sanford's names to fear, matchups to watch vs The Turtle:

"... the guy that really makes them go to me is Jakorian Bennett. He's a really good player. He's got athleticism and a leader. He's so important to them and their ability to stop the explosive play just like Cam Taylor-Britt was for Nebraska. Nick Cross is a really good player. I think their secondary is good and then you got a lot of really athletic dudes up front with length."

"I'm anxious to see just how we match up because of their length and athleticism. There's a lot of "power forward" big body types for them, so I'm looking forward to see in the way we match up with them, both the pass game and the run game up front."

Maryland will have several guys back on D who were out for the last few games. A starting LB and two very good CBs. The team we will face isn’t exactly the same team that Iowa and OSU faced. Maryland will be down a couple on offense, but up a few in defense. We’ll be ready, I suspect.

Iowa's offense scored 51 points and rolled up over 400 yards against these guys and threw for almost 300.....Iowa....let me say that again......Iowa scored 51 points and had over 400 yards of total offense against them.

If our offense can't put up points on this Defense that will be extremely disappointing.

Iowa's offense scored 51 points and rolled up over 400 yards against these guys and threw for almost 300.....Iowa....let me say that again......Iowa scored 51 points and had over 400 yards of total offense against them.

If our offense can't put up points on this Defense that will be extremely disappointing.
A little color/perspective behind those 51 points. Maryland turned it over 7 times (6 Ints and 1 fumble). 3 of Iowa’s scoring drive were for 10, 26, and 45 yards. We should be able to move on them, but I’m hoping we avoid a track meet like last year (our D is markedly better/improved). Don’t turn it over, contain their QB a la Martinez, and stay balanced and attack strategically on O - and it’ll be a great Saturday.

Also, if your best WR goes down after the first play, might as well throw in the towel (along with the game plan)
I like PJ, but yeah, that was Frost confused by Illinois front level dumb statement

There will be starters playing on defense for Nebraska that were out for Iowa. I think we will put up points on Maryland, but Iowa’s point total is based in large part on short, and some extremely short, fields from six (6!) interceptions and one fumble recovery. Our offense could roll up materially more yards than Iowa’s and not come near 51 points if it isn’t gifted seven turnovers with short fields to play with. If our defense get seven turnovers, maybe our offense runs Maryland off the field, too! Every game is different.

Last edited:

There will be starters playing on defense for Nebraska that we’re out for Iowa. I think we will put up points on Maryland, but Iowa’s point total is based in large part on short fields from six (6!) interceptions. Our offense could toll up materially more yards than Iowa’s and not come near 51 points if it isn’t gifted a half dozen short fields. Apples to oranges.
With the way our defense is playing we don't need to score 51, we just need to score and we should be able to against this defense. Iowa benefitted from forcing a lot of turnovers but their horrible offense still managed to move the ball quite effectively.

All the usual caveats apply, if we play bad they can/will beat us. But if we show up and play well this one could easily be a route.

With the way our defense is playing we don't need to score 51, we just need to score and we should be able to against this defense. Iowa benefitted from forcing a lot of turnovers but their horrible offense still managed to move the ball quite effectively.

All the usual caveats apply, if we play bad they can/will beat us. But if we show up and play well this one could easily be a route.
No disagreement. Just wanted to point out that we put up 400 yards of offense against Nebraska, and didn’t waste much (only a couple of punts). We scored 30 points. I think we can do that and more against Maryland if we keep on the complementary O snd D trajectory we have been on recently. But there is no way 400 yards of offense translates into more that 28-31 points unless the offense has been gifted some extremely short fields by a turnover happy defense. Maryland averages 447 yards of offense per game. Their average point total is 30 per game. You don’t get to 51 points, or anywhere near, on 400 yards of offense unless you are getting defensive scores and/or several short fields.

Last edited:

Sanford seemed really impressed with how Williams stepped up his game and what did for the offense and he was really impressed with how much the oline and tight ends and CAB rallied around Bryce

loved this bit on the two young RBs; we need them to grow up in a hurry and be difference makers:

" Ky Thomas was fantastic in pass protection, and I'm talking 10 out of 10. You look at the touchdown from Tanner to Mike Brown. It's a fantastic throw that he made, but that was a corner blitz from what I'd say is the the most physical corner in the country. It's a one-on-one block and you got to hold up with a double move out on the perimeter and Ky just stones Cam Taylor-Britt.... and I think Bucky showed his ability to potentially get loose and he just keeps growing and he keeps the learning with every rep. Every rep that he gets is so valuable in practice and in games and I think you're gonna see continued growth from him."

especially since he noted multiple times how good he thinks Taylor-Britt is..

Sanford's names to fear, matchups to watch vs The Turtle:

"... the guy that really makes them go to me is Jakorian Bennett. He's a really good player. He's got athleticism and a leader. He's so important to them and their ability to stop the explosive play just like Cam Taylor-Britt was for Nebraska. Nick Cross is a really good player. I think their secondary is good and then you got a lot of really athletic dudes up front with length."

"I'm anxious to see just how we match up because of their length and athleticism. There's a lot of "power forward" big body types for them, so I'm looking forward to see in the way we match up with them, both the pass game and the run game up front."
PJ should fire Sanford for calling Irving "Bucky"! Clearly, he's not with the program and isn't willing to change his best, therefore not elite!!

I didn’t like Sanford’s response when asked about the Flea Flicker. He said he’s always liked trick plays and it’s kind of a roll of the dice when to use them. Really?? Geez, there is a time to use trick plays and it is predicated on the defense and how they are reacting to certain offensive formations. At this level, there shouldn’t be any offensive coordinators that don’t have a good idea of when a trick play can work.

I think Sanford needs to go back to coordinator school.

I didn’t like Sanford’s response when asked about the Flea Flicker. He said he’s always liked trick plays and it’s kind of a roll of the dice when to use them. Really?? Geez, there is a time to use trick plays and it is predicated on the defense and how they are reacting to certain offensive formations. At this level, there shouldn’t be any offensive coordinators that don’t have a good idea of when a trick play can work.

I think Sanford needs to go back to coordinator school.
Sanford will be gone after the end of this season. PJ will realize he made a mistake. If not, he’ll have to fire him during the season next year.

Top Bottom